Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:33:54 AM]

[Today at 11:33:18 AM]

[Today at 11:16:20 AM]

[Today at 09:54:38 AM]

[Today at 09:51:03 AM]

[Today at 09:10:22 AM]

[Today at 08:22:51 AM]

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: General Crabbing Tips  (Read 47803 times)

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
BTW - great idea piggy-backing the shrimp trap.  I sent you a PM of what I found from coastside.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
here's my #1 crabbing tip that i learned from last year.  listen up, this will be the best tip you have ever heard.

before throwing the trap in the water...

make sure your harness is attached to it first

guarantee it will increase your catch rate by 1 million percent!

also, don't use chickens, seals love that sh*t

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
Also, weigh down your extra rope so that it doesn't get in the way of others.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I found crabbing this summer in OR excellent using the Promar TR102W. Thank you guys for the excellent suggestion! I also purcahsed the harnessess and rope. It was actually just as inexpensive as any other rope (and easy on the hand) The challenge was I do not head down to the bay area too often so I had a local sporting goods order them for me. He charged a bit more than the $20.00, but the money I saved in gas (and time) was well worth it (plus it keeps the local economy going). The first time my son and I went out we took out 4 of the traps. we had such a blast and caught alot of crabs. I purchased 5 more, so each of us could use three and if we ever bring someone we are good to go. These traps fit great on the pack of the Hobie Quest kayaks using pvc pipe with a straight joint to stop the pipes from dropping through the scup holes. My son actually had all six on the back of his kayak and I carried the crab buckets and fishing tackle. One day we each caught a limit and had no place to put all 24. The buckets were filled up and I had to use some plastic bags to wrap up the others and place down by my feet while avoiding their claws. Deadiest Catch for the toes. We talked about using the hull as storage next time. I would go back to OR anytime. Although the license is $11 each for three days. It is only 2 more hours for us to get there than the bay and it seemed like they were more plentiful than CA and the limit is higher. If anyone ever wants to go up that way and wants to figure out how to get a couple days of mass amounts of crab give me a pm. We used the remains of fish (crappie and bass) that I catch locally for bait. I purchased some great fish net crab bait bags on line. I think about 24. Then as I clean fish I put the remains in the bags as I clean and then freeze. We threw all the bags in icechests and then used zipcords to secure inside traps. Before we head out I rig it all: bait, lines and floats, so when we are ready to drop , we drop. We found out it is not fun fighting the current and winds rigging out of the water and is much easier to do so on land. We made a great team! Thanks for all everything! :smt006
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

9erfan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Thanks for the tips. Especially the one about making sure your harness is hooked to your pot. I could definitely see myself doing that, but with my luck, my paddle would somehow be attached to the pot.
1st place 2011 Red Barn Classic
2019 Hobie Outback

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Anyone know whether or not its worth soaking hoops around the Monterey Peninsula for Dungees? Heading down for the rock season ender next weekend and thought what the hell.
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
From what I know, many people catch Monterey dungies in deeper waters (over 150'). It would be a mission just to get out there. And to pull those traps up that deep, thas a workout!!

Wishing you great success on your RF outing. I'm hoping to get one last RF trip before season closes as well.

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Thanks! Whew, maybe empty at 150' but with crabs, tha'd be a haul. I'll try an experiemntal soak at a few diff depths probably only up to about 100' due to line length limits.

Winds look they are up for the rest of the week, hope that changes
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
More like 200-250ft right now....if you want dungies. But also be careful not to drop traps in a SMCA, SMR, etc. So no traps if you're fishing Pebble/Carmel and no traps off Cannery Row or Lovers Pt unless you paddle way out to deep water. But ya never know til ya try it!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
More like 200-250ft right now....if you want dungies. But also be careful not to drop traps in a SMCA, SMR, etc. So no traps if you're fishing Pebble/Carmel and no traps off Cannery Row or Lovers Pt unless you paddle way out to deep water. But ya never know til ya try it!

Lemme kno if anyone does try this! Handlining 200'-250' is crazy lol :D

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
Haha it's enough rope to fill your hull for 2 pots! I know a guy who has already pulled 4 limits from Monterey. But like I said, he's in a boat dropping to 200ft. If you do it from a yak, you'd be hella buff after like 3 trips lol!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
So...my wife really liked the crabs that I brought home the other day and wants to get some for Thanksgiving weekend when both our families are gonna be here.

I'm not gonna have time to go out and set/pull any traps so was wondering if any locals know of where to buy live dungies in Santa Cruz/Monterey County that we can bring home and cook up??

Any tips/leads/suggestions welcome!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
patience young grasshoper! You wont be able tp buy them live until after this weekend. Your best bet and your gonna pay A left nut is on the wharf #2 by MBK... Gonna try and get some on Sunday myself. I like crab better than ab.
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
You can buy them in Moss Landing harbor if you find the right boat. I imagine the same deal in SC harbor. But you can always get them @ Sea Harvest next to the Moss Landing launch ramp! If you've never been there...you gotta check it out Jim, lots of yummy sea creatures there!   
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
You can buy them in Moss Landing harbor if you find the right boat. I imagine the same deal in SC harbor. But you can always get them @ Sea Harvest next to the Moss Landing launch ramp! If you've never been there...you gotta check it out Jim, lots of yummy sea creatures there!   

Thanks fellas!!

Yeah, I am sure they are expensive and ideally I would have time to go out and get them myself, but looking at my schedule around Thanksgiving I just don't see it happening!!

Will see if I can get the inlaws to pay for them!!!!!!!

:smt002 :smt003 :smt005 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

Will check out the Sea Harvest for sure!! ESPECIALLY since I now live in Watsonville instead of Capitola, so Moss Landing is practically my new back yard!!

:smt003 :smt004

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

anything