Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 09/05/21 Forecast 👍👍🤙🤙  (Read 2074 times)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Looks like a beautiful day.. where we going?
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

IsaoK

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
A 3’ south at 18seconds could produce some sizable waves at the right location. FWIW, a 2’ at 18 produced some solidly overhead waves at the right southern exposures last time I surfed….
Be safe out there,
Aloha,

Isao

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
A 3’ south at 18seconds could produce some sizable waves at the right location. FWIW, a 2’ at 18 produced some solidly overhead waves at the right southern exposures last time I surfed….
Be safe out there,
Aloha,

Isao

I've learned more about the south swell the past few years and it is not to be underestimated. 3.5 @ 18 sounds nasty and big. Roll cameras!
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

NuggyT

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Revo 11’
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Definitely some power behind those waves that travel from a long distance. Fortunately south swell sets are much more predictable and easier to time landing/launching.
Tight lines n’ good vibes

Pernell

• I Am PERN
  • Salmon
  • PERN "DIRTY HOOKER"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Soooo is this a go or no go?
USN EAWS
USS KITTY HAWK (CV63)
VP-40 "Laging Handa"
HC-5 (Formerly HSC-25)
-Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
-Ocean Kayak Trident 13 (Sold)
-Hobie Revo 13 (Sold)
-'21Hobie Outback
-'23 Hobie PA-12

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I’m going ... probably hittin up TC. Fishing the north side of the hotel.
2014 Hobie Revo 13

Johnyu

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Be safe out there,
Aloha,

Isao

I am new to ocean kayaking here. I heard if the period is twice more than the size of the swell, then it’s more manageable. But does 3’ wave at 18 seconds produce big wave at the surf if launches from surf?
Hobie Compass 2021

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Be safe out there,
Aloha,

Isao

I am new to ocean kayaking here. I heard if the period is twice more than the size of the swell, then it’s more manageable. But does 3’ wave at 18 seconds produce big wave at the surf if launches from surf?

Swell height + period is a good measure for comfort on the open ocean because the energy is constant throughout the entire period.  When you are dealing with surf, the wave energy matters, but the period is only a relationship to the energy.  A wave with more energy means bigger surf since the wave has to dissipate its energy as it encounters the seafloor.  Now, where period does come in is its relationship to wave energy.  The longer the period of the wave, the higher the energy (think about the wave under the water across the entire wavelength (trough to trough).  So, 3' @ 18 seconds sounds like a little bump up and down every quarter minute or so and it would be that on the open water.  However, 18 seconds worth of water flow coming into the beach for each wave is a lot of energy to dissipate to shore.  Hope that helps clarify.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Johnyu

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Be safe out there,
Aloha,

Isao

Swell height + period is a good measure for comfort on the open ocean because the energy is constant throughout the entire period.  When you are dealing with surf, the wave energy matters, but the period is only a relationship to the energy.  A wave with more energy means bigger surf since the wave has to dissipate its energy as it encounters the seafloor.  Now, where period does come in is its relationship to wave energy.  The longer the period of the wave, the higher the energy (think about the wave under the water across the entire wavelength (trough to trough).  So, 3' @ 18 seconds sounds like a little bump up and down every quarter minute or so and it would be that on the open water.  However, 18 seconds worth of water flow coming into the beach for each wave is a lot of energy to dissipate to shore.  Hope that helps clarify.

Yep. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Hobie Compass 2021

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I wish I could go.  You may try fishing out of Sea Ranch some time.  It's an amazing place.  I've stayed there and fished from those beaches.  Some biggies in that area probably because of low fishing pressure. Good luck and looking forward to the report!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
https://streamable.com/2yit4a

Target was lings, hooked up to a few really close. Plenty of kayakers out. Decent rockfish bycatch. No Epic story just good ol fishing.

It was a lake. No wind , barely any swells. Fish was finicky all day but we got em.

On the radio it sounded like a kayak fishing tourney was happening @ Ft.Ross, with boaters complaining of the Abundance of kayakers... I swear every 15 min Josh’s Dad was Hollering at him on the radio.
2014 Hobie Revo 13

anything