Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Tandem Island clone for $3k...  (Read 2377 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
There is an interesting discussion on the Hobie forum about a cheap Chinese clone of the Hobie Tandem Island:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=70294

I find it kind of amusing that they call it a "U-boat":

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/U-Boat-18ft-trimaran-fin-drive_60806485491.html

The American distributor sells them for $4350:

https://www.marinenow.com/marinenow-tandem-sailing-pedal-kayak-2-person/

And, here's a video (in Italian) of the boat in action. Surprisingly, it looks like it actually works reasonably well:

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
   No Doubt,   

Deleted the rant I almost posted... about sending more jobs to China.   Let me just say,,   :smt011 #^*^&$% 

Sink the U Boats

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Had no idea alibaba offered these boats.  why bother buying used hobie off secondary market ever again, esp since the mirage drive is off patent?!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
OMG they even have modular boat design.  This thing is a transformer!!  Practically giddy about this revelation

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-sea-angler-detachable-fishing-kayak_1600262566684.html?spm=a2700.details.0.0.6a934e69SJFj32

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I bet it performs just like a U-boat. Looks like they've knocked off more than just the TI. Knock off and improve is their motto. Any lurker thinking about buying one of these, please don't support these thieves. I am so sick of these ripoff retards.

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Wow. Thanks for sharing!  I wonder what market they’re after. I belong to the group that looks for service, reliability, and peace of mind that comes with a well known brand. I wouldn’t buy it even if it was $1000
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I bet it performs just like a U-boat. Looks like they've knocked off more than just the TI. Knock off and improve is their motto. Any lurker thinking about buying one of these, please don't support these thieves. I am so sick of these ripoff retards.

Agree with this 100%.

Hobie has a great reputation. Durable products and excellent service & warranty. Stick with Hobie and you will be happier.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Jeez, tough crowd!

I'm glad to see this on the market -- very rarely is competition bad for the consumer. I don't think this particular example will do much in terms of providing competition, but it's still nice to see.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
If they remake the AI I might consider it since Hobie no longer produces them.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
If they remake the AI I might consider it since Hobie no longer produces them.

Yep, if they did a Revo 16 it'd have to have some serious issues (design or cost) for me to not buy one.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Competition is great. I don’t particularly like the monopoly that Hobbies is enjoying. And their pricing is getting out of hand. That doesn’t make copying their product okay. Maybe if people start knocking off a product that you own on the market you would understand. By supporting these copycats, you’re basically saying that intellectual theft is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Competition is great. I don’t particularly like the monopoly that Hobbies is enjoying. And their pricing is getting out of hand. That doesn’t make copying their product okay. Maybe if people start knocking off a product that you own on the market you would understand. By supporting these copycats, you’re basically saying that intellectual theft is ok.

Sounds like you probably shouldn't buy boats made by this company!! As for me, I guess my world is not so black and white.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:53:16 PM by bogueYaker »

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

If you mean me, I'm saying those products seem OK because its prolly not theft if there is no registered or secured IP behind the "copied" design.  Theft (ip or otherwise) is not OK, of course I don't condone it.

Apparently, Hobie no longer has a monopoly on the mirage drive, as their core patent(s) expired?  Anyway, the purpose of a patent is to actually promote innovation through incentive, i.e., "by securing for limited time to authors and inventors the exclusive rights to their respective writings and discoveries."  pretty sure, i read that somewhere, like, oh IDK, the US Constitution, Art. I, Clause 8, maybe?  Hobie has benefited from its monopoly, all the way to the top of the price range and market for the 20 yrs I've been kayakfishing.  So, good return for them and the system worked as it should for the limited applicable time frame to the massive gain of the patentee.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 08:26:38 PM by & »

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
    It's not so much about challenging competition.

By far the worst part of buying product made in China is THAT is supporting a Communist Regime. A rapidly expanding military that now is aligned with Russia.  Supporting Russia in it's war in Ukraine.  Today they are conducting military exercises with Russia in preparation for.... ?    WW3 ?   Invasion of Taiwan ?  Defense of N.Korea...   

In 30-40 years, every American made product has shifted production to China. 
  It's disgusting how America is willing to support an adversary to save a buck.

We've become   " The Great Mall of China "   

It's about supporting US Labor / Jobs / Democracy /  Human rights.   What America has defended for so long. No way are we going to compete with the  .67 cent/ hour labor that China has.   
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
yall talking about the same company that got bought out by a private equity firm and is now offshoring a lot of its manufacturing to south of the border?  interesting.

anything