Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:45:12 PM]

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Truck Bed Extenders?  (Read 3074 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Now I'm tempted to haul my AI on a pickup with bed extender...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

HookandLandem

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile Hook and Landem
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I use a Yakima - LongArm Truck Bed Extension on my 2003 Ford Ranger for my 2020 Outback. Amazon says the arm extends 4’.

One of the reasons I chose the long arm is because it folds up nicely when not in use. Helps prevent people from running into it.

Regardless of the extension you choose, be sure that the support brace is the same height as your truck bed. Sounds like an obvious thing, but mine was about 1/4 of an inch lower and after a few uses, I noticed a slight indent where my yak hangs over the tailgate. I fixed the problem by added extra padding.
2020 Hobie Outback Papaya

Tinker

I use a Yakima - LongArm Truck Bed Extension on my 2003 Ford Ranger for my 2020 Outback. Amazon says the arm extends 4’.

One of the reasons I chose the long arm is because it folds up nicely when not in use. Helps prevent people from running into it.

Regardless of the extension you choose, be sure that the support brace is the same height as your truck bed. Sounds like an obvious thing, but mine was about 1/4 of an inch lower and after a few uses, I noticed a slight indent where my yak hangs over the tailgate. I fixed the problem by added extra padding.

I suspect the Long Arm is a good solution to the problem of banging your shins, too.  Thank you, I've been tempted by the Yakima extender. 

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I bought one off amazon a while back and ended up selling it a week later.  The issue is with small truck low to the ground, the thing would catch every speed bump (My 95 Tacoma sits low as it s stock, the extender only made it worse).  The one I bought was straight, no upward bend in it.   Avoid them if you can, I think even on full size trucks they would be an issue.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Tinker

I bought one off amazon a while back and ended up selling it a week later.  The issue is with small truck low to the ground, the thing would catch every speed bump (My 95 Tacoma sits low as it s stock, the extender only made it worse).  The one I bought was straight, no upward bend in it.   Avoid them if you can, I think even on full size trucks they would be an issue.

My truck probably sits a bit higher than your Tacoma, but why take a chance just to save a few pennies?  Good advice.  Thanks.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

I have ladder racks and I agree they're great, but when the trip to the water takes no more than five minutes, it takes longer to put the kayak up there than it takes to get where I'm going.  Longer trips?  Rack for sure.

Oh for sure. Short trip I just toss the yak in the bed and gear in the backseat. I haven't bothered with an extender, just point it kinda sideways and secure it well with straps. Orange flag on the end, good to go. I find it rides better angled sideways. For reference, I have a 13.5' kayak and 5.5ft short bed, about 7 feet tailgate down.
- Kevin

Tinker

Tailgate down, my truck is a little bit shorter - just enough to make the T-13 "tippy", loaded either bow first or stern first, upside down or right-side-up.  RATS!  I'd rather be able to toss it in and strap it down than store a bed extender (like I don't already have enough crap in the garage?) but testing that failed with both my T-13 and a Hobie Revo 13.

(It worked perfectly with a T-11, but like an idiot, I sold that boat).

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Im using a tbone on my truck. it works great for me, but I do have a question/curiosity about how y’all fair at large and long boat ramps, especially with the super low water levels lately. I’m starting to seriously consider a small trailer i can just dunk n run.

I struggle hard sometimes with loading after a long day at these ramps. Ive heard folks park perpendicular to the ramp and load their boats into the bed of the truck. But when I've tried, its been a harrowing fight against gravity as the boat tends to slide off the extension.

How do you all load up at boat ramps, with truck bed extenders?

Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Im using a tbone on my truck. it works great for me, but I do have a question/curiosity about how y’all fair at large and long boat ramps, especially with the super low water levels lately. I’m starting to seriously consider a small trailer i can just dunk n run.

I struggle hard sometimes with loading after a long day at these ramps. Ive heard folks park perpendicular to the ramp and load their boats into the bed of the truck. But when I've tried, its been a harrowing fight against gravity as the boat tends to slide off the extension.

Try putting a D ring on the front box tie down wiry a rope and pulley then clip your bow handle to the rope. Pop the front up with the clip on and you can pull the rope as your yak slides in. Just a thought.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Tinker

I carry a kayak cart.  Since I load stern first into the truck, I attach the cart slightly towards the bow end, roll up to the truck, lift the stern onto the T-Bone and then lift the bow and slide it on.  If you don't have a trailer, you got to have a cart to be able to get out of the way quickly. 

kayaktroy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile ATS Technologies
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
I have a brand new T-Bone extender used once with my expedition.  They said I could not top load... and I can easily.  I am going to sell my truck extender, let me know if interested.

Tinker

Send me a PM with the particulars, please.

Tinker

Also - sorry I forgot this - put your tie-down strap loosely on the T-Bone.  Tight enough it won;t go past the end of the crossbar, loose enough to slip the kayak into it.  Keep the boat from sliding off the side while loading and it's cheaper than a kayak cart.  I learned to do this with my ladder racks when I'd park on a tilted surface.

Practice on level ground so you know how tight the strap should be to allow you to slip the kayak through it.  DAMHIK about that. 

anything