Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:15:09 AM]

[Today at 07:24:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fillet knife recommendation  (Read 2500 times)

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Have you ever watched the Indonesian/southeast asian fillet videos where they have that round sweeping blade for tuna and wahoo? I was intrigued and bought one of those, its great for slicing through ribs and stuff but its way to heavy and sharp ive cut through spines on accident and gotten into the other side of the fillet with it lol. Maybe i just need to practice with it...

Anyways i just stick to the victorinox i got on sale at an englund marine sidewalk sale, I just hit the steel with it before every use and prolly need to stone sharpen it couple times a year.
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Have you ever watched the Indonesian/southeast asian fillet videos where they have that round sweeping blade for tuna and wahoo? I was intrigued and bought one of those, its great for slicing through ribs and stuff but its way to heavy and sharp ive cut through spines on accident and gotten into the other side of the fillet with it lol. Maybe i just need to practice with it...
Those blades perform well on the videos and appear to be very sharp, but they look like they'd be difficult to sharpen because of the shape of the blade.  Possibly the people who use those blades have a specialized sharpening tool or technique for them.

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Those blades perform well on the videos and appear to be very sharp, but they look like they'd be difficult to sharpen because of the shape of the blade.  Possibly the people who use those blades have a specialized sharpening tool or technique for them.

ill be ready for a 200 lb tuna i guess
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:43:41 PM by Poopsmith »
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

Tinker

Any of the Victorinox filleting or boning knives.  You can get them straight or curved, flexible, semi-flexible, or with a stiff blade.  They usually arrive scary sharp, are easy to maintain with a honing steel, and are easy to sharpen when needed.

I don't own a Bubba Blade and have no experience with them, however a couple of folks I know complained the black coating on the blade chips off in use.

never noticed ..hmmmm

Like I said, I don't own a Bubba Blade and have zero personal experience with them.  One would think they couldn't sell so many (especially not with a name like "Bubba" :smt001) if all their knives had that problem.

nando

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Can the Dexter / Victorinox folks weigh in on fillets vs boning vs breaking? Gonna order one and cant quite decide between those.

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I use a Dexter Russel SG133-9 PCP for larger fish and a 2022 for trout and pan fish. I've had them both for years now. They can be found on line for about $20 for the 9" and $10 for the 4". Keep them sharp with a good stone and they will last forever.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Not sure where to find them anymore but we used to get the carbon steel filet knives, wood handle and have a sharpening shop in sj grind them even narrower and put a new edge

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I love my Dexter Russel filet knifes, have one curved, and one straight boning knife.  But I've seen a few electric ones used in videos, and man, that sure does look pretty easy.  Any recommendations on electric filet knifes?
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I love my Dexter Russel filet knifes, have one curved, and one straight boning knife.  But I've seen a few electric ones used in videos, and man, that sure does look pretty easy.  Any recommendations on electric filet knifes?
Hamilton Beach electric carving knives work very well for processing fish, and are available from a variety of retailers for $20-$25.  I've used them for many years.  I bought a much more expensive Rapala electric carving knife once, and it didn't work nearly as well.

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Bubba cordless!

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
I like my Victorinox.   I have a bigger Bubba Blade.  Nice sharp knife, but not my favorite.  More because is way too stiff.  If I was buying again, I would get the narrow blade.  Hen I had DexterRussell years ago, could not keep from rusting, so every time I need the knife, was pretty worthless.  If you used every day like a deckhand, would stay in shape a lot better.

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Went to Coyote Baits to get my reel filled and ended up getting the Dexter. First it is made in the USA, it is not too expensive and based on the number of fish I catch I don’t need a better fillet knife ;-) Thanks everyone

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Dexter or Kershaw in my sheaths. 

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter