Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: PWC Jetski angling  (Read 5502 times)

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014

Its awful that they won't give you a refund. I can't believe they sell the angler versions without giving people a heads up about the restrictions. Maybe you can shame them into doing the right thing by making a big stink as publicly as you can, but that may not be worth the aggravation. At least you didn't complete the purchase.

I didn’t get a solid no on the refund request yet, so there is still a chance.  It may be the same as my chances of getting Selena Gomez to go out with me, but it’s still a chance until I get the official “no.”  But, I am honestly relieved that I learned all of this stuff before I picked it up.  That would have been a much bigger pill to swallow. 

The hard part now is trying to find an alternative that fits nicely in my garage like the Sea Doo would have.   

"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011

The good news is you at least learned all this stuff before putting down a non-refundable deposit at a dealership.

Its awful that they won't give you a refund. I can't believe they sell the angler versions without giving people a heads up about the restrictions.
Maybe they thought he might fish freshwater?  Also most of us were not even aware of these regulations, can't really expect those sales guys to know it and surely it would hurt their sales.   :smt005
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:47:03 PM by SmokeOnTheWater »
If you ain't first, you're last.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

Its awful that they won't give you a refund. I can't believe they sell the angler versions without giving people a heads up about the restrictions. Maybe you can shame them into doing the right thing by making a big stink as publicly as you can, but that may not be worth the aggravation. At least you didn't complete the purchase.

I didn’t get a solid no on the refund request yet, so there is still a chance.  It may be the same as my chances of getting Selena Gomez to go out with me, but it’s still a chance until I get the official “no.”  But, I am honestly relieved that I learned all of this stuff before I picked it up.  That would have been a much bigger pill to swallow. 

The hard part now is trying to find an alternative that fits nicely in my garage like the Sea Doo would have.   

:smt002

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile

[/quote]:smt002

[/quote]

That thing might just do the job.  The website says about a 1,200 lb carrying capacity, so no issue carrying a stack of crab pots…
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I have to admit that it’s REALLY hard to reset my standards back to a 5hp motor on a kayak after dreaming and making plans to fish on a 170hp Sea Doo. 

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
A few people on the board have them and seem happy with them.  Couple guys at Albion had them in some fairly swelly conditions and seemed pretty happy with how they handled trolling for salmon.  Similar in size, but yeah it doesn't have the same appeal or look as fun of a PWC. Something to at least consider while looking at options. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
A few people on the board have them and seem happy with them.  Couple guys at Albion had them in some fairly swelly conditions and seemed pretty happy with how they handled trolling for salmon.  Similar in size, but yeah it doesn't have the same appeal or look as fun of a PWC. Something to at least consider while looking at options.

Got in contact with the dealer in Santa Rosa.   Sold out.  No idea on when he'll get another set, and he has no idea what the pricing is going to be since they are supposed to be redesigned.   That didn’t help me at all other than saving me from making another impulse buy. 

I think the world is telling me that I should just give up and maybe just be happy on dry land for a while. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:39:14 PM by wannabe »

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I used to fish my Jet Ski in Bodega Bay, but one day I got pulled over by Coast Guard inside the bay coming in with my limit of Salmon.  :smt003 They told me that next time I go out, I have to paddle my Jet Ski out all the way to Bodega Head before I can start my motor.  :smt011 Oh!! and you can only fish North of Bodega Bay but you have to know where the MLPA.

-Kiel

Maybe get a tow out to 30 nm :smt044
This is so strange.  looks like scrapping idea now, with inconsistent enforcement, that basically means LEO discretionary actions could run the gamut from "you get a pass" to "assume the position"  :smt012 with a low likelihood, but real possibilty, of either
Its either that, or chance it and seem like a total scofflaw. 

Oh boy x 10

They told me to mount a trolling motor on my PWC.  :smt005 .

-Kiel
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
This just sounds like a bad law.  Why does the shape of your hull or if you straddle the seat on your boat change the access laws?  A 50 diesel boat doing donuts in a sea otter refuge seems like it's a lot more damaging.  It's just that ass hats who terrify marine mammals don't go out and buy 50 foot boats - they buy PWCs. 

Pretty soon it will be "black painted watercraft with vertical hand grips and exhaust suppressors" are illegal.  But buy a $5 plastic adapter to hide the shape and it's cool.   :smt044 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Why does the shape of your hull or if you straddle the seat on your boat change the access laws?  A 50 diesel boat doing donuts in a sea otter refuge seems like it's a lot more damaging.

bingo.  vehicle profiling  :smt044

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

-Kiel
Will this change the definition of PWC?  Wondering if that's a legit suggestion :)  If it is, worth considering perhaps?
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

-Kiel
Will this change the definition of PWC?  Wondering if that's a legit suggestion :)  If it is, worth considering perhaps?

Yes, it does change the definition of MPWC.  Per 15 CFR 922:

Motorized personal watercraft (MPWC)  means any vessel, propelled by machinery, that is designed to be operated by standing, sitting, or kneeling on, astride, or behind the vessel, in contrast to the conventional manner, where the operator stands or sits inside the vessel; any vessel less than 20 feet in length overall as manufactured and propelled by machinery and that has been exempted from compliance with the U.S. Coast Guard's Maximum Capacities Marking for Load Capacity regulation found at 33 CFR Parts 181 and 183, except submarines; or any other vessel that is less than 20 feet in length overall as manufactured, and is propelled by a water jet pump or drive.

Keep in mind we're talking about two distinctly separate regulations, too.  For HMB and Monterey Bay, we're talking about the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS) which encompasses 7 miles north of the GGB all the way to Cambria and 30 NM from the baseline.  Within the MBNMS, MPWC can only be operated in the designated zones I diagrammed in an earlier post in this thread.  For Bodega Bay, it's covered by the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary (GFNMS).  The prohibition within GFNMS is within Bodega Bay and anywhere south of Bodega Head (38.29800° N).

Putting the two together... using a trolling motor to leave from Bodega Bay and get north of the head before switching to jet drive and outside the Bodega Head SMR before angling would be legal, hence the USCG Boarding Officer's recommendation.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:36:50 AM by tedski »
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Keep in mind we're talking about two distinctly separate regulations, too.  For HMB and Monterey Bay, we're talking about the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS) which encompasses 7 miles north of the GGB all the way to Cambria and 30 NM from the baseline.  Within the MBNMS, MPWC can only be operated in the designated zones I diagrammed in an earlier post in this thread.  For Bodega Bay, it's covered by the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary (GFNMS).  The prohibition within GFNMS is within Bodega Bay and anywhere south of Bodega Head (38.29800° N).

Putting the two together... using a trolling motor to leave from Bodega Bay and get north of the head before switching to jet drive and outside the Bodega Head SMR before angling would be legal, hence the USCG Boarding Officer's recommendation.
Thank you for that, I am always interested in code interpretation.  Probably not practical considering the sanctuary boundaries, but good to know anyway.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Now, how about this?  Is this a boat or PWC? 

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

Now, how about this?  Is this a boat or PWC? 

Per the definition I quoted above... the critical part is "on, astride, or behind the vessel, in contrast to the conventional manner, where the operator stands or sits inside the vessel;"  making that RHIB a conventional vessel since the operator is fully within the vessel rather than on, astride, or behind it.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

anything