Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: The great debate: Wheeleez cart vs. Hobie Trax  (Read 1629 times)

mbwaterdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I've been using an Ascend scupper plug-in cart for years, but the time has come to upgrade to balloon tires. I recently got a Hobie Compass Duo and having to unload everything to tip the boat on it's side for the scupper cart is not ideal. I need to upgrade my cart and am debating whether to get the Wheeleez style cart that you set the boat on, or to get the Hobie Trax scupper cart. With the Wheeleez cart, I could probably lift up the stern enough to get the cart under the boat without having to take everything off. The only trade off I can think of with the Wheeleez cart is that it won't store as nicely OTW as a scupper cart. Would love to hear thoughts from others who have tried both cart styles.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Well, I like both personally, for different reasons.  I mostly only use my Wheeleez cart these days, but had the Hobie Trax with smaller wheels for a long time, and it was pretty solid.  I like the bigger tires mostly for dragging a long way across the sand full with equipment, but the smaller tires worked fine too.  Yes, you can easily lift a yak and put it on a Wheeleez cart.  Just put it back as far as the seat, then turn it so it points to the bow, then lift the rear and over the cart, and lower down once in position, kick the wheels a little if not centered and strap it down.  For taking the yak off the cart, I use my strap to yank it out from under the kayak with one hand while lifting the rear with my other.

The biggest advantage for the Trax Cart is that you do not have to strap it down.  For removing the yak off of it, I do basically the reverse of the Wheeleez loading procedure and lift it up until the cart falls out and then slide it over and set it down.  But for putting the cart in when it's full of gear, it's still possible, although a bit more complicated, I've done it successfully by leaning the kayak on it's side, slipping the cart in the scuppers, and then pulling it back upright.  Of course stuff can fall out, but with my crate holding most of it, and the rod holders on the crate, i've done it without removing everything.  But removing your stuff is probably best still.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I have both the Hobie heavy duty cart and the Hobie trax 2-30.  They each have their ideal applications.  The HD wheels for pavement and the trax 2 for sand or rocky areas.  Not the most cost effective owning two expensive carry systems, but it works for me. 

As far as putting both carts in place, there are a number of Youtube videos on how to modify the carts with bungie cords which allows you to place your cart into the scupper holes by simply lifting the rear of your kayak.  Both work well on my Outback.
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
As far as putting both carts in place, there are a number of Youtube videos on how to modify the carts with bungie cords which allows you to place your cart into the scupper holes by simply lifting the rear of your kayak.  Both work well on my Outback.
Ooooh, that sounds fancy!  Will look for that, thanks!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Boy, that does look pretty cool and easy to DIY:

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I own both Wheeleez beach cart (w/ NRS 1" Loop Straps 6' long attached) and  Hobie Trax 2-30  (w/ bungee cords modification).
Typically I go fishing with my wife using Hobie Oasis with a lot of gears and my choice is the Wheeleez cart for the kayak protection.  If I use my Hobie Outback, I typically take  Hobie trax 2-30 for fast insert and removal.  NRS 1" Loop Straps make fast kayak securing.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I prefer wheeleez cart for my OB because I can position it more towards the center of kayak.  It's more balanced there, and easier to pick up and pull from bow handle.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... the Wheeleez cart is that it won't store as nicely OTW as a scupper cart.

Back when I did quite a few beach launches with my Hobie Revo 16, I'd use a bike lock to lock up my Wheeleez on the beach. I never had any trouble, even in fairly busy locations.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a