Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 07:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:07:49 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 08:05:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 07:59:32 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 10:47:14 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 10:41:39 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Quagga & Zebra Mussel Inspections  (Read 758 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Seemed like there have been a few comments on Quagga / Zebra Mussel's in another post, so thought I would just create a new topic for the discussion. 

Some places are fairly lax about the regulations, while others like to give the "white glove" treatment for any boat or kayak that is trying to launch in their waters.  Personally i'm turned off by the whole white glove approach and try to avoid places that are that strict.  However it makes me wonder about the places that aren't strict, or don't inspect at all, as well. 

It just makes me wonder, how many lakes in California have been infested with these mussels since the first regulations for inspection were put in place back in 2006?  I've looked, and I cannot seem to find any data on recent infections.

As far as the inspection regulation/process goes they are outlined on this page for reference:  https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Invasives/Quagga-Mussels

They even have a video:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i'm guessing you're asking for something like maybe a map.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/mollusks/zebramussel/maps/CaliforniaDreissenaMap.jpg

one could argue that the lack of newer infections means the inspection process is working  :smt005

one could also argue that its stupid that we have this inspection process statewide, but it is not a coordinated statewide effort and each lake has their own restrictions.  this is an issue for individuals who boat multiple different lakes and have to go through the inspection process even if banded at a different lake.  for example, the ebmud lakes all take the same bands, but if i was to take my boat to del valle, i would need to go through a whole new inspection and fee since its not EBMUD.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thanks for that link Ben! Working backwards found some other interesting maps on the same site under this link:

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/mollusks/zebramussel/

See that two infections have occurred near to the Bay Area.  One is listed as Ridgemark Golf Course. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ridgemark+Golf+and+Country+Club/@36.8139078,-121.3634612,676m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf266fa30d7be30d7!8m2!3d36.814155!4d-121.3636172

They better start doing inspections there!  "Hey buddy, your golf bag is a bit damp!  Your outta here!"  :smt044
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nah, they'll have to start doing inspections on ducks and geese. 

I havent fished any of the santa clara county lakes since they started inspections.  Only freshwater i will fish is the delta......but i still have to pay a $15 mussel sticker fee to the state when i pay for boat registration.  Mussels based mandates flippin suck.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
maybe we could have a compendium of lakes with / without inspections and if they inspect how invasive the inspections are?

Something like:

Del Valle, Livermore, Inspection - Yes, very invasive
Shadow Cliffs, Pleasanton, Inspection - No (but may change as EBRPD deems fit)
Lake Chabot, Hayward, Inspection - Yes, fairly lax

Just a suggestion.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
The only lake up this way that inspects is Ruth Lake.  Not at all rigorous.  $3 fee.

If you guys ever go to Oregon there are inspections at the border truck weigh stations.  They open in March and go through October.  I5 is open most of the time, but this year 101 has only been open one time that I went through and I was going south so I didn't have to stop.

They will inspect your boat and clean it for you if necessary before you are allowed to proceed.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
maybe we could have a compendium of lakes with / without inspections and if they inspect how invasive the inspections are?

Something like:

Del Valle, Livermore, Inspection - Yes, very invasive
Shadow Cliffs, Pleasanton, Inspection - No (but may change as EBRPD deems fit)
Lake Chabot, Hayward, Inspection - Yes, fairly lax

Just a suggestion.
they are currently discussing whether to add inspections to shadow cliffs.  I hope they don't, as I see little purpose for it as the water doesn't drain anywhere. 

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
They were originally discovered in San Justo Res, in Hollister, in 2005ish. That's what prompted all the Santa Clara Co & East Bay Regional parks. Side note: san justo receives water from the delta! 
But I didn't know they found em in a pond at Ridgemark golf course in 2012...which basically proves that they're distributed by birds & wildlife...because you can't launch any kind of vessel in the golf course pond!!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
They need to be more lenient on waterfowl hunting licenses.
<=>

Pacific

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Maybe one of our great State legislators can do a bill requiring all waterfowl to have diapers so they will not deposit the quarantined mussels in uncontaminated areas. See how easy it is problem solved.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
they are currently discussing whether to add inspections to shadow cliffs.  I hope they don't, as I see little purpose for it as the water doesn't drain anywhere.

buffer zone, better if kept clean, mitigate secondary transfer to places that is be draining somewheres?

anything