General > General Talk

Poke pole

(1/3) > >>

Nick:
I want to buy a poke pole any recommendations? If I build one what are you guys using?

crash:

--- Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 06:14:25 PM ---I want to buy a poke pole any recommendations? If I build one what are you guys using?

--- End quote ---

Super easy to build. Go to garden center.. get 12’ bamboo pole.  Get nylon coated steel line. Tie a loop, run about 8” from end of pole.  Tie several half hitches until line is secure, then tie a couple more.  Add 3/0 hook.  Go poke poling.

Tez:

--- Quote from: crash on January 17, 2022, 06:40:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2022, 06:14:25 PM ---I want to buy a poke pole any recommendations? If I build one what are you guys using?

--- End quote ---

Super easy to build. Go to garden center.. get 12’ bamboo pole.  Get nylon coated steel line. Tie a loop, run about 8” from end of pole.  Tie several half hitches until line is secure, then tie a couple more.  Add 3/0 hook.  Go poke poling.

--- End quote ---

Yup.  Mine is a well-dried and cured 9-10 foot bamboo pole I cut from my neighbor's patch.  Like Crash said, you can find them in garden section of some hardware stores for about $4-$5.  I use wire from a tomato cage (doesn't rust) or coat hanger, coiled tight around the end, then sticking out about 10 inches straight out past the end.  Short leader (3" or so?) tied to an eyelet bent in the end of the wire.   I pre tie a bunch of leaders because they often get snagged or frayed on the rocks.   Total cost: about $5-$10 each and less than 15 minutes work, and I have one that has lasted for almost 8 years. 

Fisherman X:
I like to use a piece of metal coat hanger for the hook loop. You can bend it a bit to fit the crevice you are targeting. Duolock snap on the eye, direct to hook eye.

Works well, stays where you place it, without a leader, does not float out with surge

ThreemoneyJ:
If you don’t feel like building and want something telescopic get one of these https://www.bnmpoles.com/collections/fishing-poles/products/bw
Stick a split ring on the tip with a small snap. Then you can tie up a bunch of snelled leaders and you can just snap them on instead of re tying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version