Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 07:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:08:32 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 08:12:02 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 11:04:28 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: BIG Fish  (Read 3185 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
you guys "worry" about tiny little spiders  :smt011 Fellas, come on! How about worrying about them snakes  :smt013

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
Releasing the big ones is a great thrill, and helping the health of the resource also feels excellent.  That's why I'm promoting the use of the giant net, detailed photos and releasing the big ones.  I probably could've found my 39" ling to be 40" if I would've kept it, but I'm really glad I let it go.  Last year I released a legal salmon at Shelter Cove, and I look forward to doing that more too.  I'm with Joel regarding salmon in the rivers - leave them alone!

That said, I kill plenty of fish during the course of the year.  What's key for me is the move away from the limit mentality and toward appreciation, utilization, and proliferation of the ethics that will help us get to a place where my kids can enjoy the same freedoms that we do.  I think my main motivation though is that I want to live in a beautiful world, and nature's creatures make the world more beautiful for me.

Last - I don't think holding a ling by the gill plate hurts it.  It's just MHO - my he-man opinion!   :smt003

Eric
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Releasing the big ones is a great thrill, and helping the health of the resource also feels excellent.  That's why I'm promoting the use of the giant net, detailed photos and releasing the big ones.  I probably could've found my 39" ling to be 40" if I would've kept it, but I'm really glad I let it go.  Last year I released a legal salmon at Shelter Cove, and I look forward to doing that more too.  I'm with Joel regarding salmon in the rivers - leave them alone!

That said, I kill plenty of fish during the course of the year.  What's key for me is the move away from the limit mentality and toward appreciation, utilization, and proliferation of the ethics that will help us get to a place where my kids can enjoy the same freedoms that we do.  I think my main motivation though is that I want to live in a beautiful world, and nature's creatures make the world more beautiful for me.

Last - I don't think holding a ling by the gill plate hurts it.  It's just MHO - my he-man opinion!   :smt003

Eric

WORD UP!! :smt003

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
That said, I kill plenty of fish during the course of the year.  What's key for me is the move away from the limit mentality and toward appreciation, utilization, and proliferation of the ethics that will help us get to a place where my kids can enjoy the same freedoms that we do. 

Now THAT's the stuff!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
After spending many hours using a vacuum (non-toxic, right?) to remove spiders inside and outside the house each year, I'm tempted to go all WMD on the eight legged freaks and call in Orkin/Clark etc...

Scott

Whoo almost saw the emoticon w/o it even being there. :smt005
Easy ST... easy... :smt056

Now go get em!!! :smt068

Z :smt003

Actually, I'm feeling sort of dispassionate about the situation. To paraphrase the William Munny character  "Them spiders got it comin', kid. ".

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
That said, I kill plenty of fish during the course of the year.  What's key for me is the move away from the limit mentality and toward appreciation, utilization, and proliferation of the ethics that will help us get to a place where my kids can enjoy the same freedoms that we do.

Now THAT's the stuff!

Well said  :smt004
-FF

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Good post, Eric.
I totally agree with you: not all fish were meant to be kept. Although, it is much easier for me to SAY I'd release a 40" ling in favor of a 25" ling than to actually DO IT. Shoot, I HOPE that is a decision I have to make someday.

I'm not trying to boast here, but I have only kept about 20 rockfish this year. Releasing well over 300 rockies (estimate).
BUT...every now and then...I gotta bonk a blue and hang em over the side, "Otherwise, the other stupid blues ain't gonna learn nothin!" You know, kind of like a reminder that there are consequences for hitting my swimbait every time I try to send it to the bottom.

PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
You're right on, PK.  WTG on the C&R ratio for the year. 

I totally agree too about how hard it can be to release a big fish, but the photos, measurements and sometimes even weighing make all the difference for how it feels.  I admit that I wouldn't want to release as many nice fish if I didn't get the documentation.

The big net thing is working out so well for me that I just gotta push it on everybody.  I want to see everyone have success when they encounter a big fish, and I didn't learn for many years how easy it is with the big net.  Promise you'll all show up at Shelter Cove some day with a big net!

Look how dinky the 37" 21 pounder looks in the big net - you gotta have one!   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
Are you just trying to push the "big net" on us because of the salmon that was lost when you and AsaBspade fished the Cove?! LOL! Where's that video?

J/K! I use a big net now. Just a normal salmon net from Walmart. Another advantage of the big net is visibility. I am much more visible in a big swell with that huge net sticking up from the back of my yak. This can be good for a number of reasons...especially in high-boat-traffic areas!

Sorry for the thread jack, Eric B!
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything