Kayak Zone > Gearing Up and Rigging Up

Dry vs Semi-Dry Suits

(1/9) > >>

nando:
I just received the Kokatat Gore-Tex Legacy dry suit. Looks great, fits great. The one problem is that the gaskets are absurdly tight. The official recommendation is that I "trim" the gaskets until they fit more comfortably.

But i recently found an article saying that for our use case, where you're not planning on rolling all the time like in white-water rafting, the dry suit is mostly a layer of protection, and so you can get away with a semi-dry suit and its more comfortable neoprene gaskets. It might let a little tricke of water in if you flip, but you should be fine.

I've read up on older posts, but wanted to get some advice: stick with my full dry suit, or return it and get the semi-dry gore-tex version? Is a semi-dry suit a lot more comfortable and still safe for ocean anglers?

Thanks in advance, cheers

MooMoo Outdoors:
I'm interested in what folks say because I cannot wear a dry suit due to latex allergies.

Fish 'n Brew:
I can't really answer your question but I have been wearing a Kokatat Gortex drysuit for more than 10 years.  The neck gasket feels uncomfortable at first but I have found that after a few minutes the discomfort fades.  I never cut the neck gasket or stretch it as some have suggested.  Time just seems to take care of it.

tedski:

--- Quote from: nando on October 13, 2021, 03:53:31 PM ---I just received the Kokatat Gore-Tex Legacy dry suit. Looks great, fits great. The one problem is that the gaskets are absurdly tight. The official recommendation is that I "trim" the gaskets until they fit more comfortably.

But i recently found an article saying that for our use case, where you're not planning on rolling all the time like in white-water rafting, the dry suit is mostly a layer of protection, and so you can get away with a semi-dry suit and its more comfortable neoprene gaskets. It might let a little tricke of water in if you flip, but you should be fine.

I've read up on older posts, but wanted to get some advice: stick with my full dry suit, or return it and get the semi-dry gore-tex version? Is a semi-dry suit a lot more comfortable and still safe for ocean anglers?

Thanks in advance, cheers

--- End quote ---

In the USCG, we used to stretch the neck gasket over a gallon jug and leave it for a few days before trimming.  Trimming isn't so bad -- there should be guide lines for you to follow on the seal itself.  While wrapped around the bottle, you can use an xacto knife to trim.

As for the dry vs semi-dry... I am conflicted.  I have no experience with semi-dry suits but since I go solo and my "shit hits the fan" plan involves me floating alone waiting for a helicopter, I lean towards full-dry.

yakyakyak:

I have a drysuit, which I love.   However, I do wonder about malfunction (i.e. leaks).  If I have to do it over, I would probably purchase two pieces drysuit, a top and bottom. But if you do with the two pieces, I dont think you can wear a wetsuit inside (I would imagine the thickness of the wetsuit will let the water sip in.  I dont know that for sure, but that's just my theory. 

As far as too tight, I know the tight neck is a big pain as well as health hazard, mine does stretch overtime and you can also follow tedski's advice, pre-stretch.

But I think I am fairly safe with my one piece drysuit. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version