Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Storing butts: where do you keep after the catch?  (Read 2953 times)

Snarcbite

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Hi all.  I haven't fished halibut on a kayak yet and i was wondering... where do you keep the halibut after you catch them?

I was thinking about getting the hobie fish bag so that i can bleed/keep cold for freshness.  Has anyone tried the hobie fish bags?  if so what size do you use? I have a hobie outback.

My worry with stringing them and keeping them in the water is that bleeding them could attract sharks / other unwanted marine life attention. 

Thanks for your 2 cents- Nick

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Hi all.  I haven't fished halibut on a kayak yet and i was wondering... where do you keep the halibut after you catch them?

I was thinking about getting the hobie fish bag so that i can bleed/keep cold for freshness.  Has anyone tried the hobie fish bags?  if so what size do you use? I have a hobie outback.

My worry with stringing them and keeping them in the water is that bleeding them could attract sharks / other unwanted marine life attention. 

Thanks for your 2 cents- Nick

I keep them in the water.  No issues with sharks or furbags the past several years in the Bay. 
Burlap sack and occasional splashes to keep moist works. 
Large or XL kill bag works as well, though costs more money and takes up a lot of deck space.

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I know many swear by the burlap sack, but personally I think there is a chance for your fish to get warm, especially on an extended outing in the sun (ie. You luckily score your first keeper early but spend the next 7 hours searching for the go home fish). Based on personal experience, there is a big drop in the quality of the meat if it gets warm.

Therefore, I ice my fish in kill bags. For halibut, since they are flat, the cheaper silver horde type bags work quite well. If you have the cash, the reliable (hobie) bags work really great for halibut and salmon.
IG: @sakana_seeker

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I’ll also add that I find that the post-processing for halibut is equally important as the day of. I find the meat to be much more tender and flavorful after aging the halibut 24-48 hours either on ice or in the fridge (after being cleaned but before filleted).

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I use a fish bag, I have 2 but pretty much just use the Reliable one now.  Sits behind me and is connected to kayak so won't go anywhere in a flip.

Reliable Kayak Fish bag - expensive but good.  Very large, same as Hobie large one.  Easy to clean.

Seattle Sports Roll Catch Cooler - much cheaper and still good.  Harder to get fish into as it's just opened from the one side but works great.  It's smaller and more compact so actually hugs the fish better than the Reliable when you have smaller or less fish inside.

I bleed my catch, sometimes ike jime the spinal column, and then put in bag.  I think there is a big difference in a bled and iced fish vs warm.

Some species like salmon, pacific mackerel will degrade extremely fast.  You can see examples of this when you fillet them and the muscle fibers separate on the fillets.

I use a combination of ice and ice packs.  Usually whatever I remember to freeze before my trip and will buy 1 7lb bag of ice on the way out. 

Garyinca

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I have a pa14 and a cooler sits perfectly behind the seat. Any early fishing reports of halibut north of the Bay Area I am 3 hrs north of sf

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I've always done the burlap sack, but I do put in 7+ hour days fairly often, I just don't know when to give up, so I'll probably pick up a Reliable soon. If you aren't out for too long and it's not too warm, the burlap sack works fine though. You can throw a couple of frozen water bottle in there.

gtnotte

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I don't mind trailing the butts over the side if I'm fishing in the bay, but in the ocean, I always put my bled catch into a fish bag with either ice packs, wet ice or both.  One option no one has mentioned is the kill bags from Elkton.  My buddy and I have both been using the 40" for two seasons now and they have held up remarkably well.  At $100 you can get two and still have some leftover cash compared to the hobie or reliable brands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWHZ666/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I’ll also add that I find that the post-processing for halibut is equally important as the day of. I find the meat to be much more tender and flavorful after aging the halibut 24-48 hours either on ice or in the fridge (after being cleaned but before filleted).

I cant find the thread that was posted last year about aging the fish in those containers. That was definitely a game changer with Salmon

It’s here: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=92949.0

Fun thread, I learned a ton and ended up with better sashimi.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I don't mind trailing the butts over the side if I'm fishing in the bay, but in the ocean, I always put my bled catch into a fish bag with either ice packs, wet ice or both.  One option no one has mentioned is the kill bags from Elkton.  My buddy and I have both been using the 40" for two seasons now and they have held up remarkably well.  At $100 you can get two and still have some leftover cash compared to the hobie or reliable brands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWHZ666/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also have an Elkton...great bang for ya buck kill bag.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

divenfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Mako sells insulated kayak fish bags for $124.95 free shipping no tax, 36"x8x20

https://www.makospearguns.com/Kayak-Fish-Bag-3620-p/mkfb3620.htm

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I have never fished 7 hours LOL 5 max .. and

Body can’t take it , I started kayak fishing at 52 w/ a jacked up back

Hell now , post surgery who knows but I doubt it
You need a kayak with a comfortable seat as well as one you can stand up in.
At 61 I have real bad back issues and got a Big Fish 108. I have a real good seat in it and can stand up when I want. I survive over 8 hours in it and it is so comfortable.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Everyone is different. Regardless of the severity or trauma.   
Yes

For me, the non-rigid/non-framed seat works. The seat I have on my prowler is the basic old style seat. It allows me to slide into a pretty much recumbent position and back as needed. I fashioned a headrest out of a few pool noodle wrapped around each other and duct taped. This set-up allows for splaying out and putting my feet up or down as well. I do wear padded cycling knickers for a bit of cushioning. Initially I was concerned that this would not be enough, but after getting used to it, I decided on forgoing anymore extra cushioning materials.

Movement and motion is the potion that keeps me moving and grooving LOL
+1

It's sooo worth it...   :yak  :smt006
:fishing1 :fishing2

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:51:19 AM by fishemotion »

Garyinca

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I an in Laytonville and fish a lot in shelter cove .it is definitely not a good idea to keep fish on a clip in the water. Sharks everywhere. I use a cooler on the back deck of my hobie pa 14. We had numerous sightings and a kayak attack last year

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Garyinca
I an in Laytonville and fish a lot in shelter cove .it is definitely not a good idea to keep fish on a clip in the water. Sharks everywhere. I use a cooler on the back deck of my hobie pa 14. We had numerous sightings and a kayak attack last year

Two attacks at Shelter Cove, but who's counting? 

I was glad that 14 footer that swam right between us didn't want to make contact - it looked athletic! 

I keep my fish in the tankwell behind me with wet burlap over them - Gary's cooler works great if you have that much room.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.