Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: The danger of Waders  (Read 6298 times)

LingBling

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
 :smt006

Good article that really outlines a need for immersion protection, “proper” protection!!   
Thanks for posting

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Good info on how bad waders can be - I think they should've really focused on having a VHF (or two) also.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Just like the kayak fisherman in Oregon, the weight of the water in his waders prevented him from climbing back onto his kayak, so he decided to remove his waders. However in order to do so, he first had to remove his PFD.

Although he managed to remove both his PFD and his waders, without the support of his PFD he drowned before he was able to get back on his kayak. It’s also possible that his kayak drifted away while he was struggling to remove his waders. Swimming failure due to cold shock would have made it impossible for him to catch it.

~~~

I dislike author making unequivocal statements of fact like the above.  Can reasonably infer, and state the probable.  But it will never be known exactly what happened, and in what sequence, that led to Brunner's demise.

Otherwise, a good article re immersing in cold water while yakangling

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Man, this one has been debated so many times. Here on other forums and in YT videos.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=28620.0

Waders of Death?
You guys pick up on the cooler stories we post at the Kayak Angler website, so I usually hang back to avoid the SPAM factor.

I'm so excited about this one, I'm breaking the rule.

You might recall I held the camera when Jim Sammons put on a pair of waders then hopped into that chilly pool a few years ago. He didn't sink or take on a ton of water, but we all knew the environmental factors were set on "easy."

East coaster Ric Burnley recently did Jim one better. During field testing for a Kayak Angler Magazine story, Ric cannonballed repeatedly into 36 degree Chesapeake Bay. Videographer Kayak Kevin was there to catch Ric's polar plunges on camera.

There's snow on the shoreline, but the wind machine was turned off and the water is nice and calm. Even so, I'm convinced waders alone could have killed him in a real fishing scenario in those water conditions. You'll notice Ric was in and out of the water in a flash that last time. He would have been dangerously waterlogged within a minute.

Check it out and see what you think. I know you'll make your own judgements on how this fits into the NorCal picture.

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/features/915-video-kayak-angler-cold-water-outerwear-test-.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:01:05 PM by Fisherman X »
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Man, this one has been debated so many times. Here on other forums and in YT videos.

I know, seeing this is a sure sign that it is still winter!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Waders story from Kayak Angler mag and quote are from ncka PAL. 

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I had one bad wader experience when surf fishing. Not that I wasn’t aware of the danger; just didn’t think it could be so dangerous. It is.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007

Waders story from Kayak Angler mag and quote are from ncka PAL. 

Bushy

Yeah, apologies to Paul- I thought I’d included that
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Keep a knife strapped to you PFD and employ it if wearing waders and need to shed it quick-like.  A knife can free you from anything hanging up as well in an emergency. 
I wear waders when duck hunting.  Water is USUALLY only a few feet deep at most, but murky water hides things that might trip you up and prevent you from getting your feet back under you and head back above water.  It only takes inches to drown. 

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Knife is definitely a good idea to have... just refrain from cutting yourself if avoidable.

Into the murky waters knife a-ready  :smt027

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I had one bad wader experience when surf fishing. Not that I wasn’t aware of the danger; just didn’t think it could be so dangerous. It is.

I've had a few close calls back east with waders, but this past crab season I had a really close call on Ocean Beach.  Some context: I wear a sturdy wading belt (it's a dive belt that one of the Montauk OGs modifies), I carry a blunt tipped rescue knife and I never, ever turn my back on the ocean.  However, one day when I was crabbing just south of Sloat Ave, a sneaker wave came in.  It was big enough that when the water got up to my belly, I did the typical jump and ride motion.  This time, though, it carried me all the way into the rocks.  Then I found myself horizontal.  The wading belt certainly slows inflow, but it does not prevent it.  I felt my feet getting wet and knew my waders were filling.  Once the wave started flushing back out, I felt them filling faster, so I tried to rotate myself so the rip wasn't helping fill the waders.  I was able to find my footing again and got out safely, but I was looking at those rocks thinking about how soft my skull is -- despite what my wife may think.  It's times like those that I think to myself, "I cannot fathom wearing these on a boat or kayak."
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Since waders don't have relief zippers, but dry suits do, coupled with my love of coffee and a weak bladder, waders will not do for me.  Waders would guarantee wet feet for me.

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Since waders don't have relief zippers, but dry suits do, coupled with my love of coffee and a weak bladder, waders will not do for me.  Waders would guarantee wet feet for me.

Wet feet and that rental wetsuit smell.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

Redington used to make a pair w/relief zipper almost $300 ,there's a few manufacturers out there
Why even look?  My dry suit also provides immersion protection.