Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: End of an Era: Tom Mattusch & The Huli Cat  (Read 1496 times)

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Taken From Tom's Personal FB Page- I know many of us have been to Pillar Point, Moss Landing, or Bodega and seen this boat if not been on it... Truly heartbreaking. Tom is a role model for all folks through his dedication and perseverance for the past 40+ years as well as one of the best stewards and proponents for sport and commercial fishing in the area.

End of an Era 
by Capt Tom Mattusch

"A little over 20 years ago I bought the Huli Cat after operating other people’s charter boats.  Prior to that I had a Boston Whaler 20’ Outrage for fishing and diving since 1977.  It seems incomprehensible, however, due to California politics and policies, change is coming.  The straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back was the California Fish & Game Commission ruling that recreational Dungeness crab would be subject to the same opening rules as commercial.  California Department of Fish & Wildlife bears a little responsibility for the upcoming change.

I’ve been involved in as many research projects as I could possibly find.  Engo’s promoted a ‘best available science’ to assist governing our Federal fisheries.  I always hoped I was adding to our knowledge base and filling gaps about populations and conditions on the Pacific Ocean.  I sat on 2 different Regional Working Groups attempting to preserve as much fishable area for recreational anglers and divers.  I’ve worked on recreational and commercial EFP’s to answer questions about populations and techniques.  I worked on stock assessments to validate fish populations.  I’ve participated in lingcod, halibut, salmon, albacore and Humboldt squid research projects.  I’ve spent 5 years on the Dungeness Crab Task Force Whale Entanglement Group representing CPFV.
I attempted to get projects like the EFP for recreational chilipepper, that was identical to a commercial project I successfully completed.  Chilipepper is classified as an underutilized species as recreational and commercial fisherman are not catching enough.  That was shot down by the California Department of Fish & Game.  I talked years ago about an opportunity for the  recreational sector to go after petrale sole fishing over 150 fathoms at the PFMC and listened to commercial fisherman bemoan, “There goes recreationals trying to ruin another commercial fishery!”  When we had depth closures, I tried to get recreationals to go after black cod and chilipepper to take the pressure off the nearshore.  Work in the Ano Nuevo MPA and reference cells contributed to a new method to interpret rockfish stock assessments.

There is an old saying, the two best days of a boatowners life are the day you buy a boat and the day you sell a boat.  There is something about being offshore on saltwater that makes that difficult to believe.  Travelling across open water, anxious to catch salmon, rockfish, albacore, Dungeness crab instills a certain joie de vivre.  Seeing how happy anglers are bringing up their first or their 1000th fish is  soul satisfying.  Seeing a crab pot come up full of Dungeness crab.  No concrete, rarely ever a traffic issue, enjoying a whale show, dolphins, birds and shark sightings beats anything you can find on TV.  Working with the Maverick’s Surf events and movie, ash scatters at sea, taking Veterans out on special trips, Police Activity League trips, Children of Deaf Adults, disadvantaged youth trips, Christmas boat decorating events at Pillar Point Harbor, marrying people on the boat, parties on the boat, seeing three generations of a family fishing together, salmon, rockfish, Dungeness crab and Humboldt squid all remind me of good experiences.

I have a Simrad system on Huli Cat.  I looked at some of the long term statistics. I have traveled over 18,000 nautical miles on the current set of electronics.  Prior to the current John Deere motors, I wore out a set of Cummins engines, those replaced a pair of Detroits.  I found it almost incomprehensible it was possible to wear out propellers.

The California Fish & Game Commission meeting where it was decided recreational would be subject to the same rules as commercial Dungeness crab opening was pitiful.  Director Bonham started by saying it would be done.  There was massive public comment against this, the 5 Commissioners were unanimous in aligning the seasons if whales were present due to a lawsuit by CBD.  The was no consideration of how few recreational entanglements had ever been recorded, no credit to no CPFV entanglements ever recorded.  Rockcod crab combos are incredibly popular.  Adding red buoys to recreational crab pots?  Add the data moderate Quillback and Copper rockfish issue at the PFMC, be thankful presentations by the public saved that for now.  Don’t think it is just fishing CDFW has challenges with, the California deer population is down 70% from the 1970’s.

This is the end of an era.  I sold the Huli Cat.  In addition, the new owner will change the name.  The Huli Cat will only exist in memories."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:40:41 AM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I think just saw it at pillar point last weekend while walking my boy around looking at boats and fresh fish for sale.  20 years is a helluva run, I hope he's able to transfer his multiple skills to something he loves and is reasonably profitable

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I've never been on the Huli Cat, but I have enjoyed reading the fishing reports over the years. Sorry to hear it's been sold.

Al

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Outstanding captain, fisherman, and representative of recreational fishing community, there is no doubt.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

stoked4fishin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
WOW!  So sad to hear this.  Best wishes to Tom, the new owner, and all of us who enjoy and respect fishing off our coast.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I got to fish with him just last month.  He is a good one!

-Allen

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
The HULI was THE HMB boat. Very sad to see an end, and sounds like they really tried to work for the improvement of Nor Cal ocean fisheries....something we all need to work towards.
Best of luck to Tom on his next venture, and future of the boat!
Winner 7 Goldfish 1991 - Heather Elementary Spring Fair
Caught 2 Keepers in 5 Minutes 1994 - Huckleberry Trout Pond
Crappiest Fisherman Honorable Mention 1999 - Crap Master Tournament, Pretty Boy Reservoir
'Best Fisherman' of the Day Sept. 13, 2017 - San Simeon Pier

---------------
Sevylor Tahiti Classic Inflatable Kayak with Fiberglass Paddle

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Glad I got to go out on his boat at least once, but sad it was the last.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

maethlin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
That's a real bummer.

I'm confused about the CFGC vs CDFW mentions though... I guess California Fish and Game Commission is the one that made the ruling on recreational crab season?

I have looked and looked and looked online and found zero info about this for the upcoming season. Is this all being done without public notice? CDFW page still shows the usual Nov 6th opening date.

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
This is really sad news for all CA sportsmen. Tom has always been an outspoken advocate for sensible laws for fishing & hunting. He was also one of the few who tried to keep HMB parking lot open for overnighters. There is no more common sense to CFW.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

anything