Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 15, 2024, 10:46:35 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 09:45:01 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 09:32:13 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:18:43 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 01:14:38 PM]

[May 15, 2024, 10:18:45 AM]

by Clb
[May 15, 2024, 08:47:12 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:16:45 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:06:54 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 07:51:28 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 06:29:49 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:16:35 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Save your crab for later!  (Read 4650 times)

SaltyTherapy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I've been making a lot of seafood gumbo with my surplus crab and cod. Due to it being a heavy fat/oil and water emulsion (4 sticks of butter and 2 cups flour for my roux) i think the freezing has been better than just an aqueous solution for preserving meat quality. Cooking the cleaned crab halves in gumbo then taking them out to freeze in containers haven't been a problem with meat quality after 2 months of freezing. I believe the oil prevents freezerburn to a small degree. But having the whole seafood gumbo solution in a plastic container with crab and all in the freezer makes storage for weekday meals a breeze. just thaw and microwave or stovetop reheat over rice with baguette. I would imagine in a whole frozen block of gumbo it would last excellently, although I've only tried over 2 months' time.
Blue Revolution 13 2014
Papaya Compass 2020
Papaya Revolution 13 2022

Many fishermen spend their lives chasing fish, only to realize that it was themselves that they were chasing.

The "Salty" in my handle refers to my attitude, not the waters I fish

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I think the comparison between breast vs leg meat in crab is similar to that in chicken. I think the white works better in pasta. The brown better in Cioppino or other dishes where it needs to hold form.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Thanks for the info on that!
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

biggiefishes

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2023
Cool tip. I'll have to try it out. Already have butcher paper from bbqing as well. Last couple attempts vacuum packing whole halves left me with popped bags so I've just been vac-packing crab cakes.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Cool tip. I'll have to try it out. Already have butcher paper from bbqing as well. Last couple attempts vacuum packing whole halves left me with popped bags so I've just been vac-packing crab cakes.
It might be a waste of bags but after my first attempt leaked I just shoved the whole fail in a new bag and it sealed like a boss double bagged... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
It might be a waste of bags but after my first attempt leaked I just shoved the whole fail in a new bag and it sealed like a boss double bagged... :smt006

I've done that too with fish where a bone popped the bag, and it works, but we are still eating crab we saved Jewli0n's way that I caught back when the season opened, and it's great. Ran out of butcher paper, and baking parchment works too, but I do two layers.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I've done that too with fish where a bone popped the bag, and it works, but we are still eating crab we saved Jewli0n's way that I caught back when the season opened, and it's great. Ran out of butcher paper, and baking parchment works too, but I do two layers.
I'm lovin' this discovery due to timeline of harvesting crab...the texture is prolly 15-20% sacrificed but all the flavor remains... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

Stoked to hear it's working out!

I haven't updated here but the brine-frozen crab was good too. It was surprisingly less "crabby" after freezing in the brine for a few months, which may be a good or bad thing depending on what you like. But overall, I'd note it as a success!
@julianmariano

biggiefishes

• Sardine
  • View Profile

I'm lovin' this discovery due to timeline of harvesting crab...the texture is prolly 15-20% sacrificed but all the flavor remains... :smt006

Yeah, I've noticed texture is the first to go. Made some Bun Rieu with my last batch of frozen crab where the texture didn't matter so much.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Best way to re-heat crab?  I accidentally boiled one that I had already cooked and kept in my cooler.  Not a good texture...  Thought I was only gonna steam, but guess too much water.  I've had good results tossing my cooked crab on a bbq though.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

biggiefishes

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Best way to re-heat crab?  I accidentally boiled one that I had already cooked and kept in my cooler.  Not a good texture...  Thought I was only gonna steam, but guess too much water.  I've had good results tossing my cooked crab on a bbq though.

I like to toss mine in a hot oven on a sheet pan with a little oil, garlic and whatever else I feel like. Something like scallions, ginger, soy sauce/cooking wine and finish with cilantro.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
That sounds good, will give that a try!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie