Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 06, 2024, 11:06:21 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 08:12:02 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 11:04:28 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Looking for folks with knowledge on Carbon Fiber kayaks  (Read 7356 times)

McCoveyCoveDave

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Hi Kayakers,

I am trying to get information on carbon fiber kayaks.  I am a long time ocean kayak user and my kayak weighs around 60 lbs. and is like 14 plus feet long.  I want to move to a kayak that weighs about 20-25 lbs. for the same length.  I know one carbon fiber kayak manufacturer called "Warren Light Craft".  Are there any other carbon fiber kayak manufacturers out there?  Any names would be greatly appreciated. 

The reason I want carbon fiber is I want maximun speed and something I can easily throw on my car.

One of my many hobbies is chasing down baseballs when I am not fishing, so speed it important.

Thanks,

Dave Edlund

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Hmmm, maybe some of the imports from So Africa?
All of the composite/carbon fiber/kevlar layup boats i know of are Sit-in kayaks. Wilderness systems has a few speedster touring yaks that can be ordered in a lighter layup, but not their SOTs.

The non-poly SOTs I have seen don't offer an appreciable weight reduction from the standard plastic.

I think a hotshot carbon SOT in the 40-50lb range would be sweet!
I doubt there is ant way you'll find a yak similar to an OK scupper pro at 25lbs though.

If you haven't already, check out some SUP cross over craft. They might be closer to the weight you are looking for.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
what about a small yak like a yak board or frenzy. I have a YB and that think is quick and nimble!
-Eric Berg

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
what about a small yak like a yak board or frenzy. I have a YB and that think is quick and nimble!

Yeah, I have a Wave Witch by Cobra, and while mine is plastic I know the design was primarily built in fiberglass.
Not necessarily a stable yak, but good enough for some touring, and it surfs open swells very well. My WW weighs about 30lbs maybe? I can carry it with one arm.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
That is one sweet looking boat. I paddled with a guy from BASK who had a Seda Viking & it was a very seaworthy hull design.
Notice the "light layup" weight though........53lbs. That still shaves about 15lbs+ off of my tarpon tho.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"

prodigal

First, Id like to apoligize for not sticking to your request/interest in a carbon boat.
I just wanted to let you know that there is some faster plastic out there that you might find interesting.
I paddled this boat for a few years and if I was interested in racing other paddlers short ,or slightly longer distances, I would put it back into my quiver.
It is not as light as you are looking for but if you have trouble getting this boat loaded by yourself then you have other concerns that need to be addressed if you really want to go fast.
This boat with a wing paddle or, if you arent comfortable with a wing, something like a Werner CoryV (220ish) and I wouldnt think you would be beat very often and if someone was faster than you they really earned it.
The Malibu kayak 4.4       http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_44.asp
Explosive off the line and a pleasure to paddle. 
Another nice thing about this boat is that with leg straps it is relatively easy to roll for a SOT.

thanks for being patient with my plastic tangent and good luck in your search

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:58:39 AM by Indrid Cold »

Tui Chub

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I also apologize for jumping into this tread. I'm also interested in a fast paddle yak for fitness use.  Something I can carry on the Jeep and throw into my local pond (Sparks Marina) before/after work.  I would also use it occasionaly for fishing (no sense being on the water without giving it a cast or two).  This would be in addition to my primary fishing yak, a Hobie Revo.

I had originally narrowed down my choice to the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro but now I'm intrigued by the Malibu 4.4.  The SP is 14'9" vs 14'6" for the 4.4,  SP is 55lbs to the 4.4 44lbs.  The SP is 26" wide vs 27" 4.4 and max cap for SP is 350-400 vs 250lbs for the 4.4, since I weight 143lbs shouldn't be a problem for either 'yak.

So does anyone have any experience with both of these 'yaks?  any preferences?

44lbs sounds a lot better than 55 especially when loading by myself though I'm able to load up my 58lb Revo OK.

Thanks,
Pete

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/single_kayaks.htm

29 lbs...    trade off is in dollars...    If we were concerned about saving money we'd go out an buy our fish.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm going out on a limb by talking about this, but one of my kayak manufactures has been building prototype sit on top kayaks 14' in length with similar deck layouts to Wildy Tarpons and Native Manta Ray. They are taking their time to release info to insure they have it all dialed in, but I think its going to blow people away. Weight should be in the low to mid 40's. Can't give any names at this time, but as things start to develop I will post some photos on this thread.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Jackson kayaks, Seeker rods. Accurate reels, Promar, Mustang Survival, Lingcod jigs.

McCoveyCoveDave

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Very grateful for al the ideas and suggestions.  I thank you all!!!

Dave Edlund
Blue Scupper Pro in McCovey Cove