Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:11:37 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 12:09:28 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie finally delivered!  (Read 4332 times)

Fen

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Good news everyone,

Most probably won't remember me but I joined about 4 months ago, without a kayak. After waiting 4 months for an order, she finally has been delivered! (well it arrived last weekend, I just have been way too busy with the return to work to have anything done, as well as a 23 month old cat that was just diagnosed with high grade, large cell lymphoma). Can't wait to get her in the water, when time permits and if someone wants a nooby friend to sail with (speaking of, I do have both vaccines and this coming Friday I'll be fully vaccinated, according to the CDC so I'll be 'safe' to sail with... whether your sanity is safe or not is another story).

Sadly 14 hour days kill me and make the dmv visit near impossible. Any actual risk to tossing her in the water from the harbor master without my registration? The laws here in CA seem a bit harsh, with the 8 foot length/sail requirement = an actual sailboat. :/

And being that this is legally a sailboat for the dmv, is it a sailboat for the coastguard as well? i.e. do I need to buy the extras (throwable, lights, etc) that the CG requires? Any recommendation on where to get stickers from (gosh, I hate having to put stickers on a new hull)?

Thank you guys for any and all help. ^.^ Love you

~Fen
'21 Hobie Tandem Island

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Congratulations on the TI!

I haven't heard of anyone getting busted around here for not registering a non-motorized AI or TI.

Hope to see you on the water.

Krishna
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I believe once you register it, you have to be in compliance with all the requirements for a motorized watercraft/sailboat.  In addition to the flotation/pfd and signaling requirements, you can add the navigational light requirements and California Boaters Card to the list (if applicable according to age). 

.......or just don’t register it.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats on the sup9nice ride  :smt008. Thanks for the pictures Fen.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I haven't heard of anyone getting busted around here for not registering a non-motorized AI or TI.

Ditto that. I've been sailing my AI a fair bit since 2015 and have not registered it yet. I figure they'll crack down one day, but until then, I'll roll the dice...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• Stof
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

Ditto that. I've been sailing my AI a fair bit since 2015 and have not registered it yet. I figure they'll crack down one day, but until then, I'll roll the dice...

I've been told I need to get it registered once by coast guard when they were out...
just a guy who likes to fish and hunt for shrooms

2016 Adventure Island ‘Sunshine’

IG: stof_got_steelhead

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017

I've been told I need to get it registered once by coast guard when they were out...

Did you have a motor on it at the time?

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Fight the Power!!

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Fen

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Being 30 and younger than most.... I'm just gonna go with the flow of the group. :P But hey, I didn't hear the 'don't register' part of it... dealer just never told me to register it. Feigning ignorance should work the first time, at least. :D

Any recommendations on railblazer vs h-rail, or some other mounting system that you guys have used?

I'm still waiting on a few accessories to be delivered, waiting on safety equipment to arrive before I take it out (I can swim, I've swam in rough seas when I was younger and more in shape but now  I'm bouyant! [in a nice way to put it]). Life vest, fish finder. Just picked up a vhf (hx890) today and ordered the fish finder, I need to visit a bass pro shop because the options at west marine were..... very very sad in terms of kayak angling. Also need to get a rod and tackle.
'21 Hobie Tandem Island

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Any recommendations on railblazer vs h-rail, or some other mounting system that you guys have used?

I'm a fan of railblaza. The "sideport" mounts work well inside the pockets (and still leave plenty of usable space), the "starport" mounts fit on flats surfaces (and do not require a giant hole in the boat), while a "railmount" will fit nicely on the aka bars. I'd use a backing plate (1/4" starboard plastic works well) for the sideport and starport mounts.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I'm still waiting on a few accessories to be delivered, waiting on safety equipment to arrive before I take it out (I can swim, I've swam in rough seas when I was younger and more in shape but now  I'm bouyant! [in a nice way to put it]).

Glad to hear you got a VHF. Be sure you are dressed to survive prolonged cold water immersion (wetsuit or dry suit) if you are taking it out on the ocean.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Fen

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I'm still waiting on a few accessories to be delivered, waiting on safety equipment to arrive before I take it out (I can swim, I've swam in rough seas when I was younger and more in shape but now  I'm bouyant! [in a nice way to put it]).

Glad to hear you got a VHF. Be sure you are dressed to survive prolonged cold water immersion (wetsuit or dry suit) if you are taking it out on the ocean.

I have a semi-dry, I'm medically not able to wear a drysuit. Latex will kill me so I've got a dry suit with neoprene instead. I'm trying to find a nice liner that won't overheat me above water, but won't let me freeze below.

I'm a fan of railblaza. The "sideport" mounts work well inside the pockets (and still leave plenty of usable space), the "starport" mounts fit on flats surfaces (and do not require a giant hole in the boat), while a "railmount" will fit nicely on the aka bars. I'd use a backing plate (1/4" starboard plastic works well) for the sideport and starport mounts.

I'm gonna have to check you out when I get all my safety gear. I'll see if I can review the emails you sent me to see your mounts if they're there, maybe pop on your channel and see if any of your vids have them too. Otherwise I'm planning to just sail with people who fish for now until I get used to it and ease myself into angling. Only ever fished off a pontoon/center and pier/jetty/shore (bay/fresh, never ocean yet). I'm gonna check their site for the sideports, starports and railmounts you mentioned to check them out. Need to figure out what all I want to mount and where to mount them.
'21 Hobie Tandem Island

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I suggest you register your TI as soon as possible.  Its required by law. I used to own a AI and waited several months to register it. When I went in person to DMV to register it, the clerk asked for a bill of sale. She noted that the bill of sale was several months old and added a late fee. I cant remember how much it was.
I have a buddy on this site who waited several years to register his AI and was fined $500 on top of the registeration fee.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:49:17 AM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I'm not sure why not registering is an option. If I were you, I'd make time for it. DMV also has an option to do it by mail if you can't make it there.

Chacon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020

Pretty ridiculous that you have to register a piece of plastic.. California is such a love/hate state to live in