Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Scupper Pro vs. Trident (issues for tall guy)  (Read 3499 times)

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I bought my first kayak recently (a Scupper Pro) but after taking it out for a test paddle on Big River, I found two issues that lead me to think this might not be a good kayak for me (not that it's not a good kayak, maybe just not for me).

1. My ass is too wide for the seat. I'm 6'3", 190 pounds, and my hips got a bit uncomfortable being wedged in there (with a seat insert, but that seat isn't super padded). Maybe fine for an hour on a quiet river, but not sure about a full day of fishing in the ocean.

2. It was super easy to fall off to practice getting back on. Like really, really easy to fall off. Too easy. Maybe it's something to do with being so tall and having a lot of weight higher above the waterline. Dunno, but if it's this easy to fall off on a quiet river, what about the ocean?

So I'm exploring other kayak options and I came across a used Trident 15 that looks like a reasonable deal.

Questions:

Does anyone know if the seat width of the Trident is roomier than the Scupper Pro?

What about weight? I'll be needing to transport on a car top and hoist it up there. I think I read something about the Trident weight being increased through the years.

Is the Trident more stable?

Any other differences I should be aware of?

What other less-than-$800-used kayaks might be good to look at for ocean fishing off the Mendocino coast, that are light enough to get onto the roof rack of my Honda Fit (and reasonably stable)?

Thanks!

James

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Scupper Pro is much narrower and much smaller for 6'3" likely to be tippy. I suggest go with T15 as far more stable and very well designed for Ocean Fishing. I'm 5'7" 180lbs and love Trident 13. Good luck. I suggest you should demo paddle them.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

bryan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I loved my trident when I had it and im a big guy. I had a trident 13 and im 5'-10" and 240-260. It served me exceptionally in everything i took it into. Stability was great as well as speed but as said previously id try it out. The trident was super light as well and i could car top it using one hand for the most part

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Trident 13 n 15 are nice, best all around entry level kayaks. Any seat is a decent it’s all about the lower back support.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I suggest you should demo paddle them.

The noob is strong in this one. Bike? Sure, wouldn't think of it without trying it first. Car. Musical instruments. A cat. Etc. No doubt. But for some reason I thought, "Yeah, I'll just go drive 2 hours from here to pick it up, pay $600 cash, no discussion about returns or trying it out, and hope/assume everything will be totally fine." Then weeks later finally get it in the water (after getting all the safety gear) and find out it's not going to work.

Doh!

HG

• Salmon
  • View Profile Paubox
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I ride a Scupper Pro in Hawaii and a Trident 13 in SF. Trident for colder water I'd say.

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Trident 13 is great all around. I am 225 plus gear and no problem. Need to work to roll this.
The 15 is good also but BIG and I found hard to handle??
What kind of fishing are you doing? The hobie outback is another top kayak and very stable
Comes down to type of fishing you will be doing IMO
Long distance paddle then I go for Trident. Delta or lake then Outback

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
What kind of fishing are you doing? The hobie outback is another top kayak and very stable
Comes down to type of fishing you will be doing IMO

Jigging for lingcod within a half-mile of shore.

napajustin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I have both of those boats- A Scupper Pro and a Trident 15 (2016 model maybe?). Tyja Taube had the same one as me.

Both are excellent kayaks. The Scupper Pro is way lighter, and way faster. It has less utility, and is a wetter ride (unless you plug the scuppers under your butt). I'm 5'10 and 220lbs. I have spent many full days over many seasons on the ocean in the Scupper Pro, and been perfectly comfortable. The Scupper Pro is "tippier" than other kayaks, but honestly, I never had a problem with it. Just keep your eyes up. There's a reason people still buy these, and I will never sell mine. It was my first kayak and I bought it from Antonio (RIP). Great to dive off, too. It's tried and true.

The Trident 15 has more rigging options and overall comfort at the expense of weight. Built-in flush rod holders and dry storage. It paddles really well, too. It has better primary stability than the Scupper Pro, and can definitely carry more weight/gear/fish. If you felt like you were going to tip over on the Scupper Pro, you'd probably feel a lot better in the Trident 15.

Napajustin

2013 Yakhopper's Delta Kayak Madness - 2nd Place Striper Division
2015 Gimme Shelter Tournament - 2nd Place Overall Tie x4
2015 Gimme Shelter Tournament - 1st Place Team w/ Wingshooter
2024 People Magazine's Sexiest Man of the Year

Tinker

Trident 13 n 15 are nice, best all around entry level kayaks. Any seat is a decent it’s all about the lower back support.

The Tridents are NOT "entry level kayaks".  It wasn't all that long ago when everyone owned or wanted to own a Trident - and finding a used Trident still isn't easy.

ftbraggyakfish, also look at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or 140.  They'll be a bit lighter in weight than a Trident but they, too, were extremely sought-after kayaks not long ago.

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

"Yeah, I'll just go drive 2 hours from here to pick it up, pay $600 cash, no discussion about returns or trying it out, and hope/assume everything will be totally fine." Then weeks later finally get it in the water ...

That's what I did with my T13.  Good boat. 

I'm 5'10' +  190
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:26:29 PM by Tez »