Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Dad's bag lunch  (Read 6716 times)

eiboh

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Came across an old picture with dad's thermos in it.
it was old and beat up the cap was broken in half so a cork was inserted into the threaded part so you could get it open and the cup was long gone probably lost.
It reminded me of all the good times hunting fishing and skin diving with pops, and his bag lunches

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
This is a great thread that I missed in late 2019 - nice work, eiboh.   :smt001

I remember lots of crack-o-dawn launches in my dad's dories and later, nicer fiberglass boats, heading out of Humboldt Bay for salmon trolling.  I wouldn't eat breakfast because I was about to experience seasickness for a few hours - Dramamine was breakfast!  Dad baited the hooks every time because I'd turn green from anything other than pulling on a fish.  Getting back to land, I would ease into food again.  Even though I was miserable much of the time out there, I fell in deep love with the ocean and salmon fishing through those trips offshore with my pops.  When I got my first sea-worthy kayak in 1999 I was so stoked to find out that I don't get seasick in that mode, and I even got the old man out a few times with me on the yaks.  Years later when I started guiding I found that my hands and fingers knew more about hooking up an anchovy than my mouth did!  Since he baited all the hooks when I was a kid, I still wonder how I learned that.

Miss that guy and him rousing me as I snoozed up against the cold gunnel of the dory - "Wake up!  You've got a fish on!"   :smt005
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
This is a great thread that I missed in late 2019 - nice work, eiboh.   :smt001

I remember lots of crack-o-dawn launches in my dad's dories and later, nicer fiberglass boats, heading out of Humboldt Bay for salmon trolling.  I wouldn't eat breakfast because I was about to experience seasickness for a few hours - Dramamine was breakfast!  Dad baited the hooks every time because I'd turn green from anything other than pulling on a fish.  Getting back to land, I would ease into food again.  Even though I was miserable much of the time out there, I fell in deep love with the ocean and salmon fishing through those trips offshore with my pops.  When I got my first sea-worthy kayak in 1999 I was so stoked to find out that I don't get seasick in that mode, and I even got the old man out a few times with me on the yaks.  Years later when I started guiding I found that my hands and fingers knew more about hooking up an anchovy than my mouth did!  Since he baited all the hooks when I was a kid, I still wonder how I learned that.

Miss that guy and him rousing me as I snoozed up against the cold gunnel of the dory - "Wake up!  You've got a fish on!"   :smt005

Nice Eric, it’s amazing the things we learned when we actually watched or mentors as kids instead of goofing off.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
My dad never hunted but I enticed my boys with cans of SPAM.  I ended up hunting alone, but the dog sure liked it!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
A re-re-revial bump on a cool topic from the past, I enjoyed the stories here so far and figured I'd add my own.

Dad wasn't much into fishing or hunting after growing up in Minnesota where he hunted and fished for food and pretty much the only entertainment in the 1940's, so he never really took me or my sister to do these things. But we did have an uncle with a 27ft Bayliner and we did get up early to go on excursions with Dad and Uncle in SF bay or in the Delta.  I remember us always having a cheese sandwich with mayo, and it's funny I didn't realize until just now that's why I still like them.  :smt004

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
My dad liked to make oatmeal for breakfast on those 5am fishing days.
I was 9 or 10. He'd always ask me if wanted some banana on it and I'd always say no because (to me) it would just get in the way of the brown sugar!
I still can't cut up a banana without thinking of watching him do it in the kitchen on those dark and chilly mornings :smt001.

I can't really recall lunches except for maybe PBnJ sandwiches, but Dad always had his old Coleman thermos full of coffee and some high end tobacco in his pipe, neither of which appealed to 10-year-old me.
If we stopped off at the liquor store on the way home for some Lucky 50 or Olympia (or Hamms- how's that for showing my age) he'd buy me a hershey bar or a 3 musketeers for a quarter!

Good times, even if we didn't catch anything.

Nailed it! Sounds just like my dad, only he drank Coors and the candy bars were a dime back then.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

anything