Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Proposed 2024 Groundfish Regulation Change Summary (3/22/2024)  (Read 1567 times)

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Regulations were passed by the Commission this morning. After the presentation by Marci Yaremko she said she wanted to thank all of the persons involved with providing input to staff. The first person she recognized was Paul Chang.

Thank you Paul for giving kayak fishermen a voice in the process. And thanks for speaking today to the commission about keeping our petition in their thoughts.   
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Regulations were passed by the Commission this morning. After the presentation by Marci Yaremko she said she wanted to thank all of the persons involved with providing input to staff. The first person she recognized was Paul Chang.

Thank you Paul for giving kayak fishermen a voice in the process. And thanks for speaking today to the commission about keeping our petition in their thoughts.
YES!  Thank you!
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

🙌🙌
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
4.   Vermillion limit reduction to 2-sub bag limit in all areas except Northern Groundfish Management Area, which has a 4-sub bag limit.

Is there a data based reason for this change?  I have a feeling that it's exploratory management.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I'm just waiting now for the first official post for a FNC! Let's gooo!!
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
4.   Vermillion limit reduction to 2-sub bag limit in all areas except Northern Groundfish Management Area, which has a 4-sub bag limit.

Is there a data based reason for this change?  I have a feeling that it's exploratory management.

I didn't follow the vermilion issue closely, but they did run a model to estimate Total Mortality vs. Harvest Limit.
You can read more details about the change from the following Staff Summary: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=221407&inline

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009

Thank you so much Paul for your effort (plus the effort by everyone else involved)! I can't wait for this RF season. The irony is that I actually didn't fish for rf much in the last few years. But when they changed the rules last year, it felt like they took so much from us.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Curious, why do you have that feeling?

-Allen

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

-Allen
Just for me personally, I've caught a lot more verms in recent years than prior.  Last year probably more than any other single year. But, I could have just gotten better at fishing  :smt005
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen
Just for me personally, I've caught a lot more verms in recent years than prior.  Last year probably more than any other single year. But, I could have just gotten better at fishing  :smt005

So for your sample size of 1, your data suggests that we should increase the verm limit.  Got it.   :smt003

All the data is here, https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2022/01/the-status-of-vermilion-rockfish-sebastes-miniatus-and-sunset-rockfish-sebastes-crocotulus-in-u-s-waters-off-the-coast-of-california-north-of-point-conception-in-2021-december-2021.pdf/

And yes, since 2000 the fishery has steadily been improving, going from below the minimum target level, to crossing over the maximum target level in 2015.  So yeah, it is understandable your increased verm success.  The current concern is effort shift increasing the catch too much, pushing the population back down below threshold.

-Allen

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
What are there rules for party boats for a descending device ?
Another question:  if your on a party boat and you have caught your limit do you have to stop fishing ? My son said they move fish from your bag to others who have not caught limits and every one keeps fishing ?

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Another question:  if your on a party boat and you have caught your limit do you have to stop fishing ? My son said they move fish from your bag to others who have not caught limits and every one keeps fishing ?

What are there rules for party boats for a descending device ? Same rule
Another question:  if your on a party boat and you have caught your limit do you have to stop fishing ? My son said they move fish from your bag to others who have not caught limits and every one keeps fishing ?  There is a boat limit rule.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011

What are there rules for party boats for a descending device ? Same rule
Another question:  if your on a party boat and you have caught your limit do you have to stop fishing ? My son said they move fish from your bag to others who have not caught limits and every one keeps fishing ?  There is a boat limit rule.

Paul
Thanks for the clarification...

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

Every party boat I've been on in the past has had a descender on board.  The mates will descend a fish for the angler.  The majority of them use the simple upside down milk crate with 10-15 lbs of lead on it.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Every party boat I've been on in the past has had a descender on board.  The mates will descend a fish for the angler.  The majority of them use the simple upside down milk crate with 10-15 lbs of lead on it.

I have only been on one party boat in the Bay Area and while it did have a descender (one attached to a fishing pole), it sat unused as the boat left a wake of floating canary and other rockfish. I hope your experience is more typical than mine.

anything