Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fished Indian Valley Reservoir yesterday  (Read 3835 times)

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
The 12 miles of dirt road tend to screen the casual, so I wound up being largely alone. Caught 5 smallmouth on a Gray Wooly Bugger (size 4) - and was surprised to find my biggest fish was a Catfish ... which made my day. First Catfish on a fly  (about 2lb) and while I had heard they ate fairly aggressively, was surprised to see it on my line.

As it always does, the wind came up at 11AM and blew me all over Hell's Half Acre, so I stashed the fly rod and fished a variety of conventional tackle. Indian Valley always blows heavily at 11AM, then the wind starts to taper later in the afternoon, so bring some conventional gear to fish during the worst of the blow.

Caught 10 largemouth, one more Catfish (about same size) and two additional Smallmouth using a Senko worm during the windy period. Beached the kayak numerous times to hold position in the wind - then fished the Senko on the points. Brain Damage good fun, and well worth the trip.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thanks for sharing, I fly fished when I was in my teens but haven’t since. I should give it a try again sometime.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
You have to love pain to truly enjoy fly fishing. I just pinch all my barbs so that it makes it easier to extract all that metal from my arse cheek ... wind is not your friend. Learn at the local club without a hook - it emboldens you to try it for real with a wind blowing ...

For the others, proof of Catfish ... that way I cannot be blamed for no picture .

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Not fishing related, but more curiosity for my dual sport motorcycle planning...  Do you come in from the north (Lodoga Leesville Rd) or from 20 (Walker Ridge Road)?  Either way, what were the road conditions?  Lots of washboard or fairly well graded?  Any washouts to navigate?
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The North end of the lake is Leesville Lodoga Road, it's a one lane track through the woods that would be difficult to get a trailer through ... and there is a lot of %$#@&^% camping at the North end with a lot of firepower (lots of bullets flying at times). Because this is a drought year the North End is dry ... It's a dry lakebed up to the creek channel and a bit beyond.

I come in through the Southern end at the dam, which is the Ridge route off of HWY 20. The road is pitted in places but is a bit wider than the Leesville route - so you can travel a bit faster due to the road conditions. There is a lot of offroad types on this side - and numerous encampments of California Militia, which use the area with frequency.

The Ridge road has a few potholes but is very navigable with a two wheel drive vehicle. There is plenty of washboard action - but no washouts or other obstacles.

danf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2022
I had no idea ICR had bass! I'll have to put that on my list.
Old Town 106pdl

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
nice!  catfish at the end of the fly rod must have been a hoot!

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I appreciate this report. I used to fish there years ago and am now considering it again.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021
IVR was one of my favorite offroad camping spots but has gotten way too much of the Wild Wild West up there recently. Never heard a bullet tumble in the air before as it whizzed over my family heads. confronted the group but was pointless, went back to camp after talking with them said they were done for the day only to have 30 more rounds fired in our direction once back to camp. packed up camp and left! Must people up there have no brains and trash the place. Definitely good/ respectable people up there but seems to be less and less. Be safe out there and watch your surroundings.

Now as far as fishing..... It's a great spot. Bass, crappie, catfish and trout! Caught some very large catfish up there on rooster tails! Hit up the creeks for trout!
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Last I heard it was pretty empty.  Good to hear to its still going!! Last fished the north end years ago and the crappie bite was great
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: DancesWithHooks
North end with a lot of firepower (lots of bullets flying at times).

numerous encampments of California Militia, which use the area with frequency.

Quote from: Tpowell707
too much of the Wild Wild West up there recently. Never heard a bullet tumble in the air before as it whizzed over my family heads. confronted the group but was pointless, went back to camp after talking with them said they were done for the day only to have 30 more rounds fired in our direction once back to camp. packed up camp and left! 

Place sounds potentially hazardous and scary.

How far off of highway 20?  Like an hour or so?

I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Thanks for putting that place back on my radar. Used to got there for cast ‘n blast for doves and bass.
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Quote from: DancesWithHooks
North end with a lot of firepower (lots of bullets flying at times).

numerous encampments of California Militia, which use the area with frequency.

Quote from: Tpowell707
too much of the Wild Wild West up there recently. Never heard a bullet tumble in the air before as it whizzed over my family heads. confronted the group but was pointless, went back to camp after talking with them said they were done for the day only to have 30 more rounds fired in our direction once back to camp. packed up camp and left! 

Place sounds potentially hazardous and scary.

How far off of highway 20?  Like an hour or so?

About hour and a half, bepends on your rig and how fast your going... always bring a flat repair kit and air compressor with you!
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

Twopatch

• Salmon
  • I like my tea,in the harbor
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
Used to be the best koke fishery in the state. Imo. Limits to 18.5 many ,many, many times. Used to catch bruiser Eagle lake trout,there also. Then they drained it to almost nothing. It's was a real Gem. Now it resembles the rest of California . The catfish in that lake are clean,and taste great.
We have the government, that our forefathers warned us about.

anything