Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:58:50 AM]

[Today at 07:40:24 AM]

[Today at 07:36:25 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:59:06 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:14:25 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 08:09:22 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 05:46:39 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 04:11:20 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:05:07 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: FishFinder location - left or right side?  (Read 3269 times)

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Just throwing an alternative out there - after deciding the sides of my boat were too cluttered when configured for trolling I decided to mount my FF on my center hatch. I like and will continue doing this with future kayaks/FFs, but it's not without its drawbacks, namely:
- Makes the front hatch even more inaccessible on the water
- Accessing center hatch takes a little more effort

How you can pedal with that huge thing between your legs?

Uhhh... years of experience?

But for real, it doesn't impact peddling. Maybe due in large part to the hobie lawnchair seat?
Center mount doesn't leave enough room for the fish  :smt002.

Also, I haven't asked how many guys do this, but I typically relieve myself by aiming for the drive well. The depthfinder would be in the way of the beginning and ending of the stream.
aMayesing Bros.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I love using the mast tube mount personally.  I do not need to fiddle with my FF most of the time otw, and use my toe to hit the enter button twice to save a waypoint.  On my AI I mounted in the front left aka, still within the reach of my toes, but the whole rest of the left hand side is clear for landing fish or re-boarding the yak.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I agree with goofy.

Also, I haven't asked how many guys do this, but I typically relieve myself by aiming for the drive well.

I don't and I carry a bottle.
-Jason

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

[/quote]
Center mount doesn't leave enough room for the fish  :smt002.

Also, I haven't asked how many guys do this, but I typically relieve myself by aiming for the drive well. The depthfinder would be in the way of the beginning and ending of the stream.
[/quote]

LOL, The mirage drive well is the Hobie latrine.  Not only does it get used for relieving #1, but here in SE Florida where the water is 80 degrees, I use the mirage drive opening for #2 as well.  My FF is mounted on my right side for constant viewing.  It's a major form of entertainment.  Even when the fishing is slow, If the activity is high on the FF, It keeps me motivated to keep trying.  Sometimes I will even meter a fish chasing the jig.  I am constantly adjusting the scale, and destination and/or putting new reference marks on the FF.  In the screenshot, a fish is seen checking out my downrigger set up 90ft down.

JonM

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
The buttons for my fishfinder are along its right edge, so I find it easiest to reach with my right hand and push buttons with my thumb while stabilizing my fingers against the edge of the fishfinder as I’m bouncing around in the chop. I also tend to do most of my fishing and netting on the left side, so for these reasons the fishfinder is mounted on my right.

I do the exact same way with my 2022 Hobie Outback.  Also, I like to keep my left side clear to get on and off the kayak from left side.

Paul

I was just thinking about the same - but for my right/starboard side.  One of the reasons why I keep that side entirely clear - I like to wade out to about knee/thigh deep water and hop on from the side. Having no obstructions makes this a LOT easier.

These are all great input, thanks all. I do mount my kayak from the left, and saw a lot of people mount the FF on the right because of that, but I though (assumed) most people mount the FF after a successful launch? Am I missing something here?

Jon M
Jon M

Hobie Outback - Mango

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

These are all great input, thanks all. I do mount my kayak from the left, and saw a lot of people mount the FF on the right because of that, but I though (assumed) most people mount the FF after a successful launch? Am I missing something here?

Jon M
If I'm launching into the surf, I mount the depthfinder before I launch. Place a gallon Ziplock bag over the depthfinder, secured with a rubber band to keep it and the connections from getting too doused with saltwater. I enter the kayak on the right side, free of obstructions. Once I'm beyond the surf line, I mount my rod holder on the right side of the kayak.

I try my best to ensure my depthfinder is in working order before I launch. If something isn't working, it's a PITA to figure out the issue when you're on the water, whether it's a corroded battery terminal or sand/mud in the transducer area or whatever. Much easier to deal with when you're on the shore.
aMayesing Bros.

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018

How you can pedal with that huge thing between your legs?
[/quote]

That’s what she said…
Fish & let fish

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Gofer, I guess you either didn’t read the whole thread and see 3 replied w that on the 20th or that it’d be funnier repeated?
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

anything