Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:59:06 PM]

[Today at 09:28:04 PM]

[Today at 09:14:25 PM]

[Today at 08:09:22 PM]

[Today at 06:29:06 PM]

[Today at 05:46:39 PM]

[Today at 05:19:02 PM]

[Today at 04:11:20 PM]

[Today at 09:05:07 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Monday, 25 July Somewhere Sonoma Coast or Tomales  (Read 1389 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Never having had targeted halibut before, what size of hooks should I be tying up on my trap rigs? I'm assuming a 1/0 or 2/0 octopus on the front, and  #2 or #4 treble in the back? I would think 25 pound leader should be sufficient?
Yes, stinger about 4"-6" back depending on bait size.  25lb is good, I've been using a 6 treble but thats just me. 
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

revrat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Had a blast. It was nice meeting a couple of you guys. For the first trip in my new boat, and first time having myself in a kayak and fishing from it, I'm going to call it a success! I caught a pile of bait on Eddie's recommendation and advice, and headed to the north/west side of the island and started fishing. I found a really fast drift close to the west shore, and lots of unproductive water. I moved closer to the island and fished 15-20 feet of water, and got the first bite on the kayak. I never saw it. Hell, I never even got it to turn! Whatever it was, it ripped off about 40 yards of line instantaneously, and cut my leader above the hook. I assume it was a plus sized leopard shark, but who knows. A while later, I decided to relax a bit and fire up a stogie. As soon as I got my cigar lit, I felt a bite, and waited for weight. I felt the fish load my rod, and was soon tied into my first ever halibut. It came up with no real fight until I missed the first gaff shot. On the second try, I stuck the gaff through it's head, and got it on the clip and cut his gills, and I was feeling quite proud of myself. It was no world beater, but it was an easy keeper, about 12 pounds. A little after that, I was watching a powerboat do battle with a big bat ray, and my reel started singing. That ended up being a nice leopard shark a little over 4 feet long. They're supposedly not bad eating, so it went on the clip too.

The sun started roasting me as I was way overdressed for the warm conditions, so I took my catch and headed for the house early, feeling satisfied. I stopped and got a cold brew at the bar, where the bartender was nice enough to give me a bag of ice for my fish, saving me a trip to the store, and headed home.

I learned a lot. I've got some notes on things to change, things to leave home, and things to add. I can carry a lot less crap. Throwing my fish bonker in the hull was a bad idea. That firm looking sand bottom just off the end of the boat ramp is not sand, nor is it firm. However, it is quite deep! There is a better way to carry a 15 foot kayak on my pickup than in a J-hook rack. After cleaning that leopard shark, my fillet knife may never be the same. It's nice to know that my stuff wasn't 100% retarded on my maiden voyage, but there are things to improve upon.

I hope everyone else caught fish. I know Eddie had one butt on the clip when I left.

Anyway, it was nice meeting those of you that I talked to, and I'll definitely be out there again, a little closer to dialed in boat and gear wise.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Nice job. Next time I hope we get to fish together.  :smt006

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Congrats on a nice day revrat.  That first fish could have been a thresher.  There have been a number of them hooked out there in the last few weeks.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
great job on the water!!

were you drifing or anchor when you got those bites?

i'm anxious to give tomales bay another shot, hopefully soon :)

revrat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
It could have been a thresher I guess.....no telling now. It was definitely fast, and powerful. I didn't know they would come into the bay. I thought they were mostly offshore sharks. It's cool that they come in there. I might be hesitant to tangle with one of those from a kayak for fear of getting my butt whipped in a literal sense.

All my bites were drifting. I did have one other scratched bait that produced no hookup. I never saw that bite on a rod in the rod holder.

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Wow, what an amazing first trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Perfect first time action!  You scored mega lessons on that trip, and, you brought home food and your target species.  We will fish again.........goooooood times :smt006   
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm