Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Truck Bed Extenders?  (Read 3010 times)

Tinker

I have a short, short, tiny little pickup bed on my Nissan, and a Trident 13 kayak.  I've been thinking about getting a hitch-mounted truck bed extender for short, quick, toss-it-on-and-go trips to my local lakes.  Has anyone used one of them?  Is anyone still using one?

I'd appreciate your thoughts or hearing about your experiences.

(And also, if someone has a better idea for how to quickly and easily transport a 13'6" kayak in a 5' pickup bed, let me know).

5 weight

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
I use one in my 6’ Tacoma with my 14’ trident. I put some pipe insulation on it for a little padding but it would probably work without it. One ratchet strap on the extender pulling the kayak towards the cab, one strap over the hull on the extender, and one more in the bed. Rock solid setup.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I also have a short bed truck. I think its 5 foot. My kayak is 12 feet.

I've been using the Harbor Freight extender for many years.
As mentioned above, strap it down tight on the extender. I also strap to the tie down on the truck bed. Don't forget your flag.

Al

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Another Harbor Freight user, simple setup and you can zip tie a couple of old towels onto the bars if you're concerned about "metal-on-kayak" wear. I've seen sales on that device in the forty nine dollar range, so it can be picked up cheaply.

If you're doing offroad with your beast in the back, the "right angle" Harbor Freight version will drag on the dips, so a curved style extender will have more clearance (Boondox). There is a ton of good videos on the subject on YouTube

Tinker

I use one in my 6’ Tacoma with my 14’ trident. I put some pipe insulation on it for a little padding but it would probably work without it. One ratchet strap on the extender pulling the kayak towards the cab, one strap over the hull on the extender, and one more in the bed. Rock solid setup.

Thank you, 5 weight.  I appreciate the information and advice.

As mentioned above, strap it down tight on the extender. I also strap to the tie down on the truck bed. Don't forget your flag.

Al

Thanks Al.  How's that HF extender holding up?  I saw a video where the fellow allowed it to start to rust.

Tinker

Another Harbor Freight user, simple setup and you can zip tie a couple of old towels onto the bars if you're concerned about "metal-on-kayak" wear. I've seen sales on that device in the forty nine dollar range, so it can be picked up cheaply.

If you're doing offroad with your beast in the back, the "right angle" Harbor Freight version will drag on the dips, so a curved style extender will have more clearance (Boondox). There is a ton of good videos on the subject on YouTube

Been haunting YouTube for the past couple of days and watched both of those videos.  The guy stacking two kayaks was, uh... silly, but informative.

Son;t plan to do any off-roading so clearance shouldn't be an issue, but thanks for pointing that out.

5 weight

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021
Also, I have hauled 3 kayaks at a time with mine. My 14’ on the bottom and my buddies 12 footers leaned against it on either side, had to put some gear in one of the rear seats and had the rods sticking out of the back slider but we got all 3 boats and gear for a full day on the water. They work great for lumber and pvc as well. I too am using the harbor freight one.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Al

Thanks Al.  How's that HF extender holding up?  I saw a video where the fellow allowed it to start to rust.

I store it indoors. Haven't noticed any rust.

Al
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:25:49 AM by Papa Al »

Tinker

I store it indoors. Haven't noticed any rust.

Al

Thank you, again.  No idea what the guy on YouTube did to cause it to rust, but not everyone takes care of their stuff.

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Harbor freight extends to 3ft. Any other mode out there extend more than that ?
For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
For me , it’s the only way to go!
A little older now so lifting up over my head on a rack is heavy not to mention rotator cuff concerns....
So this is quick , easy  and best for me! Mine has two rollers for easier sliding and the vertical bars squeeze in so it clamps the yak in tight. No straps needed, been using for 8+ yrs.
My Outback is the 3rd yak I’ve transported using this system and can do two at a time if needed. As for rust, yea there’s some but if you play in the ocean, it’s bound to happen :smt006

Scotty

That reminds me, I need a new red flag!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:56:45 PM by scottymeboy »
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Mine has rust - it'll take decades to make a difference when there's only two large iron pieces and two chromed connectors to the entire setup.

Works great, but don't forget it's on there and ram your shin on it.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Harbor freight extends to 3ft. Any other mode out there extend more than that ?

I had one of these. Worked well. I sold it back in 2012.

https://www.amazon.com/Darby-944-Industries-Extend-A-Truck/dp/B00008BKX5

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I went with a cheap ladder rack instead - now I can still use the bed of the truck for gear.
- Kevin

Tinker

For me , it’s the only way to go!

A little older now so lifting up over my head on a rack is heavy not to mention rotator cuff concerns....

So this is quick , easy  and best for me! Mine has two rollers for easier sliding and the vertical bars squeeze in so it clamps the yak in tight. No straps needed, been using for 8+ yrs.

My Outback is the 3rd yak I’ve transported using this system and can do two at a time if needed. As for rust, yea there’s some but if you play in the ocean, it’s bound to happen

Scotty

That reminds me, I need a new red flag!

Thanks, Scotty.  Vertical Bars that slide would be great.

Mine has rust - it'll take decades to make a difference when there's only two large iron pieces and two chromed connectors to the entire setup.

Works great, but don't forget it's on there and ram your shin on it.

I take it you learned about shin-banging the hard way?  Good advice, and thanks.

I went with a cheap ladder rack instead - now I can still use the bed of the truck for gear.

I have ladder racks and I agree they're great, but when the trip to the water takes no more than five minutes, it takes longer to put the kayak up there than it takes to get where I'm going.  Longer trips?  Rack for sure.

Thanks, everyone.  I didn't know the bed extenders were so widely used.  Now I feel left out... :smt001

anything