Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 08:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:24:28 PM]

[Today at 07:34:36 PM]

[Today at 07:04:45 PM]

[Today at 01:04:03 PM]

[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

[Today at 08:12:28 AM]

[Today at 07:35:53 AM]

[Today at 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 09:32:40 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Moss landing for rockfish >50 fathoms with new 2023 depth regulations  (Read 1610 times)

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
With the new groundfish regs, I'm looking at Moss Landing as a possibility for when the central management area closes shallow water in October. With the big canyon there, it looks like one could get out to 300 feet in less than a mile and try for rockfish and lings. I've read plenty about the potentially gnarly launch so this is only something I'm considering for a very flat day with favorable tides.

Looking at this handy dandy marine map: http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=SANTA+CRUZ+SMALL+CRAFT+HARBOR+boating+app#13.07/36.7944/-121.7877

Does that sound like a feasible plan? Are there rockfish and lings in the deep canyon there? Anybody try this?

Never been out of Moss Landing, but it's been on my list and hopefully 2023 is the year.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:11:11 PM by The Gopher »
Fish & let fish

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I have tried rockfish out of moss in the canyon. Not very productive. I think it is much easier for deep water out of monterey. Launching out past lovers point would be my bet if i was kayaking.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I have tried rockfish out of moss in the canyon. Not very productive. I think it is much easier for deep water out of monterey. Launching out past lovers point would be my bet if i was kayaking.

+1
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

+1

+2

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Now fishing for salmon is a different story. If you follow the.reporrs closely , they can come in as close as a mile, the problem is as you probably know, the ocean is very volatile in April. Always try and pair up if fishing moss

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
For moss, it's more about tides than swell.  You don't want to enter or exit the jaws during the tide swing.  It gets gnarly with all the water from the slough rushing in or out.  Time the tides, and moss can be pretty pleasant, with or without groundswell. 

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I fished a friend's waypoint three weeks ago and it's no easy trek to the spot.  I'm not a strong paddler even in my AI is why i also have a spare drive in my hatch.
-Jason

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
For moss, it's more about tides than swell.  You don't want to enter or exit the jaws during the tide swing.  It gets gnarly with all the water from the slough rushing in or out.  Time the tides, and moss can be pretty pleasant, with or without groundswell.

The wind can also be bad there, although it is generally onshore, so at least you won’t end up in Hawaii.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...