Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie AI/TI aluminum haka benches  (Read 8346 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Blank Slate w/ Infinite Possibilities
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Awesome! Did you get a weight on it? Looking forward to how you going to mount it. Thanks again for being the point of contact

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Awesome! Did you get a weight on it? Looking forward to how you going to mount it. Thanks again for being the point of contact

According to my bathroom scale, they are 11.8 pounds.

LMK when you want to pick it up. I'm in the hills just off of highway 17, on the San Jose side of the summit.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
after discussion with Mark, I'm here to share my result with the new Aluminum HAKA bench. It does save me roughly 5 lbs.

I tested it out on the ocean last weekend with the GF on it. I mounted the HAKA upside down since the two end point was made for an AI/TI since my setup was a tad bit shorter. I secure a seat on the rail which held up just fine but did bend it slightly which was to be expected. The part I wasn't expecting was the middle of the HAKA was bent as well. Even if I mount the seat directly to the flat part of the HAKA, I would still think it would bend slightly.

I believe the swell going up and down with the additional weight of a person caused the HAKA to bend slightly. Not sure. It isn't a big issue since it is Aluminum so all I had to do was flip it upside down and stand on it which would straighten out a tad.

I'm thinking of hammering the side down and placing some aluminum bar on the edge as well to give it additional support. Hopefully it doesn't add a lot more weight to it.

Anyways just thought I give an update :)

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for sharing your results.

I suspect that the bench is stronger when right side up: the material that makes those rails is probably a lot stronger under tension than under compression.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I suspect that the bench is stronger when right side up: the material that makes those rails is probably a lot stronger under tension than under compression.

I have not had chance to test mine out yet, but I did balance one on a couple of 4x4s spaced apart like the akas and stood in the center. When bouncing up and down on it, it does flex a bit, but no permanent bend.

Since you had the seat near the aka and not near the center, it looks like it provided very little resistance to bending in that upside down configuration.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm not sure. Perhaps if it was mounted the way it was suppose to, it wouldn't bend? Since the side of the HAKA is rounded one way could provide more support than the other way?

I email the guy and he responded back with the following:

"you probably bent the piece a little bit and that started it folding. but if you straighten it out, you can probably take a couple piece of aluminum bar from the hardware store and reinforce it. I'd just rivet them on.
"

I'll probably do something like that when I figure how to hammer the side down flat. I should have been more detail when looking at the picture before buying it. I wasn't expecting the side to be raised up. I should have asked for just a straight board without any rolls or support and maybe ask for the heavier aluminum. Oh well. This will work for now. Thanks Mark for all your help in coordinating this. I'm sure this will work with your setup.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

"you probably bent the piece a little bit and that started it folding. but if you straighten it out, you can probably take a couple piece of aluminum bar from the hardware store and reinforce it. I'd just rivet them on.
"

I hate to say it, but for all of that trouble, I think I'd just go with the spine board that I see in your picture. It looks like you could just bungee that to your aka bars, and then bungee the seat onto it.

Anyways, it's a bummer that the aluminum bench is giving you so much trouble. I feel bad about that, and I'd be glad to refund your money if it's not going to be useful for you.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

My plan was to reinforce mine with a 1.5x1.5 aluminum square tubing straight down the middle.  I think that will do the job and the added weight will be minimal.  Probably will end up adding some pool noodles and  velcro underneath.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

"

I hate to say it, but for all of that trouble, I think I'd just go with the spine board that I see in your picture. It looks like you could just bungee that to your aka bars, and then bungee the seat onto it.

Anyways, it's a bummer that the aluminum bench is giving you so much trouble. I feel bad about that, and I'd be glad to refund your money if it's not going to be useful for you.

It’s not much trouble Mark and please don’t feel bad!! I love trying out new things out. Whatever can make it easier to transport I’m all in. I like the aluminum haka since I’m thinking of mounting my other DR on it to troll. I couldn’t do that with the spline board. The aluminum has a lot of option!!

My setup is unique so I knew that going into it! You putting up the upfront cost and working the logistics on getting it is awesome.

I do use straps to mount it on my setup. Was going to do the quick fist mount but that means the person will sit higher. Making it tippy?

On another note yes sand those edges!! I cut myself a few times hence why I put duct tape on them!

michel

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Another possible option:
I got my hands on aluminum bleacher benches from a stadium renovation and have used them a few times as hakas on my older TI. Seem to work fine to support my 180lbs. Haven't tried bouncing on them. I think each one is about 10 lbs.

To keep them from sliding around I made some feet out of wood. I used a hole saw to cut with a profile that matches the ama.
Hobie AI

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

It’s not much trouble Mark and please don’t feel bad!!

On another note yes sand those edges!! I cut myself a few times hence why I put duct tape on them!

Glad to hear that you'll be able to make use of it! And, yes, the first thing I did was sand down the edges...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Another possible option:
I got my hands on aluminum bleacher benches from a stadium renovation and have used them a few times as hakas on my older TI. Seem to work fine to support my 180lbs. Haven't tried bouncing on them. I think each one is about 10 lbs.

To keep them from sliding around I made some feet out of wood. I used a hole saw to cut with a profile that matches the ama.

That's pretty cool. In fact, I'd been looking for aluminum bleacher seats for a while, as I figured that would be the ideal solution. But, they are pretty expensive new, and I never saw any used ones, so I decided to go for these sheet aluminum ones when they came up on the Hobie forum. I think bleacher seats should be very sturdy and easily support the weight of someone sitting on them out OTW.

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016