Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:27:13 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 08:37:46 PM]

[May 01, 2024, 07:30:52 PM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Freshwater Line Choice  (Read 525 times)

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Time to re-spool two of my freshwater spinning reels - both see duty as 90% trout and 10% bass in local reservoirs.   

Was thinking of going 8lb braid to about 10 ft of 6lb flouro leader.  Anyone else running similar?  Other suggestions?

Both currently have 6lb mono, which is working well enough, but I feel could be better.  The rods are bendy enough that I feel I want a little more responsiveness, and I am certainly accustomed to the strength and durability of braid. 

I am not trolling with a downrigger, mostly trolling and casting smaller crankbaits, spinners, spoons, etc.  I don't really use large/heavy bass lures - I have a handful of dedicated bass rods for bigger baits if the situation calls for it.

- Kevin

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I like to use thin braid to whatever leader I feel like using that day. Currently my spinning feels are spooled with 15 lb berkely x9 braid (advertised at .005 in). I would try to use braid that is thinner in diameter than whatever diameter leader you want.

Higher thread count braid (ie 8 or 9 or 12 strand) will be quieter thru the guides while fishing. Lower thread count (4 or 5 strand) will be louder, but I feel like they are easier to tie knots to the leader with.

Leader length depends on personal preference. I usually go longer in clear water and shorter in dirty water. Also a little longer is nice if you retie a lot.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

SaltyTherapy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
For spinning trout, depends if I’m: 1) Casting small spinners/spoons under 0.5oz 2) large spoons and heavy spinners for steelhead 3) bobber doggin with roe or worms 4) jigging. The latter two I have braid for bite sensitivity reasons. Obv fluoro leader. The former two I have mono, 6 for UL spinning small trout, and 12 for steelhead. Fluoro leaders on everything, with mono I only do a couple feet. Braid, longest on the jig setup. I sometimes double use my jig setup for drop shot rigs and/or Neds.
Blue Revolution 13 2014
Papaya Compass 2020
Papaya Revolution 13 2022

Many fishermen spend their lives chasing fish, only to realize that it was themselves that they were chasing.

The "Salty" in my handle refers to my attitude, not the waters I fish

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sweet, thanks for the advice!

I think I am on the right path - I ordered 10lb braid and 6lb flouro for leader.

Ordered a couple more lures and have some rudder lines to fix on the kayak too - should be all buttoned up in a few days and ready to hit the water again next week.  Looking forward to trying out some new stuff. 

Now, if I could just get the fish to cooperate...
- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I recommend not having line under 10lb test. I think every large trout I have caught in the EBRPD has had broken off hooks some with light line leaders.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I recommend not having line under 10lb test. I think every large trout I have caught in the EBRPD has had broken off hooks some with light line leaders.

Ah, interesting. I've been using a 4lb flouro leader, and have been pretty impressed with it's strength, but I haven't caught a large fish here yet either.  I also mostly fish saltwater with 30+lb line, so maybe my perception is a little skewed.  Thanks for the info - I will look at 10lb flouro.
- Kevin

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
On my powerbait rod, which is a 4' UglyStick I use 4LB mono.  My trolling setups though I use 10lb braid, and 8lb fluorocarbon top shot.  I feel like braid does better while trolling cutting through the water.  Can go up to 10lb fluoro since it's invisible in the water and some of those are big mofo's.  But 8 feels right to me most of the time
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Yep, 10 lb braid is a great main line for trout fishing. Something like Power Pro Super Slick V2 is quiet and easy to work with.

If trolling plugs or spoons at a decent clip (over 2mph), try a topshot of 10 lb fluorocarbon. It's strong enough to withstand hard hits, and it'll get just as many bites as a lighter leader. When mooching bait or jigging soft plastics, bump it down to a 6 lb fluoro leader. Seaguar 6 lb fluoro is incredibly thin, it looks like 4 lb at first glance. An excellent option for finesse techniques.

When toplining trolling, keep your setback in mind. If the water's clear, put that plug back 100 ft behind the kayak. A setback of 30 ft vs 100 ft can be the difference between catching fish and skunking.
aMayesing Bros.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Sweet, thanks for the advice!

I think I am on the right path - I ordered 10lb braid and 6lb flouro for leader.

Ordered a couple more lures and have some rudder lines to fix on the kayak too - should be all buttoned up in a few days and ready to hit the water again next week.  Looking forward to trying out some new stuff. 

Now, if I could just get the fish to cooperate...

I use 10lb floro. Figure the lure creating drag specially with deep diving lures and the chance of hooking a 10 lber.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:38:47 AM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
bass finesse 8lbs clear mono/floro. trout 6lbs mono panfish 4lbs mono.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

If trolling plugs or spoons at a decent clip (over 2mph), try a topshot of 10 lb fluorocarbon. It's strong enough to withstand hard hits, and it'll get just as many bites as a lighter leader. When mooching bait or jigging soft plastics, bump it down to a 6 lb fluoro leader. Seaguar 6 lb fluoro is incredibly thin, it looks like 4 lb at first glance. An excellent option for finesse techniques.

When toplining trolling, keep your setback in mind. If the water's clear, put that plug back 100 ft behind the kayak. A setback of 30 ft vs 100 ft can be the difference between catching fish and skunking.

This is exactly what I was thinking and planning for.

How long of a top shot should I use for trolling? I was thinking about 20ft or so. I usually troll at least 100 ft behind me, but tough to be 100% with a spinning reel, haha.
- Kevin

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

This is exactly what I was thinking and planning for.

How long of a top shot should I use for trolling? I was thinking about 20ft or so. I usually troll at least 100 ft behind me, but tough to be 100% with a spinning reel, haha.
Depends on the water clarity. I've done fine with a 10 ft topshot in up to 15 ft of visibility. If the water is Tahoe clear, you'll probably want to do 20 ft or more.
aMayesing Bros.