Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:34:08 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Reel recommendations needed  (Read 3911 times)

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I'm sure this topic has been posted to near death, so if someone knows where the thread is, that'll probably work -- I couldn't find it.

I'm new to kayak fishing and have got just about all my gear ready to go except the reel (a bait-caster seems to be the reel-style of choice). I've got an old, stout 6' fiberglass pole that'll be good enough for starters and maybe more.

I'll be fishing near the kelp, so hopefully ling, cabezon, etc.

Budget: Max $135 (though less would be preferable)

One thing I'm considering, though it looks pretty small in the vids I've seen -- maybe that's irrelevant? Dunno:
https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/lew-s-mach-inshore-speed-spool-slp-casting-reel.html

Thanks!

James in Fort Bragg

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I’d like a little more line capacity nothing wrong w a used 300 series baitcaster.

https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/abu-garcia-ambassadeur-c4-casting-reels.html
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:27:23 PM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I’d like a little more line capacity nothing wrong w a used 300 series baitcaster.

I've seen reference to "300" series on a number of brands before but can't find any info on what that means. Could you please explain that to me?

Thanks!

James

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The bigger the number the bigger the reel the bigger the spool... the bigger the line capacity...the bigger the fish.. not fun fighting a big fish on a small reel... lots of play action...  and you could get spooled with not enough line capacity and week drag.  I use to use graphite body reels. But I find the body flexes a lot under stress. :smt001
2014 Hobie Revo 13

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I just when through the same search for a budget baitcaster that would hold at least 200 yards of 40lb braid and wound up getting this one:
https://www.piscifun.com/collections/baitcasting-reel/products/piscifun-alijos-size-300-low-profile-baitcasting-reel-aluminum-frame-casting-reels

They are having an Easter sale (code EST16) so it was only $84. The YouTube reviews were really good and it has a full aluminum frame that other brands don't have at this price. It has a few gear ratio and handle options. At this price I figure I would give it a try. This will by my first baitcaster so I am no expert, just thought I would share.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That’s a good deal right there...
2014 Hobie Revo 13

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
When jigging for big fish, I prefer a 300 or 400 sized baitcaster reel with a counterbalanced power handle.  I find the two-paddle handle found on most baitcaster reels to be inadequate for winching up big fish.

Ftbraggyakfish, if you'll be using the reel in the ocean, you need a reel which can handle the salt.  That may require you to pay more than the $135 you currently have budgeted.

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Ftbraggyakfish, if you'll be using the reel in the ocean, you need a reel which can handle the salt.  That may require you to pay more than the $135 you currently have budgeted.

I believe both of the reels recommended here (the Abu Garcia and the Piscifun) can handle salt. Am I mistaken? And does "inshore" always mean salt water (but close to land?)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Inshore less depth more inland fishing ..  around SF bay... I’d consider anything inside the bay as inshore. also  inshore tackle is generally light weight...
2014 Hobie Revo 13

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
+1 to the larger counterbalanced handle.  Also some people prefer a "left handed" reel. Being right handed, I find the lefty reels more convenient especially for jigging or more precision control. If you're just learning tho, it may be a good idea to learn the non-lefty reels as they are more common I believe.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Also some people prefer a "left handed" reel. Being right handed, I find the lefty reels more convenient especially for jigging or more precision control.

I too am a righty and I prefer left-handed reels. But, I use right-handed reels, because the rudder control on my Hobie requires my left hand, and both reeling and ruddering with my left hand puts too much stress on my left wrist.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

ftbraggyakfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
https://www.piscifun.com/collections/baitcasting-reel/products/piscifun-alijos-size-300-low-profile-baitcasting-reel-aluminum-frame-casting-reels

They are having an Easter sale (code EST16) so it was only $84. The YouTube reviews were really good and it has a full aluminum frame that other brands don't have at this price. It has a few gear ratio and handle options.

Gear ratios: There are two options with this reel: 5.9:1 and 8.1:1. For jigging for ling which would be most appropriate?

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
8 high gear pulls the fish up quicker
2014 Hobie Revo 13

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017

They are having an Easter sale (code EST16) so it was only $84. The YouTube reviews were really good and it has a full aluminum frame that other brands don't have at this price. It has a few gear ratio and handle options.

Gear ratios: There are two options with this reel: 5.9:1 and 8.1:1. For jigging for ling which would be most appropriate?

Either will work. They retrieve 26 and 36 inches of line per turn, respectively. I have spinning reels with those same rates and they both work fine. I suppose if you are fishing deep or reeling in a salmon that is swimming toward you the 8:1 would be better since you can bring in line faster. I went with the 5.9:1 since it might be a bit easier to reel in a big fish. I would be interested to her other folks opinions.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

Either will work. They retrieve 26 and 36 inches of line per turn, respectively. I have spinning reels with those same rates and they both work fine. I suppose if you are fishing deep or reeling in a salmon that is swimming toward you the 8:1 would be better since you can bring in line faster. I went with the 5.9:1 since it might be a bit easier to reel in a big fish. I would be interested to her other folks opinions.
I do a lot of jigging on the bottom in depths between about 170 and 240 feet.  I find a fast retrieve rate to be desirable to get lures and fish up from that depth fast.  With a power handle, the faster retrieve rate isn't a disadvantage when winching up big fish.

The Piscifun reel has a power handle, which will make it easier to reel in big fish, but the handle isn't counterbalanced, which could be bad for jigging.  I bought a Shimano Tranx 300 reel with a non-counterbalanced power handle, and discovered that the lack of a counterbalance was very annoying and inconvenient.  The reel is a right hand crank reel, so you turn the handle clockwise to bring in line.  The lack of a counterbalance wasn't a problem when the handle was between 6:00 o'clock and 12:00 o'clock, but as soon as the handle went past 12:00 o'clock, it was heavy enough so it would flop down to 6:00 o'clock, reeling in a bunch of line.  Then I would need to drop my lure to get back into contact with the bottom.  It was a constant hassle.  Shimano doesn't make a counterbalanced handle for the Tranx, and I couldn't find a counterbalanced handle made by another manufacturer which would fit the Tranx, so I ended up making a DIY counterbalance.  Now the reel works great. The Daiwa Lexa and the Penn Squall come with counterbalanced power handles.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:27:48 AM by pmmpete »