Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Storms and seafloor  (Read 1501 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Learnt a lesson today!
  Was at Rockaway yesterday looking at the flat surf and after seeing the conditions were similar today, dropped a couple pots in the evening for an overnight soak. 
    I launched today, got my pots (half dozen keepers) paused on the way in to let a surfer get out of the way in a spot I would usually stow the drive and switch to paddle but waves started breaking 5 feet  in front of me as he pushed by.  I was in a pickle, so I tried to push through but got turnt by the next wave, flipped, and got a good gulp of sea water. I was able to get the boat right side up and got on top then made it to shore in one piece (most important). The traps didn't stay on the boat by design, I had the ropes free and buoys loose so they could do their job. The surfer grabbed my PVC holder which was awesome. Big thanks to a guy on a Zodiac who was able to pull up one of the pots.
    After warming back up and reflecting on what I did right and where I went wrong. First and foremost I thought about Tedski asking if I practiced self-rescue in HMB harbor (Thank you sir, lucky I did).  I'm lucky I took the advice about managing what to keep on a leash (paddle, drive) and what not to (crab traps, pot holders), otherwise I might have been tangled and wouldn't have been able to move let alone get the yak right side up. I was dressed for immersion and had a knife on my PFD.
     I think the recent weather has changed the seafloor and all the usual staging areas and launch/landing spots of the past didn't work. Pausing where I did was a mistake. As I was getting on the boat I was being shoved into a HUGE set of rocks recently exposed by the storms on and would have ended up there if I didn't get back on the boat as quickly as I did. I should have recognized this and been more cautious/delayed/called off my launch.
     With the golden advice of 2 out of 3: 1. Knowledge of area/ 2. Trustworthy buddy/ 3. Perfect conditions I would only add that recent knowledge of the area above and below the water is really what is needed. 
      My overconfidence of a beach I visit multiple times a week could have cost me my life today. Fortunately I listen to people who know more than I do, and will continue to do so. Thank you very much sharing what you know.
Slate Hobie Compass

2023 MBK 1st place

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Sounds like quite the experience!  So glad you're okay and looking back on it with an eye for prevention.  It's interesting because I think about beach structure a lot when surf fishing and how it changes after storms, but I'm not sure I was mentally applying that same level of awareness to kayaking.  Thanks for sharing your experience.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Wave and bar shoaling are relatively predictable wintertime events.  I suggest modifying your “place I know well” to include knowing well in that particular season.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Glad you made it back safely and thanks for sharing in your learning experience!

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Sharing your experience helps us all.... Thank You.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Man glad you're ok. Overconfidence is a killer. Its good to be humbled. You were wise to take safety seriously and practice. And now you'll be wiser next time you go out. Great post and thanks
A jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other end.

olseng2002

• Salmon
  • 2020 Pro Angler 14
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Thank you for the info. I never thought about the sea floor changing

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
The inshore any place is the riskiest part of kayaking

We’ve been surfing the big swell every chance we get and are seeing kayaks stacked up with crab traps, even though ocean has been on the exciting side. Two out of three of us are on injured reserves right now, both needed emergency surgery and a week in the hospital. I’m saying it because we are in the water with the lightest of gear, and seeing people out and especially going through the surf with something big and top heavy seems pretty insane at the moment

A narrow yak with crab traps strapped on top doesn’t seem like a great combo even under the best circumstances but that’s coming from a dyed in the wool minimalist

Blobfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Rockaway has a gnar shorebreak. Been surfing it 15yrs. Never seen a kayaker there... goes to show if you see a surfer there, you probably should be  kayaking : ) Lindamar south is friendlier, with a more gradual bottom, rocky, so its both more protected from swell and less likely to vary the bottom. surfers call it the kiddie pool.