Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:30:06 PM]

[Today at 06:56:56 PM]

[Today at 05:50:54 PM]

[Today at 03:14:18 PM]

[Today at 02:04:00 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Raccoon Visits  (Read 531 times)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
April 4, 2024

Question: With so much discussion about human-wildlife conflicts, can something be done about nuisance raccoons in my neighborhood?

Answer: Raccoons are found throughout most of the state (except alpine and desert regions) and are lured by the same attractants that bring other wildlife to our communities: pet food and trash. Their diverse diet also includes fruit, nuts, birds, eggs and small mammals.

But raccoons also present a potential health issue for humans because of their droppings. Raccoons are known to carry a number of internal parasites, including Baylisascaris procynois, a roundworm found in racoons. Infection spread can happen to both humans and pets when contact is made with raccoon feces.

Raccoons often leave their droppings in the same spot, often called raccoon latrines. Cleaning a latrine should be done carefully, while wearing disposable rubber gloves and rubber boots. Gently shovel or scoop the droppings into a heavy-duty garbage bag, then clean and disinfect the clothing and tools thoroughly.

As with other wildlife, humans can play a big role in preventing conflict. Remove access to any sources of food, including garbage and pet food. Clear brush, cover sandboxes, remove any fruit on the ground from fruit trees, and cut back branches that hang over a roof. Also, be sure your pets are properly vaccinated to mitigate this threat.

Extensive information on the behavior of raccoons and the risk they prevent is at https://wildlife.ca.gov/HWC/Raccoons?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery.

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2023
I have trapped 5 raccoons in the last few weeks, they try to dig under the siding and then make a home under the house, I have found the raccoon traps where they put the paw into and it snaps their leg into the trap to be the best as it does not trap other animal like cats, dogs, skunks and such. I have four traps under the deck and it seems to be working. Last year I had about 12,000 in damages from those little critters, so war was declared. I think I am winning, R.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
What did you do when you trapped them?
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Well, I am not supposed to say, last year when I had the damage, I had trapped about ten, assorted skunks, raccoons and two feral cats. The cat I found a rescue for, the others I first called an animal agent who disposal agent who 200 dollars to get rid of them, basically drown them. After about first five, I decided that was just to expensive, so I did it myself. You are not allowed to re-introduce them to a new area, so........

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I was told by a game warden that we only have 2 choices:  either kill it or release it where it's caught.  I wonder if animal control will take them.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... so war was declared. I think I am winning, R.

My nemeses are squirrels. I hadn't gotten any in a while, but there was a big one in my trap today...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile

My nemeses are squirrels. I hadn't gotten any in a while, but there was a big one in my trap today...

They taste like chicken  :smt002

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
you've been watching to many "The Beverly Hillbillies" episodes, got your recipe from granny.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
you've been watching to many "The Beverly Hillbillies" episodes, got your recipe from granny.
Speaking from personal experience  :smt003

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

They taste like chicken  :smt002

Not chicken-like, although they are actually very tasty. I used to hunt them when I was a kid, but I can't sell my wife on the idea of eating a rodent...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Well maybe not for the wife but what about crab bait, could it work? mmmm, maybe I'll try with the next one I catch. R.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Well maybe not for the wife but what about crab bait, could it work? mmmm, maybe I'll try with the next one I catch. R.

The meat is very lean almost no fat.  I think you will be better off stick to the real chicken for crab bait  :smt002