Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:16:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Water in the main hull  (Read 7737 times)

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Anyone here who knows how stealth got their intro here knows I had something to do with it, and I had my 575 shipped here because based on what I saw on the internet I knew it fit my style. It was also the first 575 shipped to the us

On the positive side I’ve tested it in some rough situations and can say it’s fast and handles really well especially in circumstances

On the negative side, I had all the same problems as flyaker - both my scuppers leaked (which I repaired), the double hull is non-functional as a double hull, meaning water in the stow compartment goes into the hull, + the problems with the cable housings and glass where they attach. There are a few other minor problems but I don’t want to sound like a nitpick

When the major issues started I’d had this yak only a few years, not what I paid for. These are all definitely problems in the build, not just normal wear and tear

Part of the problem is there’s no real rep here, so like flyaker says, if you have problems you’re on your own

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2020
First off thanks again Superfly. Ocean Paddle Sports turned me onto their repair guy about a hour south of me. I’ll talk with him and Brett to make a game plan. If I can afford the help from a experienced pro then great otherwise I goin in ;)

To Bluekayak- I can appreciate what you’re saying. I’ve known of Stealth for several years and like many companies things can be bumpy
but like you the overall features really suit what I want in a sit on top style boat. Despite the wrinkles I’ll love this boat for as long as I can paddle and maintain it well. With SA as the headquarters we knew there
would be some challenges (piss off Covid19!!!) But you’re not nitpicky at all... certain things need to be top shelf and top quality, even more so when distances are a factor not to mention a pretty penny along with all of it. Anyway, It’s all good...eventually :) I just hope other owners might
appreciate my sharing my situation but I don’t mean to put people off the brand. Truth is Stealth still seems to have some issues with QC and import to US but like my old 1995 Land Rover D90 was a bit of a pig I
loved having one for a few years before it became a downpayment on my house ;) I doubt my Stealth will do that trick but I don’t care ;) It’s both beautiful and badass at the same time.
Cheers

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I wanted to post a final update to what came of my starting this thread:
Turns out I had leaking in both footwell Venturis. Water was getting in thru the inter connecting posts of that make up the drain. Carefully had to pry off the clam covers for access to the connection. Although there was evidence of some glue used in factory they were was not fully sealed. I carefully filed in the connection with G Flex 650 Resin. Then I crossed my fingers and waited out a 7 day curing of 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant to reinstall the clam covers...next time Im using good old marine goop ;)   

Some bad weather moved through my area which kept me from a test paddle until today. 4hrs on the water and a bone dry hull :)
During the extended wait time I turned attention to my sonar install.
Check out how Ive rigged in my battery. Tested that today as well.
Worked great but my transducer will need gluing. I attempted a foam
block hoping to keep transducer easily to removable but it wasnt reading bottom as well without being glued in...thats for tomorrow.

Anyway I wanted to say thanks again to all for the great input that helped me find the leak, connect with a repair shop that gave me some pointers. Not exactly the kinda thing I wanted to deal with but Im
stoked to be past it.

Pics: Venturi drain: before and after G Flex,
        Sonar: Mounted with velcro and bungee loop. 

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I bought a used 495 Stealth Evolution and I am having the same problem. I probably have a gallon of water in the main hull every time I go out fishing. Thanks for the information.  :smt006

-Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
It was too bad overall to repair considering. It might be worth looking into. One added thing...Ive since been recommended a different adhesive for replacing the clam covers: Life Seal. I have to check it out more but if it has less cure time you might consider using that.

Otherwise G Flex 650 was the shit for sorting the main problem in my case.

Good luck. I hope you solve yours as well.

Aespo90

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile My Instagram
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Ill be book marking this thread.  Hopefully these issues are limited to a few units but itll be a good piece of info t have if i experience these issues.  Thanks guys
Fishing IG: @blackflag_fishing
3D Printing IG: @stealth3dprinting
2014 Ocean Kayak T13 SOLD
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

anything