General > Craftsmen's Corner

Fly Tying

(1/4) > >>

Pacifico:
They say that if you want to hear god laugh, you should tell him your plans.

Long story short... I went through most of my career without a degree... god got a good chuckle out of my plans.  But getting it was near the top of my todo list and now after nearly 4 years of late nights I can finally say I have a Bachelors degree from Penn State.  I graduated on Dec 18th. Maga cum laude at that.

So anyway, that's a major part of the reason that I've been absent for so long. That and the girlfriend hovering over me with that "When are we moving to Texas? You promised!" stare.

A few months ago, as things started winding down and I was able to start to have a little more time to do things other than study I decided I was going to take up fly fishing.  Shortly after I remembered that I had a fly tying vise in the garage and now I think the actual pastime I've taken up is fly tying and not so much fly fishing.

I quickly learned that although an expensive vise is not required, having a cheap one makes tying pretty hard sometimes.  I upgraded from a cheapo vise to a Renzetti Traveler, it's not the highest quality vise but it's made life easier.

After tying quite a few small trout flies and becoming somewhat proficient and not really using them much I decided to tie some that I could use in the salt.  First up was my attempt at Kelly Galloup's Belly Bumper.

Art and I fished them a few times with a decent amount of success.

Now I've been wanting to get out after some Dabs and decided to tie up some that I hope the fish will be somewhat impressed with.

Here was my first attempt at replicating the packaged sabiki's:

A little variety:

But then I dedided to kick it up a notch by using some Marabou:

Then came these...

And these...

Now I just need to wait for an opportunity to use them.

ex-kayaker:
I can personally attest to the 4 years of laborious nights of homework......I can't count all the times I had to call him a wussy for staying home to do that sh*t instead of hanging with the shenanigang.  :smt003

Congrats again buddy.

Them bellybumpers are legit....

DavoG:
Congrats.. and nice looking flies!

Pacifico:
Thanks DavoG!

Agarcia, I'm back!  Kind of like being single and ready to mingle but instead I'm just about married and I want to kill fish.

alien:
Congratulations ! And nice looking flies! I’m sure they will hook up fish🤙🏽

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version