Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 10:16:45 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:24:53 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 03:01:59 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 01:55:25 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bad news for near-shore fishing at Albion & to Central Coast on Sept 1  (Read 8525 times)

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Sad, better call again about my refund...

I think the campground will be getting a lot of calls.
Glad I went in July. We had a nice time.

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
More woke based decisions, most likely based on a biased problem statement that led to a biased subjective study, maybe studies, which led to poor decisions. The ultimate decision was most likely already made awhile back and just took the right nudges to make it work. Unfortunately, this happens more than most of us want to admit. Research is now rarely objectively conducted in both the hard and soft science fields. Let’s not be naïve.  :smt075 : :confused2:
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Who knows about catching quillbacks? What depth of water? Is it common? How do we make this situation better? Mandatory use of descenders? Better handling of fish and fish ID? No take on it just like other no-take species?

I fish usually in 20-50' of water, really near shore, and don't recall ever catching one. If I ever have, it quickly went back into the water (or never left the water) anyway. I don't keep any of the smaller rockfish (chinas, coppers, gophers, etc.) and typically have an okay lingcod and a couple cabs on my stringer. Maybe a vermillion or nice black.

How does stopping me from fishing this whole season (haven't been out yet) help the quillback?

(I typically take the reg changes in stride, but really wondering about this one and curious how full end of nearshore fishing is required for the one species.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:09:40 AM by dtizz »

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Guess more clamming opportunity now. Maybe they'll close that next year too  :smt012
-Jason

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Guess more clamming opportunity now. Maybe they'll close that next year too  :smt012
Unless you wear a facemask... :smt006

Sturgeon is the next restriction a little birdie told me...stay tuned...
I could be wrong though...

This thread could go nuclear winter quick... :smt044
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

Jesus!  Can I still fish for jack smelt???  WTF!

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

Oh no I do hope you're wrong but i get this if they do.
-Jason

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Jesus!  Can I still fish for jack smelt???  WTF!
You're funny, I was just gonna ask for some baitfish recipes...yum...bullhead kabobs...oh wait...lemme check da regs...certainly no eel grass garnish... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Announcement on Bluegill’s closure next week.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

I fish usually in 20-50' of water, really near shore, and don't recall ever catching one. If I ever have, it quickly went back into the water (or never left the water) anyway. I don't keep any of the smaller rockfish (chinas, coppers, gophers, etc.) and typically have an okay lingcod and a couple cabs on my stringer. Maybe a vermillion or nice black.

Coppers are not smaller rockfish.  Coppers get much bigger than chinas or gophers.  I have caught many over 20” over the years. 
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

How does stopping me from fishing this whole season (haven't been out yet) help the quillback?

There are plenty of other fish near shore besides rockfish and lings.  The flatfish are better eating imo which includes sand sole, rock sole, California halibut, sand dabs and starry flounder.  There are a few kinds of perch, striper and White Sea bass too.  If I lived near the Bay Area, I would be targeting White Sea bass cause they rarely show up north.  Also there is sturgeon until they tighten the regs some more on those as well.  Also it’s thresher shark season which is plenty of meat for your catch and a blast to catch as well.  It will only improve your catch rate in general if you adapt and learn to target other fish.  Rockfish and lings are some of the easiest to catch fish which makes it not much of a sport or challenge.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

There are plenty of other fish near shore besides rockfish and lings.  The flatfish are better eating imo which includes sand sole, rock sole, California halibut, sand dabs and starry flounder.  There are a few kinds of perch, striper and White Sea bass too.  If I lived near the Bay Area, I would be targeting White Sea bass cause they rarely show up north.  Also there is sturgeon until they tighten the regs some more on those as well.  Also it’s thresher shark season which is plenty of meat for your catch and a blast to catch as well.  It will only improve your catch rate in general if you adapt and learn to target other fish.  Rockfish and lings are some of the easiest to catch fish which makes it not much of a sport or challenge.
Boom, that’s my kinda thinkin’. :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
More woke based decisions
It is funny to see how people use this term “woke.” It’s like a secret phrase used as a pejorative by people who are often brainwashed by extremist right-wing media personalities. Science, facts, and colored people are all woke now, depending who you ask.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 11:15:12 AM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

A very reasonable and sensible attitude, and I'd be a lot more open to adopting that attitude if no-take and a descender mandate had been tried, and had failed.

On the bright side, we get to have winter threads year-round now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 11:56:02 AM by WillFo »

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
More woke based decisions
It is funny to see how people use this term “woke.” It’s like a secret phrase used as a pejorative by people who are often brainwashed by extremist right-wing media personalities. Science, facts, and colored people are all woke now, depending who you ask.

No, you don't get to define 'woke' by your interpretation on how you perceive others to mean it.  Well, not unless you are a mind reader...

In this instance, woke means (and in my opinion) emotional reaction.  In other words, woke is the opposite of science and facts, it is purely emotional reaction.  I will say it again, to be sure I'm making myself clear: the whole woke movement is based solely on emotion, not science and not facts. 
For example, the Sacramento Kings announcer, Grant Napier, was fired after over 30 years as the Kings announcer because he said, "all lives matter".  Woosh!  A career, nay, a CALLING of his life's work because of the woke reaction to his statement.  Yet, 2 nights ago, Lester Holt, NBC nightly news, said those exact same words in his broadcast. 
I am disappointed in the fishing reg changes but make no mistake about it: it's not based on science, it's not based on facts, it is based on emotions by those who personify all game animals to the point they will tie up the budgets of CDFW or other agencies in court though lawsuits.  Those agencies now have a decision to make: fire every field officer and hire a bunch of lawyers or roll over and continue to have the game animals as the top priority. 

anything