Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:35:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Water in the main hull  (Read 7724 times)

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2020
Anyone else experiencing water in the main hull? Is this typical for Stealth?

I measured out 6 cups after about 4/5hrs fishing session open ocean but glassy overall. Another 2 cups today after about 2/3hrs glassy again large harbor setting...even more mellow.

Im not too concerned...Brett thought 6 cups was no concern and typical
after a fishing session.

Interesting thing is a non fishing, paddle only session seems to leave the hull remaining dry. Perhaps the drifting and reverse maneuvers
invite the issue. Otherwise conditions were mild chop to glassy with no
deck-side water. Its below waterline, scuppers or rudder shaft.

Just a little concerned about a longer day in rough water where Its hard for most any kayak to stay dry inside.

I’d appreciate any prior experience replies and potential repair advice
if I actually have a issue needing more serious attention.

Thanks and Happy Hullidays to All :)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Hi Flyaker - I think that Bluekayak will have some info for you.  You might message him if he doesn't respond here.

Best of luck.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
6 cups out of the main hull, so the drain closest to the bow? Cant say that’s normal. I get maybe a few tablespoons to MAYBE a cup out of that after a FULL day. I get quite a bit out of the fish hatch drain, cause fish and hatch being open and what not. I added beads of silicon around all my rod holders (when I switched the stock to larger rod butt end size holders) and  added a dab of silicon to the screws when reinstalled. That much water doesn’t seem right to me, maybe check the footwell drains to see if there’s  something.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
No Stealth for me...yet.  When we recently loaded a fusion up, it had had a mess o’ water in the main hull after a light choppy day. The owner was reminded that he didn’t create a seal around the rudder hatch as advised...I hope you solve it quickly as I am thinkin’ bout springin’ for tribal rights... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
   Have you tried blowing air (vacuum cleaner reversed/hair dryer on "cold"/compressor)into the hull and running soapy water around everything to see if bubbles form?    I had a nuisance leak for years that turned serious about a mile off shore motivating me to spend half a day finding the leak that way. 
   No, I don't have a Stealth, but have admired them from afar.  Afar as my computer screen that is.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
   Have you tried blowing air (vacuum cleaner reversed/hair dryer on "cold"/compressor)into the hull and running soapy water around everything to see if bubbles form?    I had a nuisance leak for years that turned serious about a mile off shore motivating me to spend half a day finding the leak that way. 
   No, I don't have a Stealth, but have admired them from afar.  Afar as my computer screen that is.
^^^ this ^^^ in my opinion 6 cups are too much.  I drenched all of my kayaks, the only one that has ever caught a half gallon was over a bad seal.  The rests never have more than 1-2 cups on a very bad wavey/windy day.  In general, inside a hull should be fairly dry ....

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guys-
Yeah its quite a lot of water in my experience with other kayaks so I’ll try the soapy water / compressed air (thanks Fuzzy) to see if that reveals the culprit and report of it shows anything. There can only be so many places and again I’m confident its below the waterline and not hatch, rod holders or deck side related but thanks for the thoughts to
check anywhere possible. Im sure I’ll sort it out but hope its a fairly simple cure. It’s a bit tricky to diagnose since there is virtually no access to the main/outter hull....this is not happening in the fish hold.
Thanks again.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I had that problem a few years ago and they put the kayak up on horses and filled it with water which showed that one of the skipper holes had a leak. Sounds like an easy way to check for leaks.
Steve

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I had that problem a few years ago and they put the kayak up on horses and filled it with water which showed that one of the skipper holes had a leak. Sounds like an easy way to check for leaks.
Steve
I never tried this, but I think this is a better simpler idea, not to mentioned it will help clean the inside of the kayak :)

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
That makes lots of sense making it easier to do and easier to locate. Some mild is detergent on the outside areas wont hurt for good measure ;) I’ll let ya know what comes of it. Thanks

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
My 575 has been taking on water at increasing rate over the last several years, really since I had it it took water. The last three that I fished it it took on so much that it rolled every time out. If I didn’t roll offshore then when landing. One of them I was hooked up to a big lively salmon in rough water off the south end of Stinson with a sea lion chasing it and the stealth rolled, shoulda had a GoPro going

Rolled the landing at Linda Mar a few years back w AlexB who helped me pull it up the beach and drain, it drained full flow for a few minutes from the main hull

I went through the testing process multiple times and repaired what I thought were minor leaks, still took on gallons of h2o. Didnt pin down the big leak until I put water in the hull with it upside down on sawhorses

Turned out the cable housings for rudder cables wore through where they attach inside the hull. If I can figure how to load video of it here it will show how much water

Per Bruce my 575 was the first shipped to the US, they have since changed design and put reinforcements where the cable housings attach to inside of the hull. That should make it a lifetime yak, no such luck with mine

Incidentally my first yak is also a double hull, the whole idea being it won’t sink, that one is still water tight. Bought that in 1972(probably built 1968) and fished it daily for decades

My understanding is that South Africa requires double hull construction for kayaks, not sure why any amount of leak would be considered acceptable

A few cups of water isn’t really a problem, if it gets worse as mine did you should pay attention. My 575 is a backyard ornament until I find someone good enough to do a tricky repair

Upside is all my water time the last three years is surfing with my son who’s turning into quite the hotshot

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Blue kayak,

I wonder if you could abandon the cable housings, and run new ones. I needed to add steering cables to my eddyline and it was pretty easy considering the area inside the hull has inaccessible areas.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Steve
I never tried this, but I think this is a better simpler idea, not to mentioned it will help clean the inside of the kayak :)

Add a little bleach and slosh it around.

bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Blue kayak,

I wonder if you could abandon the cable housings, and run new ones. I needed to add steering cables to my eddyline and it was pretty easy considering the area inside the hull has inaccessible areas.

That’s the problem, the space the cables run through is inaccessible unless I do what Brett suggested and cut an access hole in the hull, which then has to be patched somehow

Be interested to know what you did w yours, if it was a similar situation

I thought maybe use the existing cables to string new housing and glass it with some kind of reinforcements at both ends

I believe on the newer ones they did a better design, reinforced where cables exit the hull

Mine took water in the outer hull from the start, and then the rudder cables sawed through the glass and the cable housing in a few short years

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Blue kayak,

That’s the problem, the space the cables run through is inaccessible unless I do what Brett suggested and cut an access hole in the hull, which then has to be patched somehow

Be interested to know what you did w yours, if it was a similar situation

I thought maybe use the existing cables to string new housing and glass it with some kind of reinforcements at both ends

I believe on the newer ones they did a better design, reinforced where cables exit the hull

Mine took water in the outer hull from the start, and then the rudder cables sawed through the glass and the cable housing in a few short years

Can you send a picture of the area with the leak? It sounds more complicated than my situation. I purchased my kayak without a rudder but the cable entrance and exit points are molded during the thermaform process. I drilled holes at those points and then used a magnet to pull fishing line with a tiny piece of metal on the end in side the hull from hole to hole. Then I used the fishing line to pull the cable through. Still having plenty of extra cable the housing(plastic tubing) is fed over the cable, and then the cable is used to pull the housing through. Once the housing is secured at each end the cable is pulled out, and the housing is heated to enlarge the end so it can’t pull back into the hull. The cable is run back into the housing, and then cut to fit.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler