Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 08:07:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:34:36 PM]

[Today at 07:16:17 PM]

[Today at 07:04:45 PM]

[Today at 01:04:03 PM]

[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

[Today at 08:12:28 AM]

[Today at 07:35:53 AM]

[Today at 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 09:32:40 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bad news for near-shore fishing at Albion & to Central Coast on Sept 1  (Read 8635 times)

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
The water tends to get murky really fast in ncka discussions

There are a couple of fisheries science people who could shed some light on all of this. Clayman comes to mind and some others i can’t think of at the moment

There are also some heavier hitters but that would be a start

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I don't thin I have EVER caught a quillback rockfish from Half Moon Bay on down to SLO. My impression has always been they just do not live here?  Or, are extremely rare?  How often do you guys in Sonoma and Mendo get them while fishing nearshore?  I suspect it's the usual overreach reaction from DFW...

and, I do not like it.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
so I loose my phone in Spring Lake on sun afternoon, Get back on here on Tues nite and WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever the BS that took over, 
WE ONLY HAVE 1 SATURDAY LEFT OF FISHING

THAT SUCKS!!
Sorry Honey, I'm going fishing!
Scotty
I've never caught a Quillback
 in Sonoma or Mendo Co.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 10:19:07 PM by scottymeboy »
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

JoeDubC

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
so I loose my phone in Spring Lake on sun afternoon, Get back on here on Tues nite and WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever the BS that took over, 
WE ONLY HAVE 1 SATURDAY LEFT OF FISHING

THAT SUCKS!!
Sorry Honey, I'm going fishing!
Scotty
I've never caught a Quillback
 in Sonoma or Mendo Co.

Saturday looks windy. Best to call in sick Thursday or Friday. It’s gonna be crowded.
Hobie i9
'21 Hobie Outback Papaya

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I rarely catch quillback unless I’m fishing 120ft or deeper.  The quillback fishery is healthy.  The data or pseudoscience that CADFW is using is horsehit
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Bushy wrote:
<snipped> . . . How often do you guys in Sonoma and Mendo get them while fishing nearshore?

I have never caught a Quillback in either county. Also not in Humboldt.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

paddler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Bushy wrote:
<snipped> . . . How often do you guys in Sonoma and Mendo get them while fishing nearshore?

I have never caught a Quillback in either county. Also not in Humboldt.
Nearshore quillback do exist in shallower water but they are nursery stock I believe. Caught a few in 60-80' but they were less than 8" in length. They get larger the deeper you go.
The satisfaction you get from doing a good deed is like pissing in your wetsuit...it gives you a warm feeling inside but nobody else gives a shit.

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Would it be legal to fish the usual halibut beaches in 40 to 100 feet of water if no rockfish are retained? I don’t see why not, as long you claim to be targeting halibut…
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Yes.  You can still fish inside the 50 fathom line, but you can’t keep or have any rockfish aboard
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Would it be legal to fish the usual halibut beaches in 40 to 100 feet of water if no rockfish are retained? I don’t see why not, as long you claim to be targeting halibut…
Correct. You can fish shallower than 50fm, but you can’t retain any RCG caught.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Yeah, I've never caught a quillback here in Sonoma.  Guess no lings for me this year

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I'm starting to get worried about unsafe yakkers attempting to find rockfish with these restrictions. Multiple posts in FnS going up about: how far to 50 fathom, or closest spot to rockfish?

Joe could we add a section regarding safety for nearshore boaters? If only this restriction had a slot like 10-50 fathoms or something. We are all mentioning never seeing quillback below 100' deep anyways. Just impossible to enforce I think is the issue.
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm starting to get worried about unsafe yakkers attempting to find rockfish with these restrictions. Multiple posts in FnS going up about: how far to 50 fathom, or closest spot to rockfish?

Joe could we add a section regarding safety for nearshore boaters? If only this restriction had a slot like 10-50 fathoms or something. We are all mentioning never seeing quillback below 100' deep anyways. Just impossible to enforce I think is the issue.

https://tinyurl.com/MPAand50FMRCA

It's pretty far out there
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Gotta love California.  Decriminalizes drugs, theft, anything that is a public nuisance, severely restricts the ability of law enforcement to enforce the few laws that still remain and releases those that are convicted of serious crimes early,  buuuuuut criminalizes fishing.  And you can bet that is one they will enforce and punish to the fullest extent possible. California leadership at its finest.

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
More woke based decisions, most likely based on a biased problem statement that led to a biased subjective study, maybe studies, which led to poor decisions. The ultimate decision was most likely already made awhile back and just took the right nudges to make it work. Unfortunately, this happens more than most of us want to admit. Research is now rarely objectively conducted in both the hard and soft science fields. Let’s not be naïve.  :smt075 : :confused2:

Clarification: First and foremost my use of the term "woke" was in a much larger context (more than the common understood definition found in social media searches. That is where they want to keep you). There is clearly a "woke" ideology found in environmental issues. Let me make myself clear that I am in no way of speaking about "woke" in a social justice context. Period. No whistles no parties. Let's get pass that conversation. I am speaking to a clear agenda in the way we view our natural resources and now manage them as well. Welcome to reality. It is challenging to have it both ways.

My main point was regarding how decisions are made and studies are approached by so many researchers/universities/organizations. My opinion is based on years of teaching graduate level research and writing, test, measurement and assessment and alike classes. My view comes from reading hundreds of dissertations, thesis and advising students.  I have come to the conclusion that most researchers come with their own prejudices/agendas to a study and do their best to stay there as well. There is often a clear emotional/agenda (often politically motivated) that is dragged into the research which leads the author or team to ignore other possible independent variables from the beginning and other even secondary findings that may have significance to their conclusions (many time blindly ignored). I believe some of this behavior is based from ego and pride; but can also be political from the individual or institution's agendas. Consider who is picking up the tab. I am not saying this lack of true research is in every study, but a great wise and educated man once told me, "everyone has an agenda". And yes I had an agenda as well in teaching the classes. I wanted students to keep their eyes wide open and honestly attempt to disapprove their own thinking. It was only then, could we find the unspoken truth beyond our own prejudices of the study.

On point, I have never caught a quillback. California, as well as many other states are closing the lids tight. I truly hope our resources are not at a tipping point where we are in need to continue to prescribe such drastic closing measures.
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

anything