Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ikijime upgrade  (Read 7626 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I post in recipes because this is an end game food quality concept.  Sushi grade if done well and chilled with efficiency.  Hard to cover all the bases while fishing but we do our best... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Tools of the Trade for a BoBo Slayer , hope they get used Eddie , soon...
Hopefully Wednesday...if not sooner :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

LuiG

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

Can you post a link on where to buy?

I’m not in college anymore, but I trying something that tastes and smells  less fishy...  that could be money well spent!
Hobie Revo 13

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014

I’m not in college anymore, but I trying something that tastes and smells  less fishy...  that could be money well spent!

Eddie I’m interested in trying this. You have me convinced it is the way to go so I’m interested in where to get it as well.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Eddie I’m interested in trying this. You have me convinced it is the way to go so I’m interested in where to get it as well.
Yes gents, workin’ on that link... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

this ?  https://ikejimefederation.com/
I tried that and got some warning page, did you go past it?

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

this ?  https://ikejimefederation.com/
I tried that and got some warning page, did you go past it?

I don't get a warning , I just type in the label on your packaging and that's what popped up ..went to the page and checked it out, copied and pasted it on that post
It worked, not seeing my stuff there presently but the 18g 24", my spike and the 32" might be new.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:20:10 PM by Eddie »

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Just don't go and ike jime your femur w that thing. Ive been brain and bleeding my rockfish and been getting some awesome quality meat compared to the usually bag and suffocate boat method. Super stoked
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Just don't go and ike jime your femur w that thing. Ive been brain and bleeding my rockfish and been getting some awesome quality meat compared to the usually bag and suffocate boat method. Super stoked
I'm scared just havin' it hang out in my van.  Glad you been Iken' those rockfish.  It just seems right... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Do you find running the wire down the spine makes a big difference?  I spike and bleed then on ice but haven't brought a wire out on the kayak. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Do you find running the wire down the spine makes a big difference?  I spike and bleed then on ice but haven't brought a wire out on the kayak.
It's part of the process so I do it.  I'm not sure how destroying the nerve bundle delays lactic acid and hormones to leech into the meat but that's "the science".  The goal is to relax or eliminate the adrenalin process which changes meat quality but I'm not a connoisseur of sushi grade quality meat.  I just know that this is the technique I've practiced and I enjoy it.  Your process seems fine but I wouldn't call it complete for the ikijime stamp.  Braining and bleeding is certainly humane and improves meat quality.  The wire is a pain but the more I practice the more efficient I get.  Keep an eye on the wire, I lost two into the drink and I do not intend to lose another.... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
It's part of the process so I do it.  I'm not sure how destroying the nerve bundle delays lactic acid and hormones to leech into the meat but that's "the science".  The goal is to relax or eliminate the adrenalin process which changes meat quality but I'm not a connoisseur of sushi grade quality meat.  I just know that this is the technique I've practiced and I enjoy it.  Your process seems fine but I wouldn't call it complete for the ikijime stamp.  Braining and bleeding is certainly humane and improves meat quality.  The wire is a pain but the more I practice the more efficient I get.  Keep an eye on the wire, I lost two into the drink and I do not intend to lose another.... :smt006
That iki jime/shinkei jime is challenging but rewarding in itself. that the quality is preserved/improved. Eddie hooked a brother up for some fish, and it's like completing trifecta of sorts. Seems to be "de rigueur" in some markets as well. do it

Do it

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

Ok….I’ve come around to this….as a man of science and sashimi, i need to incorporate this into my routine….
IG: @sakana_seeker

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013

so far i have yet to lose the wire, but it is pretty easy to hang on to it once it has lodged itself into your palm  :smt003
I have been a brain spiker for years, and recently got the chance to run a wire down a bunch of flatties spines. It is challenging but the meat quality was top notch. Ill continue to spike the brain and attempt the wire.

Aloha,

Isao

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007