Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 09:42:36 AM]

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 06:11:15 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Navionics: 20fm waypoints/line setup  (Read 709 times)

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
UPDATE 4: Please don't bother reading any of my posts below about setting up 20ftm waypoints manually -- now that some of our very helpful posters have come up with a file that can be imported into Navionics (can only confirm on iPhone) to do it all automatically, that's obviously the way to go. Thanks to 123engineering and AlsHobieOutback!

The downloadable files can be found here:
https://paul95255.wixsite.com/non-motorized-vessel

The step-by-step that worked for Navionics on my iphone:

• Saved file to documents folder
  • Went to documents folder, found file and clicked Share icon
  • In Share dropdown, found Boating/Navionics app and clicked that
  • Went to Boating/Navionics icon on my homescreen and opened the app
  • It displayed a message asking if I wanted to accept the import (or something like that)
  • Confirm
  • Go to main Navionics menu
  • Click on Tracks
  • You should see it listed there
  • Click it and voila, you should see the yellow 20ftm line on your map

UPDATE 3: Issue solved (see my post down below if this solution is of any interest)

UPDATE 2: I clearly don't know that the hell I'm doing, as now I see my 20fa boundary lines differ from those on this page:
https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Groundfish#287201301-20-fm-line

I have what will no doubt be a stupid question that I've now spent an hour trying to find an answer for but have to wave the white flag and ask for help from you fine people. See further down in the thread.

UPDATE: My post below concerns using the Navionics app on my iphone -- I don't use a fish finder.

Navionics: How to set up a 20fm waypoints and boundary line

This post is about how to set things up manually -- if someone knows a way to upload a file or whatever and make it happen more magically, please let us know.

If anyone needs help manually setting up a 20fm boundary line in Navionics so you can see where you are in the ocean related to that line, I'd be happy to lend a hand (just PM me).

Paul/123engineering put up a very helpful post (see below) that got me started, but there are quite a few more steps and it can be a bit tricky if you've never set up markers and routes using Navionics.

I'm not sure of the need for this amongst you lot, so not sure about putting in the time writing up a step-by-step, but if you need help I'm only a phone call away. Lemme know.

Here's the original thread/post:
https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=101427.0

I will be reviewing 20F line at my favorite RF destinations, Fort Ross and Russian Gulch.
If any of you guys have comments about these locations, please let me know.
I can compile comments together, and we can submit them together.

Based on my preliminary review, RG looks good, but RF will require some modification.

1.   Add CDFW waypoints near your favorite destination to Navionics/Google Earth/Fish Finder. (you only need 2 to 3 waypoints to cover a location) https://youtu.be/_0NAVJndyto?si=fNRtQMqDW2Mofb0B
2.   Create a Route Manually by selecting added waypoints and save
3.   You can view Route and see if your rockfishing spots are covered.

Paul

Jigging it,

James
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 04:24:54 PM by ftbraggyakfish »

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Paul added a download link here: https://paul95255.wixsite.com/non-motorized-vessel

I downloaded the 20 fathom line to my computer, then transferred to an unused micro card. With my ff I ejected the Navionics micro card, and installed the micro card with 20 fathom line. Uploaded the file, and done. Thanks Paul.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Paul added a download link here: https://paul95255.wixsite.com/non-motorized-vessel

I downloaded the 20 fathom line to my computer, then transferred to an unused micro card. With my ff I ejected the Navionics micro card, and installed the micro card with 20 fathom line. Uploaded the file, and done. Thanks Paul.

Oh, wow, great info from Paul!

But I don't see anything there about a 20fa link for Navionics. All I see for Navionics is the "50fa GPX file". I use the Navionics app on my iphone -- no idea what you're talking about re. a Navionics micro card. I don't use a fish finder. Could you clarify?

Thanks,

James

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don’t know how to get the 20 fathom line into the app. But would like to add it to my phone, and pad.

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I have what will no doubt be a stupid question that I've now spent an hour trying to find an answer for but have to wave the white flag and ask for help from you fine people. See further down in the thread.

So I'm seriously confused on how to input lat/long coordinates in Navionics. For example, Noyo River, the coordinates are in this screenshot. And then the Navionics app seems to have a different format (dd° mm' sss instead of dd° mm' ss.

Please take a lot at these screenshots and point me in the right direction, thx.

Should the last part of the latitude (39°25.53'N) be entered as 053 or 530? Or what?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 07:55:38 PM by ftbraggyakfish »

Loebs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
The fish legal app has the 20 f and 50 f line. I believe I paid 5 bucks for the paid version (free doesn’t have it)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
DM me if you would like a copy of the version I just made for Navionics.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The fish legal app has the 20 f and 50 f line. I believe I paid 5 bucks for the paid version (free doesn’t have it)

Just got it, thx! Does the trick.

Still, would be good to have it in Navionics so I don't have to switch apps to see how close I am to the line when I'm using Navionics to check out the bottom contours.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

So I'm seriously confused on how to input lat/long coordinates in Navionics. For example, Noyo River, the coordinates are in this screenshot. And then the Navionics app seems to have a different format (dd° mm' sss instead of dd° mm' ss.

Please take a lot at these screenshots and point me in the right direction, thx.

Should the last part of the latitude (39°25.53'N) be entered as 053 or 530? Or what?

Those aren't dd-mm-ss, they are dd-mm.mm

It is measured in tenths of minutes, not in seconds, if that makes any sense.  GPS is silly sometimes - many different users (ships, sailboats, airplanes, car navigation, etc) use different integers to depict the same position. Most common that I've seen are: dd.ddddd (Google maps and a lot of terrestrial users), dd-mm-ss (sail boats, some charts), dd-mm.mm (most commercial mariners, most navigation charts). There are also a few other systems with specific ideas that not many people use.  Most modern devices let you choose which system you are most used to, between the three that I exampled anyway.
- Kevin

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
I was looking at the 20 fathom line on the Fish and wildlife's website and  was a little confused.
As we know 20 fathoms is 120 ft
The map shows at Ft Ross it looks like the line is about 150-155 ft.
So  is 120 or 155 the line?

Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

It is measured in tenths of minutes, not in seconds, if that makes any sense.  GPS is silly sometimes - many different users (ships, sailboats, airplanes, car navigation, etc) use different integers to depict the same position. Most common that I've seen are: dd.ddddd (Google maps and a lot of terrestrial users), dd-mm-ss (sail boats, some charts), dd-mm.mm (most commercial mariners, most navigation charts). There are also a few other systems with specific ideas that not many people use.  Most modern devices let you choose which system you are most used to, between the three that I exampled anyway.

"Should the last part of the latitude (39°25.53'N) be entered as 053 or 530? Or what?"

So what's the answer? The navionics app, for lat. has 2-digits in the first spinwheel, 2-digits in the second, and then there are three more spinwheels with 1-digit (0-9) in each. See my post above for the screenshot. Do I have to do a conversion from dd-mm-ss to dd-mm.mm before entering into Navionics? But then the number of digits in the interface is 7 instead of 6. So confused.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 08:59:24 PM by ftbraggyakfish »

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

"Should the last part of the latitude (39°25.53'N) be entered as 053 or 530? Or what?"

So what's the answer? The navionics app, for lat. has 2-digits in the first spinwheel, 2-digits in the second, and then there are three more spinwheels with 1-digit (0-9) in each. See my post above for the screenshot. Do I have to do a conversion from dd-mm-ss to dd-mm.mm before entering into Navionics? But then the number of digits in the interface is 7 instead of 6. So confused.

I finally got it figured out. The way-point map on the CDFW site...

... lists two lat/long coordinate formats for each way-point:

lat_dd/long_dd (aka Decimal Degrees)
lat_ddm/long_ddm (aka Degrees Decimal Minutes)

Neither of which were the format I was basically familiar with (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds) and I had no idea there were other formats in use.

The Navionics App uses ddm, but it's confusing because they don't label it as such and they have 3 digits at the end of the number string on their coordinates-input screen, while the coordinates provided by CDFW only have 2. For example, for a CDFW-provided 6-digit ddm longitude of 39°12.19'N, Navionics has 7 characters to select (with only the 6 provided by CDFW), and then the question is what to do about that. The answer turns out to be just use a ZERO in the last position/selector.

Handy coordinate format converter:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/gpscoordconv.html

Issue solved.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I was looking at the 20 fathom line on the Fish and wildlife's website and  was a little confused.
As we know 20 fathoms is 120 ft
The map shows at Ft Ross it looks like the line is about 150-155 ft.
So  is 120 or 155 the line?

Scotty

Paul, and others requested that some of the 20 fathom way points be skipped. I believe Fort Ross was one of the locations where it was done in order to catch most of the fishable reefs. Looks like the line is pretty generous.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

Neither of which were the format I was basically familiar with (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds) and I had no idea there were other formats in use.

The Navionics App uses ddm, but it's confusing because they don't label it as such and they have 3 digits at the end of the number string on their coordinates-input screen, while the coordinates provided by CDFW only have 2. For example, for a CDFW-provided 6-digit ddm longitude of 39°12.19'N, Navionics has 7 characters to select (with only the 6 provided by CDFW), and then the question is what to do about that. The answer turns out to be just use a ZERO in the last position/selector.

Issue solved.

Glad you got it sorted out. It's all about using the same units on both sides. 
- Kevin

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

Issue solved.

Glad you got it sorted out. It's all about using the same units on both sides. 

I created the 20fa line GPX file from the DFG data, converting it as you mentioned:

id_area,area_name,lat_dd,lon_dd,lat_deg,lat_min,lat_dir,long_deg,lon_min,lon_dir
1,20-fm Contour - Coastwide,42.0000038,-124.3268127,42,0,N,124,19.61,W
2,20-fm Contour - Coastwide,41.9922867,-124.3029633,41,59.54,N,124,18.18,W
3,20-fm Contour - Coastwide,41.961834,-124.2836533,41,57.71,N,124,17.02,W
4,20-fm Contour - Coastwide,41.9244194,-124.2866364,41,55.47,N,124,17.2,W
5,20-fm Contour - Coastwide,41.8988113,-124.2731094,41,53.93,N,124,16.39,W

to   

<trkpt lat="42.0000038" lon="-124.3268127"/>
      <trkpt lat="41.9922867" lon="-124.3029633"/>
      <trkpt lat="41.961834" lon="-124.2836533"/>
      <trkpt lat="41.9244194" lon="-124.2866364"/>
      <trkpt lat="41.8988113" lon="-124.2731094"/>
      <trkpt lat="41.8583488" lon="-124.2846909"/>

I'm working on another converter (lost my original) to make them into Navionics format.  Should be ready today.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

anything