Kayak Fishing Zone > Kayak Fly Fishing

Fished the Delta (Sherman Lake) 11/12/2021

(1/1)

DancesWithHooks:
This was the first experience with my kayak where I saw myself a navigational hazard versus the traditional "predatory" angler.

The fog in the delta was so thick that visibility was about 35 yards, so wisdom won out over bravado and I stayed on the south side and fished the rock rip rap that lines that side of the area. A lot of parked trucks and the entrance road stuffed with bank fishermen suggests the fish are in the area, but the fog bank tempered my enthusiasm - and I stayed out of the traffic lanes.

I managed one 16" fish up near the launch area - and caught an enormous Pikeminnow further down on the same streamer. I was fishing the traditional "baitfish" colored 6" bucktail (white belly, peacock top, flashabou center), and added lead eyes and lots of flash to counter the off colored water.

Once again I figured the water color was the driving force in the result - as I only had about 15" of visibility on that side. Tules and weeds filter the water better, but I had neither on my side of the impoundment.

Fished two hours of the incoming and two hours of the outgoing, which yielded only the two grabs mentioned above. The fog is a real obstacle, so if you venture into it make sure you have your lights and whistles ready (or stay near the bank like us wimps!)

AlsHobieOutback:
Sounds like fun to sling streamers for some strippers!  Thanks for sharing your outing! Been thinking of trying a fly at the Forebay at the FnC next year.

Nick:
I heard from one of the bar pilots that guys were killing it at dillons point in Benicia.

Luckee:
Thanks for the report! 

I'm curious what kind of line you're using there.  Does it have a heavy sinktip, or do you use a floating line?

I've been out on the delta a few times chucking and ducking with a heavy line, and the score is: two decent days and one near-skunk. In any event, you get a workout, which is always good! :)

DancesWithHooks:
I am using a WF Floating line as the water is not deep enough to warrant anything else. A 10 foot leader can take the fly down far enough to snag on the bottom, so much of the Sherman Lake area is likely 4-7ft deep (depending on tide stage)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version