Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:00:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:45:32 AM]

[Today at 10:42:39 AM]

[Today at 10:21:59 AM]

[Today at 10:03:44 AM]

[Today at 09:10:35 AM]

[Today at 08:57:25 AM]

[Today at 08:10:12 AM]

[Today at 08:03:37 AM]

[Today at 06:34:21 AM]

[Today at 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 02:41:39 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:54:38 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:22:51 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY 2023 Participant list  (Read 5173 times)

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
List of 2023 AOTY Participants
I will automatically renew everybody who competed in 2022.
If you are new, go create an account on the AOTY website then post your username here in this post.
If you have an old/expired account, post your username here and I’ll activate your old account.

EDIT: I have activated 101 competitor accounts. Your name should show up here http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/leader_board

If you were previously in the youth division and are now needing to be moved to the regular division let me know.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:50:01 AM by ThreemoneyJ »
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
With the gaining popularity of trolling motors on kayaks, would it be possible to add a trolling motor category instead of a complete ban on motors? 

Just a thought.  I was going to sign up until I saw “no motors” in the rules.
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Interesting idea... Wonder what sort of participation that might draw?  Might be willing to compete on a Wind vs Motor competition as well?  :smt003
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Interesting idea... Wonder what sort of participation that might draw?  Might be willing to compete on a Wind vs Motor competition as well?  :smt003

Maybe we should have a "senior" class which can use trolling motor on kayak?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
With the gaining popularity of trolling motors on kayaks, would it be possible to add a trolling motor category instead of a complete ban on motors? 

It has been discussed before and one of the main issues is where do you draw the line?

If I can put a trolling motor on a kayak or bixbie or torqueedo is there a power cut off? And if I can have a 160 lb thrust trolling motor why can’t I just put a gas motor on it? And if I put a gas motor on my 16 foot AI why can’t I just use my 16ft aluminum? Or my solo skiff?

I am open to the discussion, but it usually leads to more questions than answers. And then you get into “well what is a kayak?” Is a Hobie PA 14 with 360 drive really a kayak? Is a x brand superbasser 5000 really a kayak?

The easiest line to draw has been human power. I know the sport has evolved and motors are popular, but I would be hesitant to go all in on motors and have non motorized anglers feel like they are at a disadvantage.

So I guess currently (for 2023) no motors rule will stand, but we can discuss it for a future option.
-John
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014

It has been discussed before and one of the main issues is where do you draw the line?

If I can put a trolling motor on a kayak or bixbie or torqueedo is there a power cut off? And if I can have a 160 lb thrust trolling motor why can’t I just put a gas motor on it? And if I put a gas motor on my 16 foot AI why can’t I just use my 16ft aluminum? Or my solo skiff?

I am open to the discussion, but it usually leads to more questions than answers. And then you get into “well what is a kayak?” Is a Hobie PA 14 with 360 drive really a kayak? Is a x brand superbasser 5000 really a kayak?

The easiest line to draw has been human power. I know the sport has evolved and motors are popular, but I would be hesitant to go all in on motors and have non motorized anglers feel like they are at a disadvantage.

So I guess currently (for 2023) no motors rule will stand, but we can discuss it for a future option.

Thanks for the explanation.  I totally understand.  Good luck to everyone this year. 
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
 Is a Hobie PA 14 with 360 drive really a kayak?
[/quote]

lol, yah, just  a really fat and slow kayak (with emphasis and Fat and Slow)

Signed,
PA14-360 driver

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Is a Hobie PA 14 with 360 drive really a kayak?

lol, yah, just  a really fat and slow kayak (with emphasis and Fat and Slow)

Signed,
PA14-360 driver
[/quote]

:smt044

But at least you can carry a lot of stuff!
-John

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
“where do you draw the line?”

For me it is as you mentioned, John - Human Powered. I am also a fan of the original Simply Fishing format where all participants used paddle propulsion only.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
“where do you draw the line?”

For me it is as you mentioned, John - Human Powered. I am also a fan of the original Simply Fishing format where all participants used paddle propulsion only.
I think the other portions of the simply fishing rules are also equally as good: Same three Lures, No electronics. It's quite a sporting event at that point, unless your the local guy  :smt044

If I had the skills and resources to do it, it's been a fantasy of mine to bring up a fish tracking website that everyone could use to track all their all time best fish for ever.  A place where all over the world you could submit fish pics for every species and share the stoke of catching.  Sort of like looking back through the years of AOTY winners best fish.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
IMHO,  kayaks are mainly made by plastic,  Poly, or Fiberglass which have scupper holes for draining water.  And trolling motor has a slight advantage over human power, also young guys have an advantage over "seniors" too  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
IMHO,  kayaks are mainly made by plastic,  Poly, or Fiberglass which have scupper holes for draining water.  And trolling motor has a slight advantage over human power, also young guys have an advantage over "seniors" too  :smt003

I agree that “plastic boat” pretty much sums it up.

Why not 2 divisions, with the first being “human powered” and the second being “open”? Then open could allow sails, motors, or whatever, as long as it’s attached to a plastic boat. If things got too crazy, the open division could always be further restricted. And, open division could just be for bragging rights, if you’re worried about prizes and such.

In the past, the “sail” division has been kinda dead, and as I recall that was setup because sails were thought to give too much of an advantage.

Anyways, if the goal is to get more people involved, why not more opportunities for us old farts? Personally, I’d like to see more of what people are catching, from their “kayaks”, even if they are stretching the limits of what might reasonably be called a kayak.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile

I agree that “plastic boat” pretty much sums it up.

Why not 2 divisions, with the first being “human powered” and the second being “open”? Then open could allow sails, motors, or whatever, as long as it’s attached to a plastic boat. If things got too crazy, the open division could always be further restricted. And, open division could just be for bragging rights, if you’re worried about prizes and such.

In the past, the “sail” division has been kinda dead, and as I recall that was setup because sails were thought to give too much of an advantage.

Anyways, if the goal is to get more people involved, why not more opportunities for us old farts? Personally, I’d like to see more of what people are catching, from their “kayaks”, even if they are stretching the limits of what might reasonably be called a kayak.

I love your idea.  The "open" division would be for bragging right only as I recalled this was back in the NCKA old days.