Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 09:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:00:43 AM]

[Today at 09:00:32 AM]

[Today at 08:34:59 AM]

[Today at 07:28:21 AM]

by KPD
[Today at 07:11:13 AM]

[Today at 06:14:48 AM]

[October 25, 2024, 10:24:12 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 04:19:38 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 02:27:55 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 09:25:06 AM]

[October 24, 2024, 04:35:17 PM]

[October 24, 2024, 02:51:48 PM]

[October 24, 2024, 11:11:30 AM]

[October 24, 2024, 08:21:55 AM]

by Rick
[October 24, 2024, 08:16:44 AM]

by &
[October 24, 2024, 12:15:29 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 11:13:12 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 10:55:08 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 09:54:58 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 02:15:14 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 08:55:27 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 07:39:37 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 07:32:02 AM]

[October 22, 2024, 08:47:46 AM]

[October 21, 2024, 04:45:36 PM]

[October 21, 2024, 11:10:19 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Conventional rod and reel recommendations for Halibut in SF Bay, and nearshore  (Read 1214 times)

Mumblepeg

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2024
Hi All,

Any recommendations for Conventional rod and reel recommendations for Halibut trolling in SF Bay, and nearshore? I'm not as concerned about price - I just want a rod and reel that I'll be happy with for a long time. So maybe $200 to $500 for a reel (maybe $600). And I don't know about the rod - like $200 to $400?

For reels, I'm thinking about an Avet SX or MX (or HX?), a Daiwa Saltiga or Saltist, or Penn Fathom 2 or Squall 2. I'm new to fishing, so I don't understand all the different specs totally. But on drag, in the 20 to 40 size, the Saltiga lists the most, but are all sufficient for Halibut (...and ideally Salmon at some point)?

And...
1. I thought a line counter would be nice, so I can confirm when I'm on the bottom for ball bouncing, or if I want to target different levels in the water column, but most reels don't have one. Why is that?  Is that because if you have a fish finder, you can see where your line is? Or do people just know how to measure how much line they let out?
2. I want a lever drag I think
3. It seems like a clicker would be a good idea

For rods, it seems like people like Phenix, CalStar, Lemiglass, Ugly Sticks and Shimano. But what are good for halibut trolling 10 to 16 ounces?

Any recommendations or insight is much appreciated!

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
KISS = my advice.  If you're new to fishing, you may want to start with something more basic.  An Ugly Stik with a Penn Warfare with line counter will only run around $200.

Line counters are great, but they fail relatively easily.  I call them "lyin' counters" after a few trips.

Yes, skilled anglers should know how much line they have out whether they have a line counter or not.

Sometimes you can see your gear on the fishfinder, but you can't count on it, IME.

Hardly anyone uses the clicker.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Eric's advice is spot on. I would add that you don't really need a lever drag for halibut - those seem to be more for bait and wait for big stuff like sturgeon, or trolling big baits for tuna. Star drag works great for trolling, ball bouncing, jigging, and drifting.  Clicker is also best suited for bait and wait - can use it for trolling too, but don't need it.

I have an 8ft light medium ugly stick tiger. Great rod for the bay and inshore stuff. Sensitive tip and lots of backbone. I have a Piscifun Alijoz 300 on mine - I like low profile reels for in the bay. I also have a variety of round baitcaster and conventional reels. Sometimes you gotta try a few things to find what works best for you and your methods.

I would also add that you will 100% lose some gear while fishing from a kayak. I've lost rod combos, nets, etc. It happens fast. I don't really fish with any combos that cost more than about $200 because of this.
- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I like the Takota 500 A line counter reel paired with a medium Trevala rod. Around $350-400 for the setup. I use it in the bay for halibut, and in the ocean for rock fish. Using the line counter along with the FF you can reduce snagging to almost zero. You just watch the depth on the FF and adjust accordingly. I run my bait or jig 8-10’ above the FF depth. Last time at Shelter Cove I fished 2 days caught plenty of fish, and I don’t remember getting any snags.

I have 3 of the Takota 500s, and 2 of the 400s, and haven’t had any issues with the line counters other than occasional fogging. Also, last time at Shelter Cove one of them spent about 15 minutes under water. When I returned home I took it apart and it was spotless clean inside.

I have a couple of high end slow pitch setups Accurate reels, and Temple Reef rods, and I’m so addicted to the line counters that I put after market clip on ones on those.

Good luck with your research.

2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler
2024 Stealth Elite 530

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Having lost and broken a few rods and reels on the ocean I suggest you don’t spend any more than you can afford $$$ to lose. 

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
An Ugly Stik and Avet reel is good starting point and should run around $200 for this setup.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Shimano Tekota 500HG is a great reel for the price, and I'd suggest getting a heavier-duty rod than you think you'll ever need, so you're not overmatched when you hook that 40+ pound halibut. Also, leash your rod to the kayak, and be sure to carry a knife that you can access instantly...
But oh, that magic feeling,
Nowhere to go,
Nowhere to go!

Mumblepeg

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2024
Thanks all! Very helpful!

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
Ugly stick, and penn 501. The narrow jigmaster is all you need.  Easy to clean, service, and upgrade if wanted. I have been fishing my jigmasters,and surfmasters since the late 80's. I have killed many yellowtail, and tuna,with them. So it is plenty for anything that swims in our neighborhood. You will probably have to ebay it because they don't make them anymore .make sure it has an aluminum spool. 
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Ugly stick, and penn 501. The narrow jigmaster is all you need.  Easy to clean, service, and upgrade if wanted. I have been fishing my jigmasters,and surfmasters since the late 80's. I have killed many yellowtail, and tuna,with them. So it is plenty for anything that swims in our neighborhood. You will probably have to ebay it because they don't make them anymore .make sure it has an aluminum spool.

Wish I could find a lefty jigmaster... been looking for a few months now.
- Kevin

jkjhung

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
If price is not a concern I’d go seeker 270 and an Avet sx

anything