Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:25:49 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 03:03:07 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Worst Lobster Opening Day for Us by Capsizing  (Read 4338 times)

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Since my wife and I got our limits (14 total) on last year’s opening day, we had high hopes for this season.  We have been lobster hoop netting for the last five seasons and all ways look for the opening days.  Our go-to bait has been salmon heads purchased from a Korean grocery store for $.99 per pound until last season.  However, this season the price doubled, and we decided to purchase a small quantity and mix it with other leftover baits I found in my garage freezer.

I left our Southern CA condo when I was done with work at 3:30 PM, arrived at our destination before 5 PM, and soon launched our Hobie Oasis.  It was very crowded with kayakers and inflatable boaters.  Got to our spot and waited until 6 PM, as the season opens.  Dropped all out 5 hoops and patiently waited until 7:20 PM.  Typically we get our 50% catch on our first pull.  The first pull was no keepers, just several undersized ones.  Tried two more sets, and still no keepers.  We decided to head home; on the way back, my wife wanted to try a different spot.  We did two more pulls, and still not keepers.  Time to head home.  It was close to 10 PM, and as we approached the kayak pier, it was very crowded.  As I was about 50 yards away, I removed both sides of the Hobie Sidekick outrigger to be able to pull to either side of the pier.  I was heading to one side of the pier, but at the last minute, I had to change direction to the other side.  I shifted my weight to one side to help turn, which is a technique I use when we are on our tandem kayak with outriggers.  As I did this, the kayak started tilting, and we got capsized.   I am experienced with capsizing solo kayaks, but it is my first time in our tandem kayak.  The good news was that my wife didn’t panic, as I had always told her.  We were only 10 yards away from the pier and had full wetsuits and PFDs.

Most of the gears were attached to the kayak; we dropped our five hoop nets with rope and bait containers.  Since my wife was getting cold, I decided to come back the next morning to retrieve the lost gear.  By the time we came home and took a shower, it was close to midnight.  We got up at 4:30 AM the next morning and returned to the pier with fishing poles, but I could not spot my lost gear.  We launched our kayak and looked around, but the ocean bottom was empty.  I guess someone retrieved our gear. 

I need to purchase five 32” diameter Ambush hoop nets and seal-proof bait containers to get back into lobstering.  It taught us a valuable lesson and why we should follow safety rules.
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Sorry to hear about your mishap.  Thanks for sharing your story and hope you catch your limit next time.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Oh my friend...I am glad you are well...bummah' to da max...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
oh dang, sorry to hear that, but glad you are both well

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Bummer Paul, sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad everyone exited the water ok,
With gratitude and humility

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Very sorry to hear of the lost gear and even worse the skunk on lobstering.  Your reports have certainly made me want to do this, I need to give it a try some day.  I don't think I have ever had fresh lobster before even.  Will keep an eye out for any good stock of ambush hoops for you.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Very sorry to hear of the lost gear and even worse the skunk on lobstering.  Your reports have certainly made me want to do this, I need to give it a try some day.  I don't think I have ever had fresh lobster before even.  Will keep an eye out for any good stock of ambush hoops for you.

If you ever want to try, just let me know.  It is a bit scary the first time to go out in the dark but you get used to it the second time. 
As I get replacement hoops and bait containers, we will go back and chase them again.
Always be ready for an emergency and follow all safety rules seriously.

Paul
Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I'm really sorry to hear you lost your gear. That must be so frustrating to lose it so close to the launch. I leave my pots attached to their ropes and use buoys that are big enough to float the traps if they go overboard. It really doesn't take that much to float a hoop net even with a few pounds of added weight. I can easily stack 3 hoop nets even with the floats. I sometimes attach the floats to the top trap with a carabiner so they can't fall off. Thanks for sharing and reminding us to be careful.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Sorry to read this, Paul. Glad everyone is ok.

Al

Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm really sorry to hear you lost your gear. That must be so frustrating to lose it so close to the launch. I leave my pots attached to their ropes and use buoys that are big enough to float the traps if they go overboard. It really doesn't take that much to float a hoop net even with a few pounds of added weight. I can easily stack 3 hoop nets even with the floats. I sometimes attach the floats to the top trap with a carabiner so they can't fall off. Thanks for sharing and reminding us to be careful.

Thank you for the suggestions.  To minimize the stacking height for 5 hoops, I typically remove buoys.  The only easily accessible location I have is the space behind me on our Hobie Oasis.  I even placed an approximately 3-foot-long PVC pipe close to the rudder to make sure hoops would not hinder the rudder's operation.  Learned from experience.

Paul
Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sorry to read this, Paul. Glad everyone is ok.

Al

My wife and I are happy that our cell phones weren't damaged.  My cell phone was attached to a silicon lanyard and inside my wetsuit jacket.
If our phones got damaged, it would be major damage.

Paul
Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

Loebs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
sorry for the mishap.I keep my hoops attached to my buoys. I would like to try lobstering too every year I tell myself to try it out.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
Hi Paul,
Glad you and wife are good.... and the cell phones.   Sorry you lost gear.... it seem that with me this always occurs after or during a skunk.... make me remember it all the more and also makes me reconsider all of my safety gear and proceedures.  Thanks for the sharing of a story with a good ending (except the skunk and lost gear).

I would love to join you next year as I love lobster and know nothing about that fishery.

Troy

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
As my wife went into the water, she was yelling "My cellphone." 
I hold her to not worry and focus on getting out of water first.

I will try to get a group together for the next season opener.

Paul
Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

anything