Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:31:45 PM]

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Looking at a Tarpon 140 or Eddyline 14, going back to paddle over pedal?  (Read 4953 times)

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
It has been a long time away from kayak fishing for me.  I tore my shoulder more than two years ago at work, finally got surgery 7 months ago, and finally feel I am getting to the point of getting back to kayak fishing again.

I still have my 16’ Hobie Adventure.  I recently got a new truck to haul our trailer and am exploring the hauling options. I used to have a Tacoma and used a hullivator to get my Adventure on top.  Now my Ram 2500  is almost 2’ taller and flares out at the sides making the hullavator unusable.  With my shoulder I can not lift it that extra two feet onto the hullavator, and they hit the side of the truck. My Adventure is around 97lbs.

I am considering going back to a paddle yak to save weight and work on building my shoulder strength back up, although I am little torn going back to a paddle as I like the pedal for fishing.  Considered a revo 13 but still too heavy I fear, at least for now.

I have been looking at the Tarpon 140 and the Eddyline Caribbean 14.  About 68 lbs for the Tarpon and 50 for the Eddyline.  This would make loading so much easier, and a bit more manageable but still long enough for the salt.  Price is about $1000 difference between them. 

What are some thoughts and reviews on these?  Any other Hobbie owners go back to paddle?

Use will be lakes, ponds and lots of ocean.  I do a lot of rock fishing and crabbing.  Not a whole lot of salmon trolling. 

I did find I was able to get the Adventure loaded earlier today by sliding it up from the rear of the truck onto the racks and then flipping it over onto the rails, but its still heavy and awkward.  My shoulder is yelling at me for it, but at least I know I can do it if needed.  I would put it in the bed of the truck with my hitch extender, except I need to haul the camp trailer at times

I appreciate any input!
Thanks,
Matt

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Ive gone pedal to paddle. I had planned on still using my Hobie but I find that I almost rarely use it. The ease and convenience of the lighter weight and less gear to load is pretty nice. Plus I enjoy paddling, I find it kinda enhances the whole kayak fishing experience. Ive only fished off a Tarpon once and it was an awesome fishing platform, but I wouldn't say that it was much lighter than my Revo. Really fun to paddle though. I own an Eddyline Sandpiper and it is a great kayak. They seem really well crafted and it only ways around 40#s I think. The Caribbean looks really nice. I would love to own one. I found my eddyline to be very comfortable as well. Currently my main ride is a Stealth, can't say enough good things about it, but if youre mainly fishing lakes its a little overkill. They did just come out with a Fusion 350 though...
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I started out with a peddle kayak but the weight was too much for me so I sold it and bought the Caribbean. It is super easy to move around will go up to 2.3 mph with no effort, and faster with effort. I set it up with a Torqeedo motor but haven’t used it so far this year in order to get some exercise. My only gripe is that with a heavy tail wind it is a struggle to go straight. I wish I had ordered with the optional rudder. Eddyline came out with a new one with  the camp style seat but they did away with the small storage container that I’m not sure I could do without.

I’ve been out in the ocean, and bays many times, and even in less than favorable conditions I always felt secure.

Good luck with your search.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
The Tarpon 140 is really good in the ocean. I am sure the Eddyline is good too, but have not been on one in the ocean. I think the Tarpon has a little wider tank and cockpit. The Tarpon is really good for surf launching. A lot of the members here have had the Eddyline in the past so hopefully some will give some advice.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
My current system uses the small deck hatch in front of the seat for my tackle storage.  No longer having that on the Eddyline may be an issue.  I do try to be a minimalist on the kayak but its a struggle, lol.

How well does the Eddyline material hold up to surf launches in the sand and rocks?   I have been happy with the abuse my rotomolded kayaks have endured.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 06:00:50 PM by Fish N' Chips »

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
The standard Caribbean 14 still has the small storage compartment.

I took two surf zone classes, and my second instructor took it out and surfed it so I think it is as good as any other sit on top. The key to surf launches is knowledge, and practice. My instructor for the first surf zone class was a small woman, and she showed us how to surf sideways, backwards, and straight in. She never dumped all day. The rest of us spent the day tumbling in the surf. I made the decision to only do protected launches after taking the classes.

I drag it over all kinds of nasty stuff, and it seems to hold up fine, however I did add some reinforcing to the front and back of the keel.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I piloted a Hobie Adventure/Revo 16 for a couple years before getting an AI. I also had a Caribbean 14 for a while, and my brother has one now. I didn't use the Eddyline too much, but it is very capable, and if I was to go back to paddling, that's what I'd get.

Having said that, have you tried loading your Hobie from the side, like this guy does?

I use the side-loading/unloading approach whenever I cartop my Hobie, and it makes a huge difference.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Plus I enjoy paddling, I find it kinda enhances the whole kayak fishing experience.
This. Inherently i would say.

Being a former Hobie guy, it took some time for me to get up to speed and comfortable with the platform, but the more minimal aspect has it's advantages as well.

I developed shoulder injury(?) that gave me some concern. The fishy madman got me to gout and boom shoulder became good. Can be quite refreshing. 

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Thanks for the input everyone.  Sounds like the eddyline is a good boat but know the tarpon has always been a standard for fishing. 

Nowhereman, The side loading example didn’t come through for me?

I tried side loading today, even using the side door open as a pivot, but my truck rack is 7’ 3” off the ground.  I am 6’ but just couldn’t overhead load with my weakened shoulder, even with a step stool. I wish the hullavator worked on the new truck, but even lifting that 5+ feet to the hullavator was too much right now.

I do love my Adventure (have had it for 12+ years now) and its great on the water and paddles decent as well. It just the roof top loading I need to figure out for when I am towing the trailer.  I may look into one of the rollers for the rack to help push it up.

I broke a rudder pin today trying to load onto the hullavator (half dropped it when my shoulder started giving out).  I plan to go through it tomorrow to check all the lines and fittings anyways, and give it a good wash.  I am not ready to give up on it.

I still plan to get a paddle kayak as well.  I may hit our local shop and try out the Eddyline and Tarpon and see which I like more.  My son will be joining me before much longer so a spare would be nice to have.  Least thats how I will sell it to the wife, lol

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I have a pal wanting to get rid of his Eddyline Caribean. Let me know if you are interested.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Since loosing enough weight to be able to paddle one of them, been wanting to get something lighter than my old x-factor and the Eddyline 14 is really really tempting.  But I know nothing about taking care of fiberglass boats.  The tarpon 140 is a great fishing platform though, really comfortable.  If the hullavator hits the side of the truck, dont you just need to shift the rack out farther to avoid hitting when loading up? 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Eddyline 14 is really really tempting.  But I know nothing about taking care of fiberglass boats. 
My C14 is thermo molded plastic. Definitely not as tough as polyethylene plastic.
-Jason

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
ooops, I dont have the fax man
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Having owned both Eddyline (14 and 12) Kayaks, the biggest selling point is the weight. I am amazed at how easy it is to maneuver. I also have owned a Revo and Outback and never look forward to loading those.

I have paddled both the 14 and 12 in lakes, ocean and rivers. They are both my favorite kayaks to this day. Being on the shorter side, I still favor the 12' Eddyline.

I don't know where you are located, but I believe Headwaters Boat House in Lodi has some you could try or Headwaters Adventure in Redding.

Even though they are not your typical "fishing" kayaks, you can customize them to what you want.

Happy Paddling with whatever you decide.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Darius, is it the 14?   I may take a look at the kayaks at Headwaters tomorrow and see if I like it and will let you know. I will send you a PM.

Al, I tried shifting the hullavator and rack this morning but do not like it.  I have to push it so far out to clear the side, the kayak center weight is balanced off the rack post.   It was more manageable to lift, but dont think it’s  going to work with this truck.  The bed flare throws it off, it works; I just am not sure i would trust it going down the road. Its putting a lot of strain on the mounts and camper shell. Even our 30 mph winds today are making the bars flex a lot where it sits.

The picture makes it look farther inboard, but its hanging over the side of the camper quite a bit.   

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 03:11:43 PM by Fish N' Chips »