General > Kayak Sailing

One (AI) is the loneliest number...

(1/4) > >>

NowhereMan:
I've got a 2014 AI that I bought used in 2015 for a great price (the owner didn't fish, never took it in saltwater, only sailed it some, and really wanted to upgrade to the 2015 seat).

Before that, I had a 2013 Adventure (essentially the same as the Revo 16) which I'd planned to upgrade to  an AI. But since I got such a good deal on the AI, I put the Adventure on the back burner, thinking that someday I might convert it to an AI.

Then Hobie stopped selling the conversion kit, and I figured I'd never find aka bars and amas for a reasonable price, and had planned to get rid of the Adventure.

Thankfully, inertia set in, and so I still had the Adventure hanging around when used akas (free) and amas (great price) became available within a couple weeks of each other. The akas even came with some additional hardware, and the only important things that were missing were the mast cup and a mast. I bought a new mast cup and have almost got it put together.

First up, cutting the hole for the mast receiver...

NowhereMan:
Next, installing the mast receiver, the internal support, and (DIY) backing plate. Note that I had to get an assist to push the mast receiver down far enough so that the bolt on the bottom could be threaded onto the stub...

NowhereMan:
The front crossbar fits perfectly. It's not easy to see in the picture, but I cut some small 1/4" starboard pieces that act as washers/spacers and protect the aluminum crossbar...

NowhereMan:
The rear crossbar, on the other hand, doesn't fit. It's about 1/4" off, and I don't want to drill out the aluminum crossbar footing unless there is no other option. I'm still pondering what to do about this...

bbt95762:
that's some solid engineering! well done

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version