Kayak Fishing Zone > Kayak Fly Fishing

Hobies on the Fall?

(1/2) > >>

oysterer:
I'm looking at booking a cottage with access to the fall river in a couple of weeks....does anyone have experience with kayaks on the Fall River? Is this a terrible idea?
Thanks for any input
Matt

SaltyTherapy:
Very doable, can use caltrout launch on river proper or the ahjuwami launches. Some of the shallower sections will lovetap your drive, just keep an eye on depth.

SULLY:
I was interested in trying that myself. I'm curious how productive it is. Please post a report after your trip, I'm interested in going but it is a serious drive from where I am so I ha ent committed to trying it yet.

pindo124:
I've fished it from my Hobie Quest (no pedals). It was summer though, with a lot of hatches going on, so no idea what it's like now.

I launched from the CalTrout access, paddled upstream for ~1 hr - tough paddling against the current but doable. I then anchored, using a drag chain & a small tang anchor attached to the end of the drag chain. I have it rigged with a trolley so I set the anchor point at the aft end, so I was facing downstream. Then I'd pull up the anchor & float down a bit, then reanchor, all the way back to the launch.

I then swung streamers & Jay Fair wiggle nymphs mostly on fast sinking line, and caught some real nice fish that way. I also tried nymphing near the top but never got a bite.

Gorgeous place & fun to fish.

oysterer:
Very cool-at this point, weather is the limiting factor along with my lack of comfort fly fishing from my revo 13...Maybe a Great a trip to plan for the fall!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version