Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 03:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:42:56 PM]

[Today at 03:41:52 PM]

[Today at 02:41:39 PM]

[Today at 12:17:38 PM]

[Today at 11:16:20 AM]

[Today at 09:54:38 AM]

[Today at 09:10:22 AM]

[Today at 08:22:51 AM]

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Get this Spyderco knife!  (Read 8064 times)

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
NRS pilot and co-pilot are 25% off at REI... i'm a spyderco guy :smt006

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
you think you could cut through a steel downrigger line with that?

Medson

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I had an Atlantic salt and loved the knife. Unfortunately, it's currently sitting at the bottom of the SF Bay near the ARW. No more expensive knives for the kayak. Stainless Morakniv companion is $15, has a sheath and does okay in the salt with quick rinse at the end of the day 

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I had an Atlantic salt and loved the knife. Unfortunately, it's currently sitting at the bottom of the SF Bay near the ARW. No more expensive knives for the kayak. Stainless Morakniv companion is $15, has a sheath and does okay in the salt with quick rinse at the end of the day

this was my experience also.
I must have gone through 5-6 Gerbers and Spydercos over the years. 'Cause I like good gear I kept purchasing top o line blades and then kept dropping them.
Finally just went with a small SS dive knife for like $15. After 4 years I still have the cheap one, haven't lost it yet. :smt044
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I was looking for a good rescue knife, and was very disappointed with the NRS options (like the Pilot knife). The issue with their knives is that you need 2 hands to pull the knife, which is unacceptable. Imagine your kayak flipped, and you’re holding on to it with one hand, and trying to cut the down rigger line that got tangled in your leg with the other hand.

Now, the second problem is the sheath. There was no good way to put it on my PFD. And the third problem is that these knives cannot double as a regular knife in case you need to cut fish or whatever. I’m not saying you should use your safety knife for regular duties, as it may get dull, but it’s nice to have a safety knife that can be dual purpose.

I didn’t even bother getting the NRS knives, and tried the Gerber River Shorty instead. It’s a very nice rescue knife, but not for the ocean. It was getting rusty after just one trip. Also, it was too short, not sharp enough, and the cutting surface was small, which means many back and forth before you cut anything. So I sent it back.

At last I was ready to shell some $100 for a Spyderco knife. I got the Atlantic Salt. And let me tell you, this thing is amazing. Firstly - it’s extremely sharp. I bet I could cut a Cabezon head off with this knife, through the bone, no problem. Secondly, it’s super light and made of non rusting proprietary H1 steel. Divers swear by it. Thirdly, there’s no sheath, it just folds like a pocket knife, and can be flip opened with your thumb. The clip on the handle is perfect for any placement on your PFD. And to prevent it from falling into the water during operation, I added a Boom fishing lanyard (T04 version) with a barrel swivel for extra maneuverability.

Whats the red piece of cord attached to the knife and how did you secure it? Thanks!
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)
LIVE Watersports L4 Expedition w/ 2.5 HP outboard (green hull, white deck)

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
I was looking for a good rescue knife, and was very disappointed with the NRS options (like the Pilot knife). The issue with their knives is that you need 2 hands to pull the knife...

Now, the second problem is the sheath. There was no good way to put it on my PFD. And the third problem is that these knives cannot double as a regular knife in case you need to cut fish or whatever....

I've had my NRS Pilot for about 10 years and my only complaint about it is how large it is. I'm not sure how anyone would find that it requires two hands to get out of the sheath... and I'm not sure how anyone who has a lifevest with lashtabs (lashtabs are like... a super standard option on all but the cheapest vests) would have trouble attaching it to the lifevest... and I've cut many many gills with the knife. Honestly super confused by your complaints, lol.

You sure you aren't confusing the NRS pilot w/ another brand?

Photo to demonstrate how large the thing is. Gets in the way when I'm jigging.

Loebs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
I bought this spyderco knife a couple years ago and it still works great no rust at all and sharp. Thanks for posting about this knife lil orca

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I just lost my pacific salt that was H1 steel. Thing was awesome and never rusted even after going swimming with it.

I have that same Ti dive knife on my PFD right now and it works great along with a spike for braining fishies.

I ended up replacing my lost spydie w a warncliff salt 2 (that I didnt really need). I like the straight edge and this one is LC200N and holding a better edge then my H1 even after it was work hardened. But I really only use it for camping and banking it. Don't want to drop another one in the soup :\ 
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I have a Spyderco Salt 1 that has been my EDC for about 15 years, and it is fantastic.  I carry it in my dry box on the kayak, as a backup knife, but I don't normally use it white afloat because I am clumsy and would cry if I lost it, haha.  It is a slim model, and rides nicely in my pocket. 

I also keep a cheaper Gerber strapped to my PFD for emergencies, and when on my mountain bike I strap that same knife to my backpack.  Luckily it hasn't unclipped itself yet, but I'm not gonna be too broken hearted when it does.  It has held up well to all the random tasks I've used it for though, from cutting bait and random stuff on the kayak, to cutting limbs and other random stuff on the trail.
- Kevin

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
I agree with the confusion about the NRS knives needing two hands to pull. I've had the same NRS knife for 5+ years on a lashtab on the PFD, handle end down on the left side. It's automatic to reach with my right hand and grab it, pinching the tabs and pulling it one handed. Can't figure how it would need two hands to pull out. I usually use two hands to put it back into the sheath just to make sure it's seated and the tabs grab it well.

Been meaning to add a very short lanyard and little float to it, but I've managed to not lose it yet. Good knife.

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
My Spyderco is clipped to the PFD for a quick draw. I pull the red line to unclip it, which is an easier motion than grabbing - especially if hands are slippery. Then, my thumb goes in the round hole and flicks the blade out. The blade is stored under almost no pressure, so the thumb flick is very easy.
You need (at least) 3 things from a safety knife:
- extremely sharp. Don’t use it for anything other than emergencies
- very easy to pull
- will not fall into the water
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I've got that one, but never used it much. I prefer this one, as I can whip it out a lot faster.

Ever since I was traumatized by the "whale incident", I've got to have a knife that I can access in a fraction of a second...

I've had the same one on my pfd now for 10-11 years. Still good as new!
Me too. Moving PFD to PFD but still great!
My Spyderco is clipped to the PFD for a quick draw. I pull the red line to unclip it, which is an easier motion than grabbing - especially if hands are slippery. Then, my thumb goes in the round hole and flicks the blade out. The blade is stored under almost no pressure, so the thumb flick is very easy.
You need (at least) 3 things from a safety knife:
- extremely sharp. Don’t use it for anything other than emergencies
- very easy to pull
- will not fall into the water

I kinda understand what Mel is trying to say here. It looks like a great utility knife but doesn’t seem like good safety knife…
We use NRS ones for work but not a big fan of them either…
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 10:14:38 PM by Uminchu Naoaki »

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
On the topic of safety, I try to ensure any tethers are quickly severable if possible. My utility spyderco folder is tethered with a thin limpy 1/2?arm length bunny. The bungee is anchored inside a zip pocket. When not in fishing mode, both the knife and bungee line get put back into the pocket. Keep in mind that stretching and expanding materials can be problematic for cutting in holy crap conditions. Highly recommend serrated spydercos for kfishing stuff.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:50:41 PM by fishemotion »

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I love my spyderco but I've dropped 2 knives in the soup that I miss dearly.

Does any1 have experience with taking Morakniv knives stainless in the ocean with minimal care? They make a cork handle floating knife that seems pretty awesome as a solution to losing my favorite knives but not if it's going to scale up.

Morakniv Floating Fixed-Blade Fine Edged Stainless Steel Knife https://a.co/hGd2cPs

My spyderco is doing awesome still even w extreme saltwater exposure. But one slip up and it's gone. Safety dive knife stays on the shoulder as a backup still.
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Yeah, I have one with out the cork handle, but the cork looks pretty nice!  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EOJAKI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I got it for my trip to Hawaii last year, wantign to bring one cheap sharp knife that is easy to see.  It's become part of the camping kit now and I'm amazed how well it's lasted with not much care.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie