General > Craftsmen's Corner

Fish Finder Battery Box

(1/1)

SpeedyStein:
So, I took some inspiration from some posts here, and from a handful of YouTube videos, and made a box for my fish finder battery.

I have a 12AH Li battery, a cheapo from Amazon. Works well so far, only used it a handful of times.

I started with a Harbor Freight plastic ammo can - the smaller .30cal one. Fits the battery well, with enough room inside to add a distribution block and more outlets in the future. A few pipe insulation pieces ensure a tight fit and no rattling around.
https://www.harborfreight.com/030-caliber-ammo-box-63135.html

Then I got a package of "SAE sockets" from Amazon:
https://a.co/d/5a8Anb9

I drilled a hole just large enough for the socket to fit snugly, and riveted it to the can. I used aluminum rivets because I wanted something corrosion resistant, and I had some on hand. Cheaper than stainless screws too. Bonus, 3/16" rivets fit nicely in the mounting holes on the socket flange.  I then snipped the pigtail end off the socket, attached it to my fish finder power cable using butt connectors, and wrapped several times with electric tape. To the bare wires coming from the socket, I added a fuse holder, and then spade terminals to connect to the battery.

Overall, I am pretty happy with this setup - much tidier than using a dry bag like I was before. There is a folding handle on top that will make it easy to run a bungee through for securing it to the deck, and it seems like it will be pretty water tight.  My charger also has an SAE end, so I can just plug into the port for charging.

pmmpete:
I've used battery boxes with panel mounted SAE two-pin connectors for many years.  It's convenient to be able to plug the battery into my fish finder when fishing and then plug it into a charger after the trip without ever opening the box.  The boxes are inexpensive but effective "Outdoor Products" dry boxes available at Walmart. The wiring between the plug and the battery includes a fuse holder. I use the strap to fasten the box to the mast holder inside the front hatch of my Hobie kayaks, and it also provides a handle for carrying the box.

SpeedyStein:
Right on, I think I saw your boxes when I was looking for inspiration.  Very similar setup, just different boxes.  Nice!

AlsHobieOutback:
Looks way fancier than mine, thanks for sharing!  :smt003

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version