General > Recipes

Canning Herring 2023

(1/5) > >>

Eddie:
Total newb yet doing my homework.  Seasonings, pressure canner science, jar size choices.  I left the bucket in my cooler and dumped ice on it overnight in the van.  Dumped them all out in the big cooler this morning and put salt and water to begin cleaning for some bait storage and soon to be choosing an amount to scale and gut.  Freeze until I'm ready to can em'.  Massive jiz and slime and some roe in raw product...kinda nasty yet real, I think TLA digs the jiz but he can comment on that fishy aspect if he finds this thread...stay tuned... :smt006

SpeedyStein:
Nice!  Good luck on your canning adventure.  My grandma used to can albacore when I was a kid - the whole neighborhood would stink like fish for a week after that!  But, it was WAY better than the stuff you get in a can at the store.  She would do 2 or 3 whole fish at a time - would end up with several cases of the stuff.

Are you smoking it first, to get a similar product to the kippered herring in the cans at the store?  I used to eat a lot of those, but my wife complains that it stinks up the house, haha.

Malibu_Two:
Let us know how it comes out, Eddie.
My brother has been doing some canning/jarring the past couple years and halibut has come out the best.
He tried herring and it turned very mushy. Could be an issue with not properly brining, not sure though.
Good luck!

crash:
I haven't had good success with herring.  Gave up on it.  Let us know how it goes, I might give it another try.

Eddie:
Thanks for the warnings for mushy, I’m going 10lbs of pressure for 100 minutes.  Andrew, can you get Alistar’s timing or pressure lbs. measurement if he recorded it?  Seasonings look like a hot sauce flavoring, mustard, shoyu lemon, smoked, salt, and tomato based, stay tuned… :smt006

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version