Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:31:45 AM]

[Today at 08:21:15 AM]

[Today at 06:23:03 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:47:48 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Realistic immersion gear advice (waders vs wetsuit vs drysuit)  (Read 9995 times)

Sprmario

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
Hey all,

For context, I am located in Eureka and plan to fish in Humboldt bay, in some of the lagoons, and maybe Trinidad to start.

I realize that the best case is a drysuit in most situations (not comfort but safety at least) but I have been looking into some more affordable options while I start my kayak fishing journey. I've had some locals suggest a farmer john wetsuit and a jacket over the top but I also have some waders (a breathable and a neoprene) that would be the easiest option for me since I already own them.

I also recently saw this video going over the prospect of waders and jacket for a kayak that makes me feel like it may be feasible.

Am I crazy given the water and air temps in this area or is a farmer john or wader/jacket combo a feasible option?

Thanks

Edit: I saw a local listing for a diving drysuit for sale. Are these gonna be a nightmare to kayak with because of the difference in fit? https://www.ndiver.com/divemaster-sport-drysuit
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 07:17:31 PM by Sprmario »

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Aloha,
Waders are not super safe if you fall in.
I started with an old surf wetsuit that kept me warm enough with a rain jacket on top through many a learning immersion. A farmer John bottom would be better than a pair of waders, but without the tip you risk flooding the suit which gets really cold really fast ( learned that one when I forgot my wetsuit top but still went diving anyways).

Dry suit is sage but unless you find a cheap one is an expensive not crucial piece of equipment when used wetsuits and rain shells combined with a pfd will keep you safe.
2 cents from a guy on the throne before bedtime.

Aloha,

Isao

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Most of us started with old wetsuits and moved into NRS Men's 3.0 Farmer John Wetsuit with a 3.0 jacket.
I would strongly discourage wearing a wader in NorCal ocean.

Be safe.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
At work I snorkel in 48-56F water comfortably all day. I use the same wetsuit gear when I kayak in the ocean because I know I can swim in it for a long time in cold water. Expect the worst, survive to fish another day. I wear a 7 mm aqualung farmer John, a hyper flex 1.5 mm top it’s a pull over it’s just like a sweatshirt without a hood, NRS socks NRS boots, and a NRS paddle life jacket. If you wanted to be really safe you would have a hood and gloves attached to the back of your life jacket somehow that didn’t get in your way. And a compass and whistle. Find it used, barter, go on the cheap, but test it first.
Watching the river and itching for salt.
4th place ARW 2019

aiurforever

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I went directly to Kokatat dry suit (Hydrus 3 supernova angler) and never looked back. It has lifetime warranty and replaced my suit (zipper problem) hassle free.  I saw another one at REI this year for half of the price ($385) and haggled the price down to $300 for my dad.
2017 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie AI (with or without motor)

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
If just starting, wetsuit gear of sorts would be a safe and easier investment. Craigslist or other marketplaces often have free or really non expensive stuff... heck, you could even take a full suit and just cut out the arms and neck to make a farmer john.. or bottoms and vest till you decide what suits

Kokatat semi-dry are nice... no latex neck pulling your hairs out every time you suit up

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Waders should be against the law

Most of the people here like drysuits which are probably great as long as you don’t have to swim any distance or in rough conditions

For a short spell I worked in a drysuit and switched back to my wetsuit for a few reasons, the most relevant here would be about swimming. Drysuits are nice as long as you’re dry but a lot more awkward to swim in

On any given weekend I swim anywhere from 2-6 hours a day doing surf video, wetsuit especially in rough conditions is the only way to go

Odds that you’ll end up swimming might seem slim but it happens

As always just an opinion

Heard a surfer was attacked up your way

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Lots of suggestions for old surf gear already, but I bought a 4mil farmer John wetsuit on Amazon for like $50. I also got some 3mil booties that I wear under sandals, $15 on Amazon. If your feet get cold you might want thicker, but 3 mil works for me for Bay Area kayaking.  I usually don't wear them, but bring them with me everytime. Layer a fleece top and a windbreaker and you are good to go!

I prefer a wetsuit over a drysuit - the rubber seals and then sitting in a sealed suit in the sun make it a no go for me on the kayak.  I haven't worn a semi dry suit yet, but the price just doesn't work for me - if you read some of my past posts you will see a diy/budget trend in my gear.

I'd probably layer water-wicking clothing if I was really desperate to get out on cold water without a wet suit.  Think snow gear - made to keep you warm in cold and wet places. It won't protect you fully from immersion, but would buy you some time in the worst case scenario.

I would definitely avoid waders in deep water.
- Kevin

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Oh, almost forgot - with a wetsuit you splash yourself to cool down. They are meant to let some water permeate, so it has the effect you want without degrading your protection. In a dry suit, the water will run off, and not cool you very much.

But, bonus to most dry suits, pockets! Stash a dive knife, pencil flare, or whatever else you think might be beneficial if something happens in your pocket. Or just carry fishing gear, haha. 
- Kevin

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Speedy if you are happy with the booties you got I’d be interested to know what they are

For swimming with fins I go as minimal as I can find which right now is O’Neill but could use something even thinner and less sole

Kicking fins for hours booties get bunched up and kill your feet

The best I had were custom straight neoprene from Stan’s dive shop in SJ back in the day Should probably try making my own

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Speedy if you are happy with the booties you got I’d be interested to know what they are

For swimming with fins I go as minimal as I can find which right now is O’Neill but could use something even thinner and less sole

Kicking fins for hours booties get bunched up and kill your feet

The best I had were custom straight neoprene from Stan’s dive shop in SJ back in the day Should probably try making my own

https://a.co/d/72BZrXz

They are $16.99 now - inflation, haha.  They work well for what I use them for, but I don't really walk around in them.  If I wear them on pavement, they are under sandals.  I've had them for almost two years, and no complaints.  These don't have a sole, per se, just some little rubber nubs, which don't provide any traction whatsoever; I think those are just to keep the bottoms from getting worn out when walking in them.  If you are around the Bay at all, I'd be happy to let you check them out in person. 

I've also thought about making my own stuff.  Neoprene is super easy to work with, and doesn't seem to be too expensive.  I've thought about making a set of 3 mil pants and a 3/4 zip 5 mil vest.  Just gotta spend the time to do it - and time is a very finite resource for me these days. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 09:39:26 PM by SpeedyStein »
- Kevin

Sprmario

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think ill look into the wetsuit options, may be a good time to get the offseason sales.

divenfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Sprmario, what size wetsuit are you looking for?
I will be downsizing and will have a few 7 mil farmer johns and tops available, both lined (SCUBA) and skin in (Freedive)
I'm in Ft Bragg.

Sprmario

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Sprmario, what size wetsuit are you looking for?
I will be downsizing and will have a few 7 mil farmer johns and tops available, both lined (SCUBA) and skin in (Freedive)
I'm in Ft Bragg.
I am a large last time I looked, but xl in some.
PM me with details and ill take a look.

Thanks

divenfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I will PM you in a week or so, I'm away until mid next week. Most of my wetsuits are size L.
Cheers!