Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:43:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:38:54 PM]

[Today at 04:14:24 PM]

[Today at 03:41:52 PM]

[Today at 02:41:39 PM]

[Today at 12:17:38 PM]

[Today at 11:16:20 AM]

[Today at 09:54:38 AM]

[Today at 09:10:22 AM]

[Today at 08:22:51 AM]

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: What to wear?  (Read 3129 times)

GhostSlayer

• Salmon
  • Its called fishing...not catching!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Hey guys!
I'm happy to inform you that I now have the bear minimum to get on the water.
Kayak, PFD & Paddle. :smt003
I want to go to Anderson lake since its 3 min. from my house.
The water is real cold so....
What kind of cloths/ gear do you guys wear?
Brands? I bought a couple Columbia PFG shirts (Pink... :smt044)
I just want an idea of what to wear...I don't plan on falling in....then again who does. But If I do. I want to be prepared.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
GS

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool deal, GhostSlayer - welcome!  I think you'll find that the consensus will be that you should dress for immersion - that means that you will have gear on that will preserve your life if you end up in the water for an extended period of time.  None of us plan on going in unexpectedly while paddling, but most of us plan for it.  Have fun and good luck.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

MistralWind

I'm pretty much a rookie on this subject but I'll weigh in because it is a concern of mine as well.

For the last month or so I've been using an NRS splash suit. Just put it on over the blue jeans/shirt and at least be protected from the cold water dampness in your yak seat and general water splash over the rail. Keeps me warm, cuts the wind penetration and is comfortable to fish in. Pretty much totally worthless if you end up over the side swimming though. That NRS suit is actually a step up from last winter when I was out in the middle of the open north portion of Berryessa trolling and sailing in January in my trusty old blue jeans, rubber yak boots, coat and old PFD. I remember dipping my hand in the water and thinking - wow - better hope nothing goes wrong because I wouldn't have lasted long out there in that frigid water. And it should be added that in no way would I be out that far from shore if I was running my boat in pure kayak mode.

I'm about to start using a drysuit (Kokatat T3 Supernova Angler) I bought last summer. Also bought a set of Mysterioso "long johns" for underneath. I still need a pair of gloves and maybe something warmer than a baseball cap for my head. The drysuit will at least give me a decent chance if I end up over the side far from shore.

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
5 bucks says this turns into a Waders vs. Farmer John discussion. ;)

Read the "Day after Redbarn" thread and I'm sure you will have a good idea of what you need to wear. Dressing for extended immersion is the safest thing you can do. At least wear a 3mm FJ- at the very least.
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

bink

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
For freshwater lakes where I am never far from shore I wear polyester or polar fleece pants and tops covered by kokatat tempest pants and paddling jacket.  That way if I do submerge I stay relatively dry and even if the pants and jackets fail, the polyester will still keep me reasonably warm.  In saltwater I'm a wetsuit advocate, but I'm not willing to get into that debate.  Also, given the time of year, I wouldn't venture out in any type of cotton bottoms or tops.  I have gotten my polar fleece soaked and it still kept me warm, can't say the same of jeans or flannel shirts.

Michael

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
For freshwater lakes where I am never far from shore I wear polyester or polar fleece pants and tops covered by kokatat tempest pants and paddling jacket.  That way if I do submerge I stay relatively dry and even if the pants and jackets fail, the polyester will still keep me reasonably warm.  Michael
i agree,,,,,,at least get a pair of waders and a waterproof jacket.  :smt002
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Having recently spent several minutes in the Pacific I am glad that I had on my 7m farmer johns, booties, and life jacket.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
"cotton kills"
-old sea kayaker saying

go for neoprene and fleece stuff, save the cotton to change into at the car when you are finished paddling.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

GhostSlayer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks guys! :smt002
I really appreciate the input!
Fleece? Isn't that similar to cotton?
Once again thanks to all you guys that chimed in!
Hope to see you guys on the water some day! :smt006

GS

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

GS

There are some garments that refer to themselves as "fleece" and are 100% cotton.  For this discussion what everyone is refering to is polyester fleece like "polartec" brand although there are many brands of fleece out there.  I think it's generally made out of the same material as soda bottles. It has 2 huge advantages over cotton. 1, it does still keep you warm when wet, and 2 it dries many times faster than cotton.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Cool deal, GhostSlayer - welcome!  I think you'll find that the consensus will be that you should dress for immersion - that means that you will have gear on that will preserve your life if you end up in the water for an extended period of time.  None of us plan on going in unexpectedly while paddling, but most of us plan for it.  Have fun and good luck.   :smt001

Words of wisdom right there.

Be safe, have fun, take pictures and report back!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

GhostSlayer

• Salmon
  • View Profile

GS

There are some garments that refer to themselves as "fleece" and are 100% cotton.  For this discussion what everyone is refering to is polyester fleece like "polartec" brand although there are many brands of fleece out there.  I think it's generally made out of the same material as soda bottles. It has 2 huge advantages over cotton. 1, it does still keep you warm when wet, and 2 it dries many times faster than cotton.

Thanks for the clarification Dale.
Are you talking about something similar to this?
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/clothing/outdoor+clothing/outdoor+fleece/300326_3048567.do?search=endeca&keyword=polartec&sortby=priceDescend&page=1

Once again! Thanks for all the help guys!

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hey guys!
I'm happy to inform you that I now have the bear minimum to get on the water.
Kayak, PFD & Paddle. :smt003
I want to go to Anderson lake since its 3 min. from my house.
The water is real cold so....
What kind of cloths/ gear do you guys wear?
Brands? I bought a couple Columbia PFG shirts (Pink... :smt044)
I just want an idea of what to wear...I don't plan on falling in....then again who does. But If I do. I want to be prepared.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
GS
here... :smt006
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html
Hey gang. I have two 2011 sample dry suits from Stohlquist I need to sale. Both have been worn once but I still have all the tags and zipper lube. one is a Size M Womens B pod and the other is a size XL Mens G pod. Both retail for close to $700. Give me call if you are interested.

209-224-8367
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:12:37 PM by Uminchu Naoaki »

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005

GS

Yeah that item is polyester fleece, go to any sporting goods retailer and look for it, there are many different choices and prices, this type of fleece usually doesn't stop the wind so it's best to wear it under something.  There are windproof fleeces but they are pricey.

Thanks for the clarification Dale.
Are you talking about something similar to this?
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/clothing/outdoor+clothing/outdoor+fleece/300326_3048567.do?search=endeca&keyword=polartec&sortby=priceDescend&page=1

Once again! Thanks for all the help guys!

metallidave

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
I'm new to this and have only been out a couple times. What was recamended to get and I now have is a 3mm farmer john style wetsuit. It's basiclly like some overalls and very compfortable to paddle in. A couple weeks ago I flipped in Lake Tulloch and it kept me very warm for the time I was in the water. Good luck and happy fishing!

anything