Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:58:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pedal Drive kayak question  (Read 3027 times)

TopWater

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
I'm new and joined this forum to learn about kayaking.  My plan is to lazily fish freshwater (delta or lakes).  To that end, I'm hoping to buy a pedal/prop kayak (instant reverse + price  benefit) and add a motor (Bixpy to rudder?)

My biggest concern as I'm shopping is damaging the pedal drive if I drift or crash into branches underwater or drive into a super shallow area (Russian river, beaches etc.)  For that reason alone, I'm leaning towards the Jackson brand because the pedal drive kicks up.  I can't afford a Hobie with mirage 360. 

Hoping the experience from this group can provide guidance as to whether my fear of breaking the pedal drive is real or imaginary...

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
In 6 or so years of kayaking a Hobie (without kick up fins) I haven’t broken or bent a mast(fin) yet. I have run aground and into objects more than once and am pretty rough on my gear. That’s not to say it doesn’t happen, but if you watch your surroundings you can avoid most obstacles.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Also as far as reverse goes... don't discount the ease of yanking the drive and tossing it back in backwards on a Hobie.  In the few rare times I've needed reverse in a hurry and didn't think I had time to yank/reinsert the drive... there's this really handy paddle thing right on the starboard gunwale that I grab and use.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I've not used many different kayaks so I am not expert in this ... but the Hobie "kick up" fins move up and out of the way of any underwater object I've hit.

The Jackson "pedal-backwards-instant-reverse" is much quicker to engage than the hobie 360, which requires you to crank a handle 180 degrees before you are pedaling backward. Both craft handle underwater objects nicely, so I would not be concerned on that front.

I think the ability to simply move your legs is a bit more elegant than the Hobie crank handle, but don't find myself swearing at the Hobie mechanism, so it's an efficient system as well.

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I have the Hobie 180 drive with kick up fins.  I mainly fish the delta and local lake and do use the reverse feature frequent.   Also, with the Hobie pedal drive it has a bungie strap that allow you to secure the pedals which positions the fins horizontally against the bottom of the hull.  This would address your concerns about striking something while using the Bixpy type propulsion system. 
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Native propel here, 2 actually instant reverse by peddling backwards. I have ran it aground and hit underwater obstacles with no damage at all and if the collar pin is popped out, the prop comes up partway.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Tinker

If you're going to kayak in shallow water, pedal drives are not going to be your friend.  I never understand why people new to kayaking insist they must have a pedal drive, but it's your money.  Do what you want.  Just remember, we fished from kayaks, quite successfully, before anyone put pedals in them - and that's still true today.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 07:58:15 AM by Tinker »

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
When you press a pedal on a hobie all the way forward the fins hug the hull, and only a small portion still protrudes. But you can also very quickly pull the drive out with the kick of your heels, unlock and pull up in seconds. Leash the drive in case of it falling overboard. Paddles can also be used for reverse.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I'm new and joined this forum to learn about kayaking.  My plan is to lazily fish freshwater (delta or lakes).  To that end, I'm hoping to buy a pedal/prop kayak (instant reverse + price  benefit) and add a motor (Bixpy to rudder?)

My biggest concern as I'm shopping is damaging the pedal drive if I drift or crash into branches underwater or drive into a super shallow area (Russian river, beaches etc.)  For that reason alone, I'm leaning towards the Jackson brand because the pedal drive kicks up.  I can't afford a Hobie with mirage 360. 

Hoping the experience from this group can provide guidance as to whether my fear of breaking the pedal drive is real or imaginary...
You can't afford a Hobie with a Mirage drive, but you can afford a kayak with a Bixpy motor? 

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Another factor to consider is that vegetation (or fishing line if you're not careful) can get tangled in propellers and be a pain to get untangled. In contrast, when a mirage drive gets tangled (which is way less frequently for me) you can just pick it up and it is free. This is one of the main reasons I prefer my Hobie over my Native.

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Another factor to consider is that vegetation (or fishing line if you're not careful) can get tangled in propellers and be a pain to get untangled. In contrast, when a mirage drive gets tangled (which is way less frequently for me) you can just pick it up and it is free. This is one of the main reasons I prefer my Hobie over my Native.

This^^  I have a Revo 13 and a Nucanoe with the Pivot Drive.  The Mirage Drive is essentially tangle free.  The Pivot (pedal) is immediate reverse.  I luxuriate in the tangle free much more than the immediate reverse. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If you;re going to kayak in shallow water, pedal drives are not going to be your friend.  I never understand why people new to kayaking insist they must have a pedal drive, but it's your money.  Do what you want.  Just remember, we fished from kayaks, quite successfully, before anyone put pedals in them - and that's still true today.

True, but hands-free kayaking is, IMHO, pretty much ideal for fishing. I've noticed that most people who think they might want a pedal system eventually go that route. So if you are one of those people, it might be better just to start with pedals.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I use a Torqeedo and have caught it three times, and have jammed it up with eel grass once. I don’t go out any further that I would be able to comfortably paddle back in. When I was jammed with eel grass it was at Tomales Bay so I just beached and cleared it out. With the motor out of reach there isn’t much you can do if you get tangled.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

TopWater

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Thank you everyone for your input!  Very insightful.  Seems I am over thinking breaking a pedal drive and should be more concerned getting the props tangled in weeds.  I definitely want a pedal drive for faster hands free fishing. The motor part is because I remember how windy it gets in afternoons, and I want to enjoy the fishing more than the workout...

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
The motor isn’t going to save you any headaches from wind.  Not if you’re hoping it keeps you in place. Not that motor.   It might help you fight the wind when you’re moving.  Having said that, I fish with two friends with motors. My Hobie compass keeps up with them  I just kick and move along next to them.  A Hobie v[can move against current and wind pretty well.  Once on the delta fighting the tide and wind a guy with a big Native struggled.   I was very mobile.

The Hobie 360 is only available on the big pro angler, right?  I love my mirage 180.  It’s efficient.

anything